Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed dust cap was missing on left side of singarm. Looked in and it appears the bolt has broken. I assume I just need to drive out the old bolt and replace with new bolt and nut. Any tips?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Tip #1: Don’t drive out the shaft! The bolt threads into the end of the swingarm shaft. See if you can unscrew what’s left of the bolt and replace it. It may not be in there very tight at all.

And Whatever You Do
DON’T RIDE UNTIL IT IS REPAIRED!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill. It snapped off right at the thread, so turning the head did not work it out. Lightly tapped it and it came right out. Now waiting on the parts:( I have never had the swing arm off, so not sure how this happened. Bike had 19K miles on it when I bought it 3 years ago, has 48k on it now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took the cover off to check again after 2k miles with the replacement and it is broken again. Any thoughts on what would be causing this? I ride solo and weigh about 185lbs so I don't think that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
You need to check the swing arm itself for bad bearings or any damage. Also check the threads are still intact.

Go to www.Manualslib.com for an online factory manual to get the swing arm procedure.

As for the bolt, the strongest commercial-quality bolt is grade 8, marked by six raised dashes; its medium-carbon alloy steel has been quenched and tempered to achieve a tensile strength of 150,000 psi. Torque it to 65 lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just using the oem part, so I don't know what its grade is. I did not use a torque wrench last time, I will be sure to use one for the replacement that is on the way. Yes the broken end and nut were still in the cap.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I guess you got deeper problems for the bolt to break twice...Check the swingarm & bearings thoroughly..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what to check, but I just relubed the bearings, and the shaft seems to rotate smoothly. Both times it was broken right at the end of the nut, so I am going to assume the one I installed was over torqued. I don't see how it could be shearing there for any other reason unless there is side to side stress. When I get the replacement I will torque it to specs and inspect daily to see how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put in the replacement swingarm bolt. Used a torque wrench this time. If anything my last installation was not torqued tight enough, I was surprised how much force was needed for 65 ft-lb.

Swingarm swung up and down with no resistance and there was no side play, so will check after every ride for a while to ensure its integrity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts