Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, on the way home from work the clutch cable broke. I used a pair of pliers to try and keep shifting, praying for neutral at red lights. It's going to take a week for the part to come in so I haven't ordered it yet. I will try and get it overnight.

Anyone know of a trick which would make it easier on me so I don't have to use lock pliers to shift?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. I don't know if this would work, but you might take a look and see. Years ago, while on a trip with a couple other riders, my buddy's Triumph broke the clutch cable. He was able to wrap the remaining portion of the cable around a short stick. Then when he wanted to shift gears, he reached down and pulled up on that stick to engage the clutch. He was able to get the bike home this way.

BTW, how many miles have you got on your bike? Do you do a lot of city riding (lots of gear changing)?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
the best trick is to park the bike until you fix it !!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry to hear of your problem. I don't know if this would work, but you might take a look and see. Years ago, while on a trip with a couple other riders, my buddy's Triumph broke the clutch cable. He was able to wrap the remaining portion of the cable around a short stick. Then when he wanted to shift gears, he reached down and pulled up on that stick to engage the clutch. He was able to get the bike home this way.

BTW, how many miles have you got on your bike? Do you do a lot of city riding (lots of gear changing)?
I actually tried a tire repair kit tool. Thank you for the advice. I wound up cutting the casing and rerouting the cable. I used two sets of Small vice grips to latch onto the wireand used special tape to attache them to the clutch lever.

6000 miles and yes I do use the clutch a lot

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if cable is half good check with a bicycle shop the in my area some sell cable ends
I examined the ends and figured they wouldn't be able to be replaced. My buddy owned a bike repair shop. Thanks for your advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts