Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my saddle bags off in anticipation of putting new ones on and the previous owner had broken a bolt and an ez-out off in it. I removed the rear fender to get at it from the back side to no avail.....I heated it up and letting it cool and sprayed penetrant on it. What else could I do? I'm about to cut it off and reweld a new boss on.....

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,991 Posts
the way to get that broken bolt out of there is with an extraction drill bit kit and electric drill on reverse, ya drill a small pilot hole in the center of the broken bolt and use the extractor bit to back that bolt out of there, the extractor bit kits have a chart to show what carbide drill bit to use for each size extractor

·
Registered
203 Posts
the way to get that broken bolt out of there is with an extraction drill bit kit and electric drill on reverse, ya drill a small pilot hole in the center of the broken bolt and use the extractor bit to back that bolt out of there, the extractor bit kits have a chart to show what carbide drill bit to use for each size extractor
if i understand the o/p correctly, he's saying that someone else already tried that, and broke it off inside the bolt

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
162 Posts
I can't see how far it is from being flush in the picture..with steel you place a nut on top..then weld the nut to the broken bolt and extractor..from inside the nut..works great...as it heats up the broken bolt/ expanding it..since it really can't expand..it shrinks a little while it cools and comes out alot easier...This may not work though without the bracket being iron or steel..as the bracket may have too low of a melting temperature..I expect an experienced welder could possibility pull it off though...tack...wait..tack..some of those guys are pretty good

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I broke off an e-z out in a Honda 750 head in the 70's. I used a Dremel tool with a small carbide burr bit to delicately whittle away at the bolt remnants, being softer than the e-z out. Of course I also ate into the head threads and had to install a thread repair insert once finished. You'll probably have to do likewise.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
162 Posts
So I took my saddle bags off in anticipation of putting new ones on and the previous owner had broken a bolt and an ez-out off in it. I removed the rear fender to get at it from the back side to no avail.....I heated it up and letting it cool and sprayed penetrant on it. What else could I do? I'm about to cut it off and reweld a new boss on..... View attachment 248164 View attachment 248165

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 1700 Classic
13 Posts
I did the same thing on mine...over torqued saddlebag bolt. Mine was an M8, so I started with a small drill bit and worked my way up, finishing on 17/64. Use an M8 x 1.25 tap and you'll be as good as new.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep, you can do all of that....they make tap extractors....use one.
If you still can't get it out, can't drill it out (taps are extremely hard in the center, thread chasers are not)....go to your local machine shop, have the welder there blow it out with a 00 or a 000 tip on their torch.....its quick, easy, about a 15 minutes job after he sits beside your bike and lights the torch. Wrap a welding blanket around your seat, fender and tires.....
I used to charge $10....free for friends....

Damn! Suns shining, 60 degrees....
My ass is gone riding!

Reactions: rc4man
1 - 8 of 8 Posts