Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was replacing my shocks earlier today the first one went on fine no problems but as I was tightening the top nut on the second shock I lost my balance and all my weight went onto the wrench and it sheared the bolt. Can I fix/replace the bolt?? I didn't see any obvious way to do so. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Can you give a picture of where you sheared the bolt? How much of the bolt is poking out if any? Depending on how much of the bolt is left above the surface you might be able to attach something to turn it out. Otherwise you can try your luck with a bolt remover. If the bolt is really large in diameter you might be able to drill out the center and slowly widen the hole to relieve thread pressure and then back it out with a bolt remover.

If it is really bad and nothing works you can drill the whole thing out and use Heli-coil and reset it like new. Be careful in this department though and make sure the hole you drill is as perfect as possible otherwise you will run into problems inserting the heli-coil. I have done 4 helicoil replacements (in my lifetime) and the first was bad but each successive one was much better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Broken bolt

So I was replacing my shocks earlier today the first one went on fine no problems but as I was tightening the top nut on the second shock I lost my balance and all my weight went onto the wrench and it sheared the bolt. Can I fix/replace the bolt?? I didn't see any obvious way to do so. Thanks for the help
I would definitely go for drilling out the centre and using an "easy out"

The hole sized drilled is specific to the easy out, places like Amazon will have them.

Russ

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Before attempting any drilling, me personally I would first try a small pointed punch and try to turn/tap it out. Usually there is a ridge on the break on the bolt stud that can be used to seat a punch. If not just give a few solid taps on the end of the stud away from the center, creating a dimple to use to seat the punch in. Then angle it opposite the direction needed to turn it out, then get to tapping. Once it has a few threads outside the hole you should be able to back it out with your fingers, hopefully. Other wise get it backed out to the point where you can get a vise grip or pliers on it to back it out the rest of the way.

If that fails and drilling is imminent, then use a punch to get a nice dimple directly in the center of the stud before drilling. Otherwise your drill bit may walk to the outside and you don't want to damage any threads.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pics will definitely help when you get a chance.

If there's any bolt still sticking out of the hole, try to grab it with a pair of as-tight-as-your-hands-can-get vice grips or possibly carefully weld a piece of scrap to the bolt if you can do so without getting anything else too hot.

You may have to try to drill it out and use a bolt remover set like some have suggested as well although that's usually last resort for me because you run the risk of goobering up your threads if you go crooked. I smoked a pair of bars that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts