Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... got it in the mail today and had in on within an hour, not too bad. had to make the 2X6/8 bike jack first! woohoo...

anyway... pics follow

FIRST COMPLAINT:
The damn thing came with no instructions?!?! So i looked them up on line (no big deal) and followed them... BUT THEY ARE WRONG! because of one major flaw with their product... the 3" setting would not except the bolt (it was too small of a slot)... so i had to keep working the back end back and forth to get it to get in all the way... but here is the problem, DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLT UNTIL THE BIKE IS OFF THE LIFT!! once the bike is down and you can sit on it and bounce a little, you will get it to settle in the lowest position... THEN you can tighten the 17mm bolt/nut.

SECOND COMPLAINT:
SERIOUS BELT DAMAGE IS HIGHLY LIKELY!!!! The forward bottom bolt for the reservoir actually hits the belt when in lowest position (3" drop). i immediately heard the scraping on the belt when i pushed the bike back and forth... had to cut off about 3/8" of the bolt.

THIRD COMPLAINT:
roller bearings are EXTREMELY tight!!! the shaft slid out of the stock armature like it was buttered?!?! i had to hammer it into the Britt piece...

Aside from those three complaints, it does what it intended! good look but my vance & hines do drag now if i take a right turn too sharp!?!? DHOPE!

(is that HOP WALLOP in the picture?!?! ooooops!)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Your bike looks alot better lowered. Is'nt it worth all the aggrivasion? I had the same issues you had except for the second complaint. I didn't have that problem. Over all, I am happy with mine. Good job and enjoy her.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your bike looks alot better lowered. Is'nt it worth all the aggrivasion? I had the same issues you had except for the second complaint. I didn't have that problem. Over all, I am happy with mine. Good job and enjoy her.
thanks!
hmmm... wonder how my bolt could have been longer and hit. did you get yours bottomed in the 3" slot all the way?

i gotta think of a way to fix the scraping... it will get worse once the 6DEG rake goes on?!?!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not bad. Good review but I never seen any complains on this before. If you ride two up ocassionaly get used to draging those pipes very often. I never lowered mine and with a combined weight of about 350 lbs between my wife and I we used to drag them all the time when I had the 180 stocker on the rear. I know am one of the very few but I still like the look of the classic fender on the custom. The custom feder withour a lowering kit looks like a dirt bike and if lowered then the rear wheel looks too close to the front. But to each his own right. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was able to convince the bolt to go into the full drop slot, but I had to open it up some with a drill bit. I don't remember the drill bit size, but it just took off a very small bit of material. So with that and the shaft being a tight fit in the bearings, it went on fairly easy. I don't have a clue on what happened with your bolt issue. I double checked my bike today and didn't have anything close to what you described. Did you adjust your shock setting to keep from bottoming and maybe help with scraping? And like Classtom said, at stock hight, we got a dirt bike fender, lowered makes it fit the bike alot better. I changed my rear tire so I never noticed if the tires looked the same or not. I am interested in what your bike will look like with the 6DEG rake. You have peeked my interest!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the compliments!

classtom - never ride 2-up! i specifically wanted a solo seat for that reason! :) and have caught crap for it?!?! oh well...

gillisfire - i had the shock tension relaxed for the install and then retightened it... that may have been the issue with the bolt. nevertheless it didn't hurt anything snipping a bit off. as for the RAKE, that is a mod some time in the future! :)

sean - i have looked at that package but am not gonna drop a couple grand into getting a new fender, new rim, etc. just for the look... i will do custom work to it myself and have a friend weld or re-weld the bracket under the stock fender so it is a tighter look... i am convinced i can minimize the cost of this mod to well under $500, just need to come up with a good plan...

my fender mod will have to wait until i replace the rear tire with the Venom 200... i know this will also give me about 1" less clearance between the tire and fender and that's what i am trying to achieve. then i will look at slightly mod'ing the fender bracket to get the look i want and then will have to make a custom fender... probably out of fiberglass.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ouch, I hate to be a party-pooper but the ScootWorks LoRidr kit goes on without having to disassemble the bike. Only a jack is required. Additionally, I have moved back and forth between the 3 (1", 2", & 3") settings with nothing but a jack, if that. Finally, the LoRidr is an exact replacement for the OEM lower tie rod and uses the OEM nut and bolt so there's no issue with the belt. At most my belt needed readjustment when I took my bike from stock to 3-inches.
On Thursday I re-tyred and took the rear of my Classic from a 180/70-15 to a 200/70-15 which adds about a 1/2" of height to the rear of the bike so prior to that, last Saturday, I changed the LoRidr setting from the 2" position to the 3" position with only a jack. In fact, if I remember correctly, when going the other way you don't even need a jack.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hay pjd52, the ScootWorks and Brit lowering kits are bassicly the same. I can put my bike back to stock hight and full drop with just the use of a jack and wrench. Oh and a couple 2x4's to pull my back tire onto since my bike is to low to put the bike jack under. Any way, both kits are good and do the same functions. The diss-assembly of the bikes during installation is the same except that the Britt set up comes with the bushings and seals already installed. That is what we are talking about being a tight fit in complaint #3.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Gillis, I was commenting on the fact that in the pics the rear tire was removed. Is that a requirement to get the Britt lowering kit on because it is not on the Scootworks version. The only issue I've ever had is that once the bike is lowered the bolt tends to hit the frame when attempting to back the bolt out to change height setting. That is alleviated by simply sliding a floor jack under any part of the frame to lift it ever so slightly. I did not even have to get my cycle jack out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry if I came across rudly. Only had one cup of coffee when I responded. No you don't need to remove the rear tire, but it does make it easier as it removes alot of wait so you can move things around without the extra fight. I haven't had the issue with the bolt hitting the frame, it is close though. The couple of times I did adjust the hight, I backed my bike up on a couple of 2x4's to get some ground clearence. That way if I do need to put the jack under it, it is already high enough to fit.

Back to the main point, It was some helpfull info Jagered posted, I wish I had it when I did mine. I think our 900's look so much better lowered. The dirt bike fender fits alot better and has a cleaner look. Either one of the lowering kits are good and worth the money.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HEY NOW!

yea, after doing it... the rear doesn't have to come off, IF you have a real bike jack... i may have been able to do it without taking the tire off but it actually worked out good because i was able to inspect the fender bracket and get ideas for my next mod.

all good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didnt have any issues as you described but went the full 3" and found the rear tire will scrape the inner fender splash gaurd. I had to cut a v section out the top of it to stop. I put the rear Britt fender on and it looks sick!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok... i tried raising up to the (supposedly) 2" setting after scraping the vance&hines alot... the feel of it feels like it is at the stock height?!?! not 2" lower?!?! w-t-f???? how can 1" make that much of a "feel" difference?!!?

·
Registered
29 Posts
lowering kit

Hi; I was reading your lowering/ pipe dragging issues. I own a 09 orange 900 custom (my baby) this was my 1st summer with it. I got a 2in. lowering kit on e-bay. $134.50, and at the same time put a avon 230 rear tire on. I set it on the 2 in. drop, because the 230 tire is so much taller, than the 180. the stock pipes NEVER drag, I have just barely touched a foot peg once, & `scraped my heel a few times. front is stock hight. Very glad I set it up like it is. (many compliments)

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
i put britt rear fender on with a 200/70/15 rear metzler tire I lowered it w/bt
ritt lowering the full 3 inches and would rub my rock guard in places so I put it up to 2 inches and cut the top of rock guard off what i could and tightened the shock I hope it all works out for me I get it back on road in a couple days I also had to customize my britt solo seat and make it a pin installation instead of a bolt on Or i would of never got to the bolt Oh i also took my top belt guard completely off I think it looks better

1 - 18 of 18 Posts