Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in hearing about what kind of mileage you get running the bridgestone exedra max tires? I have a 2012 nomad, with both front and rear bridgestone exedra max. I have 5000 miles on them now, lots of tread left. Planning a trip from missouri to yellowstone and glacier national parks later this year. Probably will put around 4000-5000 miles on the bike. I already ordered a replacement rear tire, planning to put it on before the trip. just trying to figure out how many miles we get out of these tires. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
If you have 5,000 miles and lots of tread left, you are doing much better than most. When I bought my Voyager (used) part of the deal was new tires and the recommended Exedras are what they used. I was on the wear bars with a good bit less than 6000 miles. I liked the grip, but not the mileage combined with the price.

I have over 16,000 miles on my Michelin Commader IIs and should get at least 19,000 out of them, but I'm don't like the grip on wet roads and especially on tar snakes in the hot Georgia summer. The Bridgestones were much better in that area.

I've heard lots of good things about Shinko 777HDs. Good quality, similar grip, possibly a little better wear to the Exedras, and MUCH cheaper. I'm going to try them next.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine was dead after about 6,000 miles out of my rear tire. Very disappointed! I expected much better.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Don't expect high mileage out of a soft rubber tire. With softer rubber compounds, you get better grip at the expense of longevity. With harder rubber, you get longevity at the expense of grip. With multi-compound tires, the center is hard for better longevity and the sides softer for grip in turns.

MC IIs are multi-compound, but the tech for those tires does not supply good enough grip in rain, or on hot tar snakes for me. If I hear enough good things about MC IIIs, I may give them a try, but I want to hear that the grip has improved from people who were not satisfied with the grip of MC IIs before I'll try them.

Shinko 777HDs and Bridgestone Exedras are soft rubber. Good grip, short life.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don't expect high mileage out of a soft rubber tire. With softer rubber compounds, you get better grip at the expense of longevity. With harder rubber, you get longevity at the expense of grip. With multi-compound tires, the center is hard for better longevity and the sides softer for grip in turns.

MC IIs are multi-compound, but the tech for those tires does not supply good enough grip in rain, or on hot tar snakes for me. If I hear enough good things about MC IIIs, I may give them a try, but I want to hear that the grip has improved from people who were not satisfied with the grip of MC IIs before I'll try them.

Shinko 777HDs and Bridgestone Exedras are soft rubber. Good grip, short life.
I agree with your entire post. But Bridgestone, on it's own website states "Optimum compound and structure/pattern design for cruisers are used. Excellent dry and wet grip performances, as well as long wear life, have been achieved." And "Riders who want to enjoy long and comfortable highway touring.", also on it's website. "long wear life" and "long... highway touring"... NOT!

I would expect low mileage out of oem's or the less expensive options that are available, but a tire designed for highway touring should do better than 6K +/-. Heck, some of my rides have been in excess of that mileage! Not on my list of things to do on a long-distance trip is to take a day out to have my rear tire changed!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I agree with your entire post. But Bridgestone, on it's own website states "Optimum compound and structure/pattern design for cruisers are used. Excellent dry and wet grip performances, as well as long wear life, have been achieved." And "Riders who want to enjoy long and comfortable highway touring.", also on it's website. "long wear life" and "long... highway touring"... NOT!

I would expect low mileage out of oem's or the less expensive options that are available, but a tire designed for highway touring should do better than 6K +/-. Heck, some of my rides have been in excess of that mileage! Not on my list of things to do on a long-distance trip is to take a day out to have my rear tire changed!
I worked in R&D for a fortune 500 company and I can promise you that marketing departments will never exaggerate the quality or functionality of their products or make statements about their products that the development departments don't back up. :rolleyes: (watching for lightning to strike me after that statement)

Honestly, I think the only reasons that Bridgestone still sells Exedras and at such a premium price is because the manuals for the 1700s state that "use only the recommended standard tires for replacement,," which are the Excedras, and some people slavishly think that any other tire is not acceptable because of that statement. I have seen several comments on this and other forums stating that you should only use the tires that Kawi recommends (and at the ridiculous low pressure for the front tire that the manual "requires") and using anything else is dangerous. That and some people think price = quality and won't even consider a cheaper tire like Shinkos, in spite of there being relatively few complaints about Shinkos compared to other, more popular and expensive brands.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
356 Posts
Once again I agree you Sabre-T. While not in a fortune 500 company, I was in automotive retail for a very long time (30+years) and agree that statements are made to promote sales while "skirting" the truth. (No lightning is wished upon you!!) The thing that bothers me with the Excedra Max is that Bridgestone touts it to be their newer "high mileage" tire when it's no better than the regular Excedra's that came on the bike. As a result of that claim I tried the max on my rear and after a 4200 mile trip it only had enough for another 1500! Anyway, I think we're saying the same thing. As for now, I'll stick with the Metzler 888's. Not as many miles as the MCII's are yielding for many, but always good for 10-13,000 dependable miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am pretty sure after I get back from my trip I will change tire brands. I got the exedra max rear because I didn't want to mix tire brands, as I still have the front exedra max on the bike. After the trip they both will need to be changed again and I will look at my options. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
222 Posts
By the end of a 3000 mile trip a few years ago, I had 9000 miles on the second set of tires which were the Excedra Max's on my Voyager. Tread virtually gone from rear tire....no cord showing but shot. Running Metzler 888's now....6K miles and plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My OEM Excedra Rear was showing cord at 6000 miles. They were no better the Dunlop 404 that came on my VN900.
For sure. OEM Bridgestone on the Voyagers pretty bottom basement for wear. I replaced at 6000 as well....and that is about average of what most Voyager owners seem to get. Since then, I run more psi on advise from many...40/42. Happy with the Metzlers I put on last year.

·
Super Moderator
448 Posts
I have about 12,000 km (7500 miles) on my front and about 8000 km (5000 miles) on the rear of my 07 Nomad. The front will need replacing in a few thousand more kms and I expect to get the rest of the season out of the rear. I put these on after buying the bike used and it had the same tires on it then but I have no idea of the mileage. I know on my Vstar I was lucky to get 6000 miles out of a set of Kendas so I'm more or less happy with them for what I paid and the way they handle. I may try Michelins next if I can get one that will fit the back and the cost isn't prohibitive (they were close to $1000 for a set here the last time I priced them).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts