Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...has any one had issues with their Bridgestone front tire cupping on each side of tire center....at only 2 to 3k miles? If so, did warranty (either Kaw or Bridgestone) cover it? My ride is a V2K Classic. Still on the first year.
Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What air pressure are you running? I run 38 lbs. in the front and 42 in the rear. At 4800 miles, my tires still look great. Sometimes, the road surfaces will cause the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bridgestone

I think Bridgestone is generally accepted to make crappy motorcycle tires, your mileage is really low for this symtom of improper inflation. I've had it occur at 7000 and the credit for the odd wear was given to me as low air pressure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you run them at 42psi rear and 40psi front it will not cup as fast from my experience. One thing you might want to do when you replace your front, is get a rear tire in that size and run it reversed as to the arrow on the tire. Rear tires are generally 2-4 mm deeper in tread depth and will last much longer on the front. Metzeler even says this is acceptable right on their website. I have done this many times, and have got as much as 17K on my old Voyager, and 19K on my Venture. If you notice most tread patterns are opposite from front to rear, therefore putting a rear tire on the front reversed makes sense. It also has to do with the way the tread is mounted on the carcass.

Many guys on the Delphi forums are doing this with their Vulcan's also.

Here is the direct quote from the Metzeler site,

FAQ # 3. Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?

When producing tires, the top cap is heated with an angle bump on the carcass. To prevent the detachment of the assembled edges the tire has to be mounted (concerning the main stress: acceleration force at the rear wheel or brake force at the front wheel) corresponding to the respective declaration.
Therefore the declaration of the driving direction at the tires� sidewall is a very important safety regard and has to be noticed absolute. It is not allowed to mount front tires at rear wheels.
In case you intend to mount a rear tire on a front wheel it has to be assembled contrary to the driving direction declaration (direction of the arrow at the tires� sidewall). Please observe the standards in your country. In any doubts we kindly ask you to consult your dealer.

The link is here,

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/technology/faq/default.page

·
Registered
22 Posts
cupping

I have a 05 vn2000 and the oe tire had to be replaced at 9k due to bad cupping. It switch to Metzeler tires front and rear. I now have 15k and the front tire is cupping again. I run 35 lbs in front and 40 in rear. I do not know what to do. Any suggestions from anyone?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just picked up an 05 VN2000 Limited and it has 7k on it and the front tire is cupped. Pressure was 38 lb. when I got it but I don't know how the pressure was maintained before I got it. It has a new Metz 880 on the rear and was going to see if I can get a Metz 880 rear the same size as the front and mount it backwards to the arrow.

Steve E........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same problem

Just purchased a 2005 VN2000 with Bridgestone Battlax and had the same problem. The bike had 4400 miles on it, and the tech indicated that it had been run with low air pressure. I"m not sure this is the cause, but can't argue since I have no idea how carefully the previous rider checked it. Seems a little strange to me, however, that "slightly" low air pressure could cause that type of well-defined cupping that I experienced. Replace the tire with one identical to it...........if it happens again I'm dumping Bridgestone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I spoke with Metzler and the Gentleman I spoke with definitely warned against putting a rear tire on the front mounted contradictory to the arrow. So I guess I will get the Metz 880 for the front and go with that. The Metz rep said that that tire was designed for the Vulcan 2000.

Steve E.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
cupping

I have a 2006 V2K . The original Bridgestone tires only lasted 8200 kms . Put new Cobras on and have over 10000 kms on them and are still great .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I own a 2009 V2K that came with Bridgestone tires on it and the front tire with only 4400 miles on it is wearing badly. It is not cupping but rather has what appears to be bumps the size of a dime spaced about 1 1/2" apart completely around the circumference of the tire. There are two rows of them and they stand out like a sore thumb.
Of course Kawasaki says it's normal tire wear for the V2K so I had to throw the BULL*%IT penalty flag on them. It is not wear, it is internal damage to the tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ran 43 lbs on dunlops E3's on a goldwing and got about 24,000 miles. thats a pretty heavy bike with a sloppy front end........run 'em hard, but watch the wet !!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Put a Bias on the front. Here's a story. I put alot of miles on my Nomad. Metzeler recommended a 180/70R-16 on the back and a 150/80HB-16 on the front. Now I know the old story about mixing radials with bias, but it was Metzelers recommendation. At the end before I traded it off I tried a Metzeler radial on the front and it cupped badly. My friend has a V2K, he went to bias on the front and he is getting great tire wear. I now run exactly what I was running on my Nomad, and this includes the 180 on the back and I am getting good tire life so far. Give it a try.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought the Metzlers for my bike also. I got the sizes recommended by Kawasaki for both. Wound up with two radials so we'll just have to see what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
second set of BattleAx's - same problem!

Hey all - just to let you know - took my V2K to local Kawie dealer - they said
the front was under inflated which caused the center cupping problem - put on a new BattleAx in front since the rear BattleAx still had some miles left on it. I've kept the new front tire religiously between 38 and 40 psi for 3,000 miles....it's starting to center cup again. And now the rear BattleAx is needing replaced after about 7k total. All the service manager at the dealer could say: 'what do you want, long wear or good grip?' I said, 'I want another 6 to 8k miles, with good grip'. What are these guys on the Bridgestone payroll? I'm done with Bridgestone.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Took my V2K on a trip this weekend and had to have a new rear tire put on. I did not even get 5,000 miles out of the new Metzler ME 880 I put on it. The whole center section was down to the cords. I ain't happy with it at all. I have been keeping a close eye on the air pressure and it was always on the money.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Took my V2K on a trip this weekend and had to have a new rear tire put on. I did not even get 5,000 miles out of the new Metzler ME 880 I put on it. The whole center section was down to the cords. I ain't happy with it at all. I have been keeping a close eye on the air pressure and it was always on the money.
Wow. I've got the ME880 on mine. I don't think it will last any longer than the bridgetone (7500), but I've got 5K on it now and it ain't that bad. Cords at 5K sucks.
I just got back from a 2300 mile trip in the mountains. Sky Line drive, Blue Ridge, etc.
The back doesn't look too good after that trip, but; I think another 2K will be about right. Sucks there isn't a mc tire that lasts on these things.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Fire Sale! 2fer the price of three. get 'em while their smokin'!

Wow. I've got the ME880 on mine. I don't think it will last any longer than the bridgetone (7500), but I've got 5K on it now and it ain't that bad. Cords at 5K sucks. I just got back from a 2300 mile trip in the mountains. Sky Line drive, Blue Ridge, etc.The back doesn't look too good after that trip, but; I think another 2K will be about right. Sucks there isn't a mc tire that lasts on these things.
I am finding that a two (rear) wheel solution is fitting for these BIG bikes. No, not a trike.. thats a different solution for a different problem. What am suggesting is two rear wheels/tires (ready to go) that you swap out for differing types of riding. Currently I am running the ME880 240 rear w/5k on it. It looks good and suspect it will go 12k+ as did the stock stone. But that is all twisty road work.. NO HIGHWAY running. For doing any long distance work, I suggest changing to a complete different rear wheel w/CAR tire. I have a michelin that I put 9k on last year and it looks brand new! If ever(but-I truck/trailer) ride long distance I will re-install the michy and save the metz for the twisties. thats my 2cen...tires. out, ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Ok, now just tell me how you go about getting a car tire mounted on a bike wheel. I asked two different tire shops this past weekend about buying a car tire and they wouldn't even sell it to me knowing that I was gonna mount it on a bike wheel.

What size car tire will fit on the rear wheel of the V2K? Which brand works best? Bike shop mount it for you or is this a DIY job?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Luke.. aaahhh, hhhaaa... I am yor father!

Ok, now just tell me how you go about getting a car tire mounted on a bike wheel. I asked two different tire shops this past weekend about buying a car tire and they wouldn't even sell it to me knowing that I was gonna mount it on a bike wheel. What size car tire will fit on the rear wheel of the V2K? Which brand works best? Bike shop mount it for you or is this a DIY job?
cp, lots of questions there. lots of answers all over this and other forums. topic is called going over to the "dark side". do your research. full of naysayers whom have never "tried" it. also many converts who would never consider going back. I do both. they work.
you can buy any car tire you want from any tire shop. they dont need to know what the you'r doing with it, wether you tell them or not. NOTB. tire shops cant mount it, they dont have right equip. bike shops wont mount it (wusses) liability.. they dont want their fingerprints on your death wish. I go to a shop with some cahonies (not italian pastry) Southern Metal Choppers do this all the time to chopjobs. They will take your money even if its a jap. $20, mounted n balance.
do your research. make your decision. ride your skoot. www.lifeisaroad.com is one place to look. there are tons other, google the darkside. out, ponch

1 - 20 of 27 Posts