Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m a new rider, usually wear a full face helmet but got a half helmet for around town close trips. I took her to work and got on the freeway any tips on breathing. I noticed it’s not fighting the wind as some say that bothered me but breathing. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
First...Congrats on getting out on the freeway...it takes a while for some to get the nerve up.

Nothing wrong with that.

It sounds like the inexperienced factor is at play here more than the surroundings. ( helmet, wind, etc.)

As you progress, your normal breathing will return.

It sounds like to me, that you're body is still reacting to a situation that it is still unfamiliar with resulting in the breathing problem.

Might consider taking a break from the freeway for a little bit.. Hit a few less traveled back roads at 55-60mph until your body and mind are a little more assimilated to your new experience.

In no time, you'll be out there as if its just another trip..Foggin' up the Great Outdoors.

Hope this helps, my friend. :good:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Unless you work on a construction site, a half helmet isn't going to do much. Stick to the full face helmet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Unless you work on a construction site, a half helmet isn't going to do much. Stick to the full face helmet.
Yup.

Statistics show you're at at least the same "risk per mile traveled" whether close to home or across the country. At least one reading of the statistics says you're at much higher risk close to home, though I've always been skeptical about that one -- it is based on the percentage of accidents that occur within x miles of home, and I've never been able to determine if that is normalized for the simple fact that on every ride we're within x miles of home, while we're less often x + n miles from home, and even less often x + 2n, etc. Still, there's absolutely nothing to suggest you are safer when close to home.

Especially given that you're a new rider, you might consider sticking with the full-face or, for convenience, a modular. Those half-helmets keep you legal, but as safety devices --- well, I don't even like going to the dentist, so I'm pretty sure maxillo-facial surgery would be unpleasant.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Or a full face that fits better. Full face is all I'll ever wear again. No problem breathing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
The thing about accidents happening closer to YOUR home, is that you are more familiar with the streets and intersections since you travel them a lot and as such will be less vigilant about looking for impending doom!
That is not determined by the data. (It may be true or not true, we do not know)
What is determined is that most rides for most riders start and/or end at their home (as opposed to Capetown or Berlin or the South Pole).
Therefore it stands that the accident data will have a statistically significant leaning toward home as the location of any accident.

The Onion did an article on a similar mathematical phenomenon.
https://local.theonion.com/18-year-old-miraculously-finds-soulmate-in-hometown-1819566332

Wear the best helmet you think your head is worth.
OR
be like this guy:

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Yep, full face helmet is all I'll wear.

A friend is permanently disabled because of a chin plant he did while wearing a 3/4 helmet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you don't have a windshield. I took mine off once and could not stand it. Some love riding without a windshield. To each their own.

Yeah no windshield on mine. Breathing with my full face is fine at higher speeds but with the half sucks lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah no windshield on mine. Breathing with my full face is fine at higher speeds but with the half sucks lol

In hot weather I'll wear a 3/4 as it is much more airy than a full face at 90 degrees F and above. I figure it's safer too, as riding with boiling brains, and sweat in my eyes, tends to create the sort of lapses you might need a helmet for in the first place. But, I always get one with a large visor. With the visor down it's just about the same feel as wearing a full face.

This stops things from getting in your eyes too, unless you're doing goggles on the half helmet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would guess that the reason most accidents occur near home is because 99% of the time, we're going to or coming from there. most of the trips we take are close to there, like the store, and other shops, and friends. it's a numbers game. i could be wrong, but that's my guess

·
Registered
521 Posts
You could ride with a large funnel in your mouth. Like a ram air system.... :)

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
You could ride with a large funnel in your mouth. Like a ram air system.... :)
Thank you @Zzman! Now I have this picture of a rider going down the road with a funnel sticking out of his mouth.:surprise:

Full Face Helmet for me!

When I was stationed in Hawaii (lets just say long ago and leave it there :serious:), I was required to take a MC safety course to ride on base. On the wall, at the front of the class, there was a Full Face helmet on a small shelf. The front of the helmet, forehead/chin, was ground down to paper thin. The instructors never mentioned it. It needed no explanation.

To each their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts