Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all out there in VN2K land and thank you in advance for any feedback. So here it is, I've been looking at the tightwad open element breather mods on the new, improved gadget site and was wondering if anyone with one of our machines had done this. Everything I've googled or searched on various forums hasn't given me any info for the vn2k, just Nomads, ect. Any input, such as possible need for fuel controller or other headache causing issues will be appreciated. Scoot it an 07 VN2K LT. Only mods to date have been Poncho's marbling mod, and double darkside. ThanKS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
The most common breather mod on the cheap is to remove the secondary butterflies to allow more air in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rod. I've loved the looks of the Spectre short cone breathers forever and fabbing a mounting plate wouldn't be any issue. I truthfully hadn't thought of the secondaries and will give them a look as well. Haven't had the chance to tell you but I like the look of your scooter here lately.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,912 Posts
The most common breather mod on the cheap is to remove the secondary butterflies to allow more air in.

Does the secondary butterflies really allow more air in..or does it stop the bike from choking itself...which would be almost the same thing %P

Anyways, if you haven't done the secondary butterflies, yea, go ahead and do those. It will allow a more constant airflow.

·
537 Posts
She has been a labor of love. I have been working on her off and on for over 5 years. Some mods I did just to see if I could ;-)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deleted the secondary butterflies last night, got a subtle whistle now when cracking it, almost like a turbo. That right? Anyway, also saw it's due a breather element so rather that pay stupid money for something that can't be washed I'm gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and either fab a new one using a short spectre, or e-bay it with a breather kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yea, 'bout to forget, too many hard licks to the head, but anybody here had any experience with the new Dobek EJK Gen 3 fuel controller? Had a gentleman on the vulcan riders facebook page strong recommend them.

·
537 Posts
Had an older TFI on the Nomad, liked that it was manually adjustable never had to worry about "loosing" a map.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at dobek's website the gen3 basically learns as it goes. your inputs into the system can literally be done on the fly (not that anybody would do such a thing).looks like something I'll have to keep in mind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used the Forcewinder intake kit, I believe its an Ebay one. but im using an actual K&N cone with the forcewinder rain sock. I love it. Easy to maintain and it looks fantastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I've been looking at Ryan, but with the pointy cone. Really didn't care for that so it's good to see if can run it until it's dirty and either put a [email protected] on it or a spectre. Love that paint job my friend.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,912 Posts
That's what I've been looking at Ryan, but with the pointy cone. Really didn't care for that so it's good to see if can run it until it's dirty and either put a [email protected] on it or a spectre. Love that paint job my friend.

Pointy cone like this? It's a Barons Tornado

·
Registered
128 Posts
I cant actually say that I notice any power gains. but that's because when I purchased my bike it wasn't running. I did a top end job to it and changed the Pistons, valves, HLAs, Exhaust and intake before ever even turning it over. Sorry. I can absolutely say that it has a TON of power tho lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I Just put the Dobeck EJK on and makes the ride smoother. You can tell that the engine was starving for fuel. Idle cruise is very smooth and pulls through most of RPM range.
I pulled secondary butterflies, and removed the SMOG or PAIR plumbing.
My resistor gets here today.
Pipes tomorrow.
"spike" air cleaner is on its way too.
Dobeck has a kit you can rent to check and dial in your programmer to get optimal results, like $20 per week....heck of a lot cheaper than a dyno.

good luck Copperhead232

1 - 16 of 16 Posts