Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my BRC class over the weekend. I hadn't ridden in years so I opted for the basic beginner class instead of the returning rider because I thought it was better to underestimate my skills than to overestimate. Between enrollment and actually taking the class I managed to put 4000 miles on my bike.
Most of the class was pretty remedial but I still managed to fill in some gaps in my knowledge that I probably wouldn't have figured out on my own.
I had a blast watching people who had never ridden get bit by the biking bug, aced the skills test, and I will be a better rider because of it.
I would strongly recommend formal training to ANYONE, regardless of their experience in the saddle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just completed my BRC class over the weekend. I hadn't ridden in years so I opted for the basic beginner class instead of the returning rider because I thought it was better to underestimate my skills than to overestimate. Between enrollment and actually taking the class I managed to put 4000 miles on my bike.
Most of the class was pretty remedial but I still managed to fill in some gaps in my knowledge that I probably wouldn't have figured out on my own.
I had a blast watching people who had never ridden get bit by the biking bug, aced the skills test, and I will be a better rider because of it.
I would strongly recommend formal training to ANYONE, regardless of their experience in the saddle.
That is one thing I was wondering about. I am planning on taking the BRC. I'm also a returning rider only having 4 years on a "beginner" bike (in quotes because it was nice an easy to ride below 6000 rpm, but the first time I took it past 6000, hang the heck on!) I looked on youtube and only see the first parts of the course. I initially thought it would be pretty weird to go to the course rolling up on my 744 lb. Vulcan Nomad after 10,000 miles to sit and walk a tiny little 250 around, play with and learn the friction zone, how to start and shift it, and putt around in 1st gear at idle, but others have told me there is a lot of other stuff that goes on.

I can't get into the course until September or October if I can at all. Use to be 2 courses and they booked as soon as booking opened up. Now there are 15 locations with multiple, 6-10 courses per location and you still can't get in. The only ones opened except for October I think are during the week. I'd like to get the Beginner out of the way this year so I can take the intermediate course next year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode 40 miles on my Vulcan and then spent the day on a Harley Davidson street 500. Another guy in the class pulled up on a custom low rider. Both of us got something out of the class.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts