Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how many folks like me are brand new riders, it took me 2 months to get into school, couldn't believe how many people have signed up for classes. Motorcycle dealers are jumping up and down 馃槅

Registered
2010 Vulcan 900 custom se
Just got my license 3 weeks ago. Took me 2 months wait for the class. Now been trying to ride every weekend I can

Registered
2010 Vulcan 900 custom se
Thank you, bought it 2 months ago. That was my motivation for passing and going through with the class

Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
The class is worth the wait. Not all classes are equal but the basic things you learn how to correctly handle a bike in low speed situations is priceless. Go in with an open mind and be a sponge ready to soak up the knowledge. After the class practice the techniques learned till they become second nature before you face the crazy cages on the road.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The class is worth the wait. Not all classes are equal but the basic things you learn how to correctly handle a bike in low speed situations is priceless. Go in with an open mind and be a sponge ready to soak up the knowledge. After the class practice the techniques learned till they become second nature before you face the crazy cages on the road.
Absolutely right I learned a lot for a beginner

Registered
Ok, I'm not a newbie, but I completely support the Motorcycle courses. My son got his license in 2018 and took the NYS Motorcycle Safety Course. I've been riding 38-39 years and he taught me a few things I didn't know (having never taken the course myself). More to the point, one week after passing the course, and with a total of maybe 12 hours riding time (his lifetime total), we road from Manchester NY, to Baltimore MD to visit his sister. That's 600 miles of mixed highway, country and city roads. 8 hours in and 8 hours back. He did a beautiful job with no serious issues. No way I could have taught him that well, that quickly. Stay Safe! Enjoy the Ride and welcome to the family!

Registered
After taking the class remember to practice. Riding isn't practice, find an empty lot and practice the skills that you have learned. I have ridden all my life and I still try to get in a few hours of low speed maneuvers every week. There's something really gratifying about pulling into a parking lot and doing a u turn into a parking spot and stopping right where you want to be without having to put a foot down or back up 鈽

Registered
2011 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 Abs
Last Saturday, I attended an advanced Motorcycle Riding course with the Los Angeles Police Department, half of the course is slow speed maneuvering, panic braking and collision avoidance. Motorcycle Police Officers practice slow speed maneuvering every morning before they go out to the streets on their bikes.

I'll second @MisterG comments above. Total control of a bike is slow speed maneuvering, not going 40 MPH. I'm still practicing slow speed (10 MPH ) maneuvering in empty parking lots, cones weave and U turns in an 18 ft radius, 18ft is all you have out on the street to make a u-turn if you need to.

You'll be surprised what slow speed maneuvering allows you to do. My 2011 Voyager is an 895 lbs bike and I'm able to make a u-turn in an 18 ft radius without putting my foot down. It is not the speed, it's the technique.

Reactions: Tourer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts