Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just traded my old 2010 VV with 62,000kms, for a brand new 2015. As much as I love the bike, it feels a little gutless compared to the old one. I've only put 250km on it so far, and taking it easy as the engine breaks in, but feels a little lacklustre. Will there be a noticeable improvement after its broken in? Anyone with similar experience?
Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
It will have more power after you put on some miles. Mine seemed to be stronger around 2000 miles. Send your ECU in to Ivan for a re-flash and you will see a BIG increase of power and many other benefits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD HOG. I'm gonna have to do some more reading on this ECU thing. I've seen it mentioned all over the Forum, along with Ivan's name. Not even sure where I'd start to look for the ECU lol.

Looking forward to more power, loving the bike otherwise!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks JD HOG. I'm gonna have to do some more reading on this ECU thing. I've seen it mentioned all over the Forum, along with Ivan's name. Not even sure where I'd start to look for the ECU lol.

Looking forward to more power, loving the bike otherwise!
It's under the seat next to the battery. View this video for more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFLgEyX0zE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWESOME! thanks so much! I've very intrigued!!! Does any of this mess with warranty issues? What was the turnaround time with Ivan's?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
AWESOME! thanks so much! I've very intrigued!!! Does any of this mess with warranty issues? What was the turnaround time with Ivan's?
Heard it does not affect warranty and turn around time is less than a week,I haven't had it done but everyone is raving

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm from California and my turnaround time was 5 days, three days going and 2 days coming back.

The warranty would only be an issue if the ECU caused a part to malfunction. My local dealership here in my town has no problem with the ECU re-flash. None of the Kawasaki dealerships have the way to determine if you have changed your ECU like Harley dealerships have.

If California ever goes to annual inspections for bikes I will purchase a new or used ECU to swap out for inspection. That is how happy I'm with my re-flash, I would never go back to stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again JD HOG. The more I ride the new bike, the more I think about getting it done. There is definitely some "flat spots" in the acceleration curve.Not too bad if I open it up and push a little harder, but if I give it smooth "normal" acceleration... It's like something is missing.

My bike is identical to yours. Was your experience similar?

Have you replaced pipes yet? Will you?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks again JD HOG. The more I ride the new bike, the more I think about getting it done. There is definitely some "flat spots" in the acceleration curve.Not too bad if I open it up and push a little harder, but if I give it smooth "normal" acceleration... It's like something is missing.

My bike is identical to yours. Was your experience similar?

Have you replaced pipes yet? Will you?
Yes, I noticed the same lackluster performance from mine.

I have not replaced pipes and will keep the bike stock as it runs great as is with the reflash done. I don't want to spend money changing pipes and intake mods because if California starts inspections I don't want to mess with changing the mods back to pass an inspection.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Yes, I noticed the same lackluster performance from mine.

I have not replaced pipes and will keep the bike stock as it runs great as is with the reflash done. I don't want to spend money changing pipes and intake mods because if California starts inspections I don't want to mess with changing the mods back to pass an inspection.
Went for a ride today and laughed out loud a couple times at what Ivan's flash has done to the power (stock pipes and air). It's HUGE. Go for it and you'll see how a 1700 was meant to run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So glad to hear how positive it is!! Makes me think actually that my old beast with 62000 kms might have had that done by a previous owner. It had quite a bit more power, with no more flat spot!! Yup, I'll do it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So glad to hear how positive it is!! Makes me think actually that my old beast with 62000 kms might have had that done by a previous owner. It had quite a bit more power, with no more flat spot!! Yup, I'll do it.
Probably not... Ivan only released his flash to market in late February this year... More likely it was simply loosened up nicely?

I was an early adopter, and would rate the re-flash as the best performance mod I've made to the bike. On your '15, the re-flash will let you do away with the O2 sensor entirely. That sensor is probably what's responsible for your flat spot, and it's so poorly thought out anyway that you won't miss it at all.

Just be aware that Ivan is closed until August 15. I guess he's taking a well-deserved summer break.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm glad the how to video I made has been able to help so many Vulcan owners out! but I can't say enough good things about Ivan's flash don't wait get it done as soon as you can you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am glad I read this post! I have a 2016 VV with only 250 miles on it. I hardly ever come out of 4th because it sounds like there is such a load on the engine. 55 mph at 2250 rpm....sputter, sputter sputter.....*S*

Does anyone have contact info for Ivan?

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts