Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me with connecting the tail or brake light wire to a trunk light? I would like to do it ideally without splicing the existing wire -- can it be done by tapping into the existing harness in some way? Or any other method that works?

I just installed a Bestem T-Box (hard trunk) and it has a LED light built into the lid. I am not sure if I want to connect the brake or tail light to the LEDs? Can I have both?

Also, I would like to have it with connected with some sort of quick-disconnect connector as the trunk is removable with a push of the button. How would I connect it and where would I shop for such a connector?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I ended up tapping bullet connectors into the rear harness. Ideally I'd like to get a 6" jumper to go between the stock connection and the wiring harness and tap into that. But if you just do as I did and tap bullet connectors into the harness you'll be able to unplug your adapter. Which I have a Hoppy run/break light adapter as the harness is 5 wire and my trailer is 4 wire. I don't know what you're going for on your trunk but Hoppy, sorry Hopkins probably makes an adapter for it.

Now, you COULD use Scotchtap connectors that you slip over the source wire, slide your wire in the second hole and then crimp a metal connector down and flip the plastic over and it's tapped. Aaaaannddd waiting to just bite you in the butt at sometime in the future. But if you look at a soldering iron as some type of torture instrument used on your date after the rooffies kick in, perhaps you should stick with the Scotchtaps. But after getting bitten myself, I just cut the wires, stripped them and soldered extra taps into it, then used waterproof heat shrink to seal it back up. That ain't going anywhere.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I added a LED taillight to my 2008 vulcan 900 and simply "pushed" new stripped wires into the back of the o.e. connector. The brakelight harness uplugs from the main harness. I've had no problems with anything working. It wont be quick disconnect.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigB,
Where is the brakelight harness you are talking about? Under the rear fender from the back of the tail light? That it won't be quick-disconnect I would not mind as I can always add a connector further along the wire -- I planned on having it under the luggage rack anyway.

MrClean,
I looked at the Hopkins connectors but could not find anything suitable. I was picturing something very simple: a 2-wire snap-on male/female couple of connectors... Do they (or anyone else) make them? I went to a few stores last night (HomeDepot, Walmart, NAPA Parts) but no luck.

Also, I was thinking about running a wire along the frame under the seat and tank to the big harness connector under the tank (behind the headlight) if there is a chance to find an accessible tail light wire -- maybe I can "push" it in there without splicing. But it would be probably much cleaner to solve it right under the rear fender somehow...

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
its under the tag light assembly. there are two connectors back there. use a test light or digital volt meter to determine which one is for the brakes. I wired a led tag light that is always on, and a red led light bar over my tag frame. I left the stock taillight in place.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh, you can use a flat four pole trailer connector (any parts store). You dont have to use all four connections. just make sure the connectors line up on the two plugs. They're cheap, under ten bucks).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts