Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are about ready to be replaced and I was wondering you guys' thoughts on the types, brands, and places to order them from.

So far I think I need semi-metallic/semi-sintered because I obviously don't track ride, but I do ride a lot on back highways and sometimes through rain. I try to avoid rain, but it's a part of living on Earth lol. Anyway, the brand I was looking at was EDC and the model is V-Pads. Do any of you guys have experience with them or good experiences with others?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
I prefer the OEM ones as they are easy on the rotors (spendy)
Changed both front and rear near the 35000 mile mark, still plenty of pad left.
Just my .02

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have had more of the mechanic guru's state the best on these vulcans is to stay with the OEM brakes. The other choice would be EBC brand. Very popular.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer the OEM ones as they are easy on the rotors (spendy)
Changed both front and rear near the 35000 mile mark, still plenty of pad left.
Just my .02
I wonder if the previous owner or myself are more aggressive on the brakes then - I'm only at 20k miles and they're at the squealer plate. I also called the Kawasaki store in town and they only carry OEM brakes and they said the same thing about them being better for the bike - my problem with that is they would try to sell me on their product because it would mean less business. They're also $62/pair vs EBC which was like $40/pair. I know going with the original compound type is better for the rotors (unless I changed the rotors out) but idk if I should go ahead and buy those or a different aftermarket. Do you guys know which compound type the OEM pads are?

Edit: I meant EBC not EDC lol, I'm an idiot

·
Registered
521 Posts
Do they make ceramic pads? They are usually quieter, make less dust and easier on the rotors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I saw some on one of the websites, but I thought ceramic pads were harder on the rotors? And idk anything about glazing with them, do you know?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think I saw some on one of the websites, but I thought ceramic pads were harder on the rotors? And idk anything about glazing with them, do you know?

Do not go with ceramic pads. They can "FADE" when you need them the most. EBC is a good choice. I have EBC on my rear. It does a good job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough lol, I never knew that about ceramic pads - which EBC type do you use?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just bought some pads at my local dealer, what they automatically sold me were EBC pads without asking for anything special.
I'm willing to try them, give me indication if I want to install them on my V-Rod.
Made the mistake a few years back of going to Lyndall's on the V-Rod based on forum recommendations on that forum. Within 200 miles brake use bike would jump up and down violently. Went back to stock pads and sanded the rotors with a DA. Managed to make the behavior tolerable till I could also replace the rotors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts