Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
riding around town with the wife sunday i picked up a noise that she accurately described as "a baby bird trying to get out of my right bag" just basicly a loud intermittent chirping-got the chance to check it over tonight and took off the rear caliper to find the pads pitted and rust in the grooves - bike only has 3000 miles on it -garage kept -never been near coast-is this a common problen for these pads and should i start looking for non metallic pads to replace the stock ones with ? cleaned off the pads and took it for a short ride around and no noise so far-- might have fixed it for now

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
riding around town with the wife sunday i picked up a noise that she accurately described as "a baby bird trying to get out of my right bag" just basicly a loud intermittent chirping-got the chance to check it over tonight and took off the rear caliper to find the pads pitted and rust in the grooves - bike only has 3000 miles on it -garage kept -never been near coast-is this a common problen for these pads and should i start looking for non metallic pads to replace the stock ones with ? cleaned off the pads and took it for a short ride around and no noise so far-- might have fixed it for now
bh, I'm sittin on 24k with stock pads. the rear looks like it could use a new set soon.. I probably will do all three sets around 30k. you probably just picked up something, cleaning the pads fixed it. What grooves are you getting rust in? my discs are smooth and shiney, no grooves here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ponch-the grooves i'm referring to are the ones cut across the pads-they would run vertical when installed -think they are to keep the pads cooler or something like that-guess i just need to keep a watch on them -cant think of any kind of contaminants that might of got on em -i dont even use the detergent to recommended strength when i wash it

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wear bars? a priest, a rabbi and a muhla walk into a bar...

ponch-the grooves i'm referring to are the ones cut across the pads-they would run vertical when installed -think they are to keep the pads cooler or something like that-guess i just need to keep a watch on them -cant think of any kind of contaminants that might of got on em -i dont even use the detergent to recommended strength when i wash it
b.hobits, them reliefs in the pad are wear bar indicators. when you can't see them anymore then its time to change em out. Some pads have a metal tab that reaches down to this point. When the pad wears down to the metal tab it screaches telling you to get off your cheap lazy butt and change me!:eek: how's that for features? out, ponch

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only a short fix!!

well its back- didnt stay away as long as i would have expected- will kaw do anything about sqeaking brake pads under warranty or is this my problem now?i know there should be some play in the rear caliper but it seems like i've got a little more than i should have -also every now and then i hear this clunk when i hit the rear brakes -think it is the bracket the caliper mounts to moving back n forth -is this normal? help!! i'm planning a long trip this weekend and need to get this resolved --dont want to have to drop it off at the stealership for a week just to have them tell me they cant hear anything -would rather fix it myself -any suggestions?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
-also every now and then i hear this clunk when i hit the rear brakes -think it is the bracket the caliper mounts to moving back n forth -is this normal? help!! -would rather fix it myself -any suggestions?
bh, unless the motor blows up, there is no need to take it to any dealer. then again, I wouldn't trust them with a motor either. so there. no dealer. as for the brakes klunking. yep, the caliper is loose where it fits the frame. it will klunk when you hit the rear brake and it reseats itself. heres the/a fix;
(1) tighten your axle bolt/nut.
(2) use an zip wire tie around caliper mount and swingarm leg to keep the caliper bracket from drifting backwards (1/16th) off its keeper.
(3) ride bike.
(4) enjoy ride.

clean the pads (again) make sure there isn't anything foreign imbedded in/on the pads. high pitched squeal is a metal to metal noise. remove anything that might be the source. out, ponch

·
Registered
148 Posts
V2K Repair

I also live in SC Lake Wylie, your problem is caused by high humidity those who live on the west coast do not have this problem.
If you live within your acceptable traveling distance I will fix it for you.
Meanwhile touque your rear axle nut to 80 Ft lb's be sure the axle is adjusted equally.... 34mm @ adjusters with stock front and rear pulleys
Bare

1 - 7 of 7 Posts