Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gear heads, I need some motorcycle advice for my '14 Nomad 1700 ABS. I had the rear brakes start making some noise, so I figured it was simply wear related (23K on bike). I changed the pads front and rear, cleaned and greased everything accordingly and now with the added thickness the front is dragging as well.(not at first, but after I've used the brakes a couple of times) Both calipers pushed back easily, without binding or much resistance. I am going to do a fluid flush and bleed and make sure the return port is clear (it's probably time?). I'll also be upgrading to better pads. In the event this doesn't work and if the pads continue to drag, where can the static pressure be coming from? With the ABS if it sees pressure either front or back, it applies to the other. After it sits and until I start using the brakes, there is no noise. So it's pulling back from the rotors, just too slowly it appears. The wheel bearings are new, I had them changed earlier to All Balls, for basic maintenance. So, where do I go once I've done all that, if the pads are still dragging? I have worked on cars forever, but not motorcycles and never on one with ABS. Many of you on here are far more adept and able, I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I would wait a short while until the new pads get burnished in. It might possibly solve the problem.

Dis you lube the guide pins well?
I lubed the pins, rode it to break it in and it still makes noise. It's seems to be louder as time goes on. I pulled everything back out and inspected, I even re-lubed the pins. I used brake specific lube. I'm going to do the flush, even if for only the purpose of elimination. I'm considering it could also be the aftermarket pads? The dealers didn't have any in stock and the ones online, were off brand. There are post about issues with fitment and dragging on the pins on some of the off brand pads. I don't know if that is the problem? A buddy suggested Galfer pads, I might go with them after the flush. He's a bike nut and does all of his own work. He's also raced bikes, so I trust his opinions. He's just too busy right now for me to take the bike to him! Can't wait, I want to ride! Thanks for the input!

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
From your description, it doesn't appear that you have stuck pistons in the calipers. Is the noise continuous or is it cyclic, happening with every revolution of the tire? If it is cyclic, have you checked the runout on the rotors or the rim? If new fluid and cleaning the port doesn't help, you may want to check those runouts.

Reactions: Sixth Gear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered about the rotors, but the front was fine until I changed to pads. If I don't get on the brakes, after first starting up and riding from a stand still, there is no noise. It starts once I have used the brakes. It happens more at slower speeds and is louder then also. The bike rolls fine. I've gotten it up to highway speed and pulled in the clutch and just allowed it to roll. It doesn't scrub off speed, rolls well actually. I am going to do the fluid flush and upgrade to better pads. Even though I've greased everything properly, I'll do that again. As I wrote, since it clears up after sitting, I believe it's just pulling away from the rotors too slowly. I have spun the from wheel while I've had it up on a jack and there doesn't seem to be much resistance, until I've applied the brakes. Maybe, rotors will be next? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try this. Remove caliper from the rotor. Place something thin between the pads (I use a puddy knife) squeeze the brake handle till the pads squeeze the puddy knife. Wash the pucks with brake cleaner until the dirt stops coming out. Use the puddy knife to start the pucks going back in enough to get the pads back on the rotor. Reinstall the caliper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the front and rear brake pads have a different thickness. the front go on in a left and right configuration, sort of a mirror image. You might have reversed the front, but I don't think the back matters. Note the front are 4mm thick pads and the rear are 7mm thick. Since you bought after market pads i thought I shoul (y) d mention this!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Actually it's the rear pads that go left or right. The front pads are identical, doesn't matter witch side they go in. I had a stuck piston on my left front caliper. I overhauled both front calipers and installed new pads on both. Also replaced the rear pads and flushed the fluid front and rear and clutch. Mine is a '13 VV, but I suspect they are the same. Might be wrong though..... As I thought. Just looked them up. They are the same as the Nomad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually it's the rear pads that go left or right. The front pads are identical, doesn't matter witch side they go in. I had a stuck piston on my left front caliper. I overhauled both front calipers and installed new pads on both. Also replaced the rear pads and flushed the fluid front and rear and clutch. Mine is a '13 VV, but I suspect they are the same. Might be wrong though..... As I thought. Just looked them up. They are the same as the Nomad.
You are exactly correct, my bad!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try this. Remove caliper from the rotor. Place something thin between the pads (I use a puddy knife) squeeze the brake handle till the pads squeeze the puddy knife. Wash the pucks with brake cleaner until the dirt stops coming out. Use the puddy knife to start the pucks going back in enough to get the pads back on the rotor. Reinstall the caliper.
Actually, I did almost exactly that when I installed them. Then I put the brake grease on the pins and back of pads. I'm going to have to do it again when I upgrade the pads, I'm sure the new pads have build up. So, I'll clean that out and try again with the better pads. As I wrote, my buddy lies the Galfer pads, so until Kawasaki gets my pads back in stock, I'll try those. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the opiste proplem my front brakes rattle ive changed pades repeatedly factory and aftermarket new spring clips.everyone says its normal. Brakes are all good but just anoying good luck.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have the opiste proplem my front brakes rattle ive changed pades repeatedly factory and aftermarket new spring clips.everyone says its normal. Brakes are all good but just anoying good luck.
Brake grease will stop the rattle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts