Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced brake noise? I regularly am hearing it from the front with out the brake applied. It is most apparent after I have used the brakes. It seems that there might be a part that is dragging or not retracting. I have yet to contact the dealer to see if they will cover such an issue. I am tempted to just remove the caliper and clean and lube the slide pins

·
Registered
295 Posts
Has anyone experienced brake noise? I regularly am hearing it from the front with out the brake applied. It is most apparent after I have used the brakes. It seems that there might be a part that is dragging or not retracting. I have yet to contact the dealer to see if they will cover such an issue. I am tempted to just remove the caliper and clean and lube the slide pins
You hear it when your rolling along or when you move it without the engine running?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You hear it when your rolling along or when you move it without the engine running?
I hear it when I am rolling along especially after having applied the brakes. Once I hit the kill switch to hear it better and the noise dramatically reduces as the front brake is applied.

As far as taking it apart I am sure it is very easy. There are far more complicated setups on cars.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No I hear it on mine too and have for months ... I also heard it on my last Suzuki. Don't think it is anything to worry about. I've pretty well tuned it out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it is anything to worry about with 2500 miles on it but if I can fix a sticking slide pin now it might prolong brake pad life in the future.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't blame you, I'd take a look at it, too. Might be nothing but it doesn't hurt to check it out.
It's more an irritant than anything I am sure. Part of the reason I have not called the dealer is because I don't want to seem whiny. However they are a Harley dealer too, LOL, I bet they have their whiners.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My custom does the same thing after the front brakes are applied a couple of times. I believe that it might be from the rotor expanding from the heat after the brakes are applied, thus dragging on the brake pad a little until it cools down. I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My front brake would squeel a bit sometimes when I would come to a stop unless I was really light on it which actually helped me to balence the use of the front and rear brakes. It stopped about the time I got about 2000 miles on it. It may happen now, but very, vert rarely (usually when I think everyone and his brother is looking at me and can hear it and are wondering what's wrong with that....). When I did the 600 mile service, they told me they cleaned off the rotor, but it came back fairly quickly and like I said decreased over time. I'm keeping a close eye on the rotor and pads for unusual wear.

When my old mountain bike rims would start squeeling, I'd clean them with soap and a Scotch-bite pad. That may work on the rotor if it doesn't stop.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My front brake would squeal a bit sometimes when I would come to a stop unless I was really light on it which actually helped me to balance the use of the front and rear brakes. It stopped about the time I got about 2000 miles on it. It may happen now, but very, very rarely (usually when I think everyone and his brother is looking at me and can hear it and are wondering what's wrong with that....). When I did the 600 mile service, they told me they cleaned off the rotor, but it came back fairly quickly and like I said decreased over time. I'm keeping a close eye on the rotor and pads for unusual wear.

When my old mountain bike rims would start squealing, I'd clean them with soap and a Scotch-bite pad. That may work on the rotor if it doesn't stop.
This doesn't make the noise when the brakes are applied but rather after they have been applied.

f4kev If it were the case of the rotor expanding from the heat the noise would eventually go away as the brake system cooled. also even though the front does twice the braking as the rear one might think the rear would do this too but in my case it does not. I am sure that there is a pad dragging. Also, it makes the noise after my 1st stop when I leave the driveway which is 100 yards. I don't get the brakes hot in that small of space.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Something you could try is to check the gaps between the pads and rotor with feeler gauges before and after applying the brakes to see if the clearance is different.

·
Registered
203 Posts
mine does the same thing. the service guy here checked it over well and said everything is fine, he did tall me that it was normal to head some slight brushing at times.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Normal brake dust build up will cause some noises from time to time:

(Put on your medical / surgical gloves---brake dust is nasty)

1. remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper
2. you will have to "pull / tilt / twist" the caliper towards you a little to get it off the rotor
3. remove pins, pads, and spray it out with a brake cleaner(watch the finish---use a drip pan to catch the crud)
4. it will air dry quickly--lube the pins reinstall (tilt the caliper to you again to get it back on the rotor)

sometimes youy may just use a garden hose to wash out the dust---preferably when the rotor is not hot

other times the brakes just seem to "drag" a little due to caliper design

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me restate some things here.

The noise does not happen when I apply the brakes but after I apply them.

I am sure there is a pad dragging for one reason or another maybe the caliper slide pins need lube.

I only posted this to see if other were having a similar issue.

When I get the chance I will pull the caliper and inspect the brakes to determine cause of the noise and repost my findings.

Thank you for the explicate detailed directions in how to R and R and caliper including the precaution with Brake Clean.

For what it is worth I am a seasoned Auto Tech of 23 years holding 9 ASE automotive certifications including ASE Master Tech status. I do NOT know it all by any means but I thought I would toss this into the mix to let anyone thing I maybe a novice at best that I am far from it.

Heck I wish I had the cash I have invested in tools and tool box, I would have a fleet of VN's. My darn tool box 9 years ago cost more (empty) than my LT!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, thank you everyone who has been responding

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool, yea, I too have bought, lost, and or had stolen, enough tools to buy another bike.

My Tool Box:

Empty it weighs 1500 pounds, will all tools well over a ton. The long drawer in the bottom box will safely support 400 pounds.

Investment: To replace that tool box today with out it being a Limited Edition 35th Anniversary Mustang Set would cost $13,000 To replace the box and all the tools in it better stroke a check for $70k

Yes, I could easily have a corral of Kawi's

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
203 Posts
hahaha Nice took box! :)

and I actually understood what ya were discribing cause I had mark the tech at the dealer test ride mine for that slight brushing sound... and he said it is not unusual. and since I have 21000 miles on my brakes and still have plenty of pad left he must be right. I did get the occasional chatter when applying them but have not had that since it hit about 10000.

just FYI! hahaha scary that the blond understood ya isnt it? hahaha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts