Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed when I pull the brake (hand or foot) the brake light isn't lighting up. Dumb quesiton but how do I change it? I removed the one screw on the outside of the rear light assembly but the plastic cover wouldn't come off - I didn't want to break anything..

This is a stock 2006 VN 900Classic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You have to wiggle it and apply some pressure to get it to come loose from the rubber gasket......bottom first. A tiny bit of silicone spray on the gasket will make it easier to get out the next time. ONLY silicone, not any other kind of lube.
Thanks. That worked. I thought there was a second light for the brake, but there is only one bulb in there, and it is working. When I pull the brake lever or step on the brake pedal I get no brake light - I'm assuming it should glow brighter? I tested it with the engine running, in gear just to be sure. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is a dual element bulb and the brake element usually burns out first. 1157 I believe. I replaced mine with a LED long because my red bulbs (clearlens) kept bleaching out to white and it wouldn't pass inspection that way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a dual element bulb and the brake element usually burns out first. 1157 I believe. I replaced mine with a LED long because my red bulbs (clearlens) kept bleaching out to white and it wouldn't pass inspection that way.

Thanks...I'll replace the bulb tomorrow. Not many riding days left and tomorrow's supposed to be sunny and 15C...then a week of cold and rain...hopefully I won't run into issues and can enjoy a day of riding..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Tex,

What LED do you have in there? I'd like to replace my bulb with an LED, just can't seem to find a bright enough one!

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hey Tex,

What LED do you have in there? I'd like to replace my bulb with an LED, just can't seem to find a bright enough one!

Doc
None are bright enough. Use an incandescent bulb: 1157.
Some LEDs appear bright enough when viewed from straight behind, but none really work with the reflector and really disburse the light well enough. That trucker that's sitting several feet above your brake light may never see an LED brake light come on!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Tex,

Doc
I have an LED bulb called the Super-Bright JamStrait LED bulb. It is an all RED LED built to fit into the taillight housing. I have a clear lens housing and you can see the thing just fine day or night. My traditional 1157 bulbs would bleach out with the clear lens kit on my bike and that is not possible with this LED bulb. I would like to add an LED license plate to tie into the brake light soon too as I believe you can't have enough light at the rear but this bulb is better than a stock 1157. I'd love to get some of those bright red bullet lights I see on some bikes to add to the rear too. There an LED bulb that has a flashing system built in when you stop that I may try eventually but it is not as bright as this particular LED system.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not an LED but well worth considering, I think. Recommended to me by a long time rider who I respect a lot......and I found it to be very good.

trailBLAZER by Kisan Electronics. It's a halogen bulb with the electronics built into the socket to make the brake light flash. Similar to add-on modules that modulate the brake light but MUCH easier and brighter too (tail light and brake).

Kind of pricey but no more so than getting a module to do the brade light flashing.......and you can easily take it with you to a new bike. :)
Trailblazer is a good system too....anything that get's their attention when your braking is always a good thing!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it's an 1157...I looked at it and neither elemenent appeared burned out, but i replaced it anyway..the new light works just as good, but still no brake function. Darnit! Could the brake light be on its own fuse?

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah it's an 1157...I looked at it and neither elemenent appeared burned out, but i replaced it anyway..the new light works just as good, but still no brake function. Darnit! Could the brake light be on its own fuse?
As I understand it, the front and back brakes are essentially seperate systems so that if one of them fails the other should not. Under the tank there is a plug for the front brake that runs to the main harness. I have never traced the foot brake. My front brake stopped lighting up a few months ago, I traced that wire and it had just worked loose over time. After that it all worked great. Maybe someone with more knowledge will know what circuit to trace.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I understand it, the front and back brakes are essentially seperate systems so that if one of them fails the other should not. Under the tank there is a plug for the front brake that runs to the main harness. I have never traced the foot brake. My front brake stopped lighting up a few months ago, I traced that wire and it had just worked loose over time. After that it all worked great. Maybe someone with more knowledge will know what circuit to trace.
Yeah I think I'm going to have to trace the wire. Did you have to remove the tank? I just had a quick look and dont' see the 'connection' point. Also if someone could help with which wire to trace..there are two that come off the right grip, the clutch cable and brake - which is the top / bottom one? Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I think I'm going to have to trace the wire. Did you have to remove the tank? I just had a quick look and dont' see the 'connection' point. Also if someone could help with which wire to trace..there are two that come off the right grip, the clutch cable and brake - which is the top / bottom one? Thanks!
Yeah I removed the tank and ran to the main harness. Under the tank is a series of connections to the main harness and sometimes it can wiggle loose. The wire to trace is the bottom wire. The problem is that if your brakes are lighting up with either the front or foot brake, it is unlikely that this is going to be your problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I removed the tank and ran to the main harness. Under the tank is a series of connections to the main harness and sometimes it can wiggle loose. The wire to trace is the bottom wire. The problem is that if your brakes are lighting up with either the front or foot brake, it is unlikely that this is going to be your problem.
I just want to rule this out...how do you remove the instrument cluster? I removed the one allen bolt but it doesn't come off...the tank will only lift up a bit with the instrument cluster in the way..

·
Registered
201 Posts
The instrument cluster is held in place by rubber grommets. Just wiggle it back and forth and it should pop free. The chrome cover has two holding it in place as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The instrument cluster is held in place by rubber grommets. Just wiggle it back and forth and it should pop free. The chrome cover has two holding it in place as well.
that worked thanks..but the tank still doesn't lift enough..i thought it would like it did on my old bike. I guess i have to remove it. decided to quit for the night before I damage something. I also had another thought, what if the brake light is stuck in the 'on' position, that's why both levers appear to do nothing...not sure how to tell, in the garage i just see a bright red light (or white light without the cover)...can't tell if both filiments are on without burnng my eyes out :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also notice, if I press the rear brake lever, nothing happens, but when I release it, there is a very slight flicker in the brake light...not sure if that will help with the thought process - any help would be awesome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts