Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to hook up an extra brake light to my 2011 Nomad 1700. According to the manual you have to remove the rear fender in order to work on the brake light wires underneath. Is there any way I can hook this up to one of the wires under the seat? If I can, which one is for the brake light. The one I bought has 3 wires, one for ground, one for running light and one for the brake light. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
You should be able to access the wires under the seat before they are routed under the fender, but I don't know which wires it would be on a Nomad. They may not be the same as the Voyager. I guess it depends on where you mount it whether or not to tie in under the fender or under the seat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, can't be certain as I cannot find a manual for the 1700 nomad but I have checked various other manuals for 1700 voyager, 1600 nomad etc. and wire colours should be blue for brake light, red for tail/rear running light and black/yellow for earth(ground). You should have a plug under the seat where the rear fender harness joins the main harness, this would be the easiest place to connect your extra lamp.

Hope this helps.

Radar

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi again, just looked again and found a manual for the correct bike. The colours are as previous post and I have attached a picture showing the plug (item14).

Hope this helps.

Radar

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2015 Voyager and I was able to lift the bike and with the rear wheel off the ground I was able to work between the tire and fender to remove the rear tail light.
Depending on where you wanted to mount an auxiliary brake light, the tail and brake light wiring is also present at the rear, inside the top case. That's where I wired in the Kriss unit to flash the brake lights in the top case.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When hooking up my aux brake lights I was able to access the wiring under the seat. To keep a clean installation without tapping into existing wiring (I don't like to compromise the insulation), I removed the brake light pin from the connector, carefully opened the "pins" holding the wire in place, ran the aux wiring through the weather seal and clamped it together with the oem wire. Reinserted the pin and done. Easier than it sounds. If interested and you need pics or more info, let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts