Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, an ambulance was in front of me and when they hit the brakes, the brake lights would flash really fast for about 2 seconds before staying steady on. I seen a few motorbikes do this too, but they were the same brand, so initially I just assumed it was that company did it.

I see online you can buy many different brake light modulators that does this. They look to be an easy install, some even have wire harness so no cutting needed.

Has anyone used these before, or are planning to install on your Vulcan S? If so, what one are you getting?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a very good idea. Saw one the other day and it was very visible in traffic. Looked into getting one but the dealer said they could not install the taillight flasher because the tail light is a sealed unit. Let us know if you learn something different.

Separately, recently installed a headlight modulator and what a difference it makes. Have noticed a dramatic reduction in the number of cars crossing my right of way. Anything you can do to be more visible is a good thing.

Ride safe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently replaced OEM brake light bulb with LED bulb with build in flasher. When you press brakes it flashes 3 times and then goes solid. No wire slicing requires. It's very bright. I'm pretty happy with it. Best $20 mod I ever made.
Here is the link.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ion-1-high-power-led-bay15d-retrofit-car/923/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
So this sounds like the same thing. Hit the brakes, brake light blinks 3 times then steady on? Seems even easier than the modulators, as it fits where the bulb goes. No need to cut any wires.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So this sounds like the same thing. Hit the brakes, brake light blinks 3 times then steady on? Seems even easier than the modulators, as it fits where the bulb goes. No need to cut any wires.
I have this same bulb
Yes, Flashes 3 times then stays on
no wires to cut or anything, its a direct replacement for the stock bulb.

I actually bought a modulator but before I got around to installing it I found this nifty bulb, decided I would rather not cut my wires

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently replaced OEM brake light bulb with LED bulb with build in flasher. When you press brakes it flashes 3 times and then goes solid. No wire slicing requires. It's very bright. I'm pretty happy with it. Best $20 mod I ever made.
Here is the link.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ion-1-high-power-led-bay15d-retrofit-car/923/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Is this the exact bulb that would fit the Vulcan S 650? (Vehicle selection allows for cars only) And anyone know how to access the tail light bulb without taking apart the entire rear fender?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I investigated this a few months ago when I got the bike. As someone else said, the tail light on the Vulcan S is a sealed unit. It does not come apart to get at the bulb.

There are units available that you can splice into the wiring. I acquired one, then discovered that they were failing within 3 years resulting in NO brake light.

I did not install it thinking it was better for me to flash the light manually if I could, than have no brake light at all, and no indication that it has failed...

·
Registered
180 Posts
So does this mean that if the brake light fails that there is no bulb to replace just the whole unit? Doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have not looked but no one is making a tail light you van not open to replace a bulb. I will check today for sure. Also a poster said he has done it so how can that be if it is a sealed unit?

Something is not right here.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you guys talking about changing the bulb on a Vulcan S? From what I have read the tail/brake light is a sealed unit.
come on guys and girls! do you really think that Kawasaki would make a brakelight unit which can not be openend?
somebody here says he thinks it's a sealed unit, and after that others qoute this guy telling everybody it's a sealed unit :serious: :grin2:

when you look at the parts diagram, you can see that the unit can be detached rather easily and that gives you the opportunity to switch te bulb.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had looked at the diagrams and was able to find part numbers for the headlight and turn signal bulbs but on the diagram for the tail/brake light, there is no listing for a bulb, just for the LED unit/housing. This led me to believe that it was, in fact, a sealed unit, as others had posted.

You are saying that it is possible to open the housing (p/n 23025) and replace the bulb?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stripped mine down to the tail light. It appeared to be glued together. There are no screws. I pried gently between the front and back. No movement. I asked parts man at the dealer... He said it was a sealed unit. The parts diagram does not appear to show a bulb...

Others collaborate my suspicions.

I'm convinced, but am happy to be proved wrong!!!

There are wire-in units available. If I hear of one that will fail safe I will investigate further...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The thread started about brake light modulators. Then some people suggested using an LED bulb that has the same flasher capability of the modulators, without the need to cut any wires.

However, there are doubts if the tail light (which is already an LED in this case), can easily be changed on this bike.

Based on the wiring diagram, the existing LED is not mentioned. It appears to be one sealed unit, so swapping the existing LED to the flashing LED doesn't seem easily done.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think anyone is missing that fact. At least in my case, it was one of the first things I checked. The hope was that the LEDs in the tail light were in arranged in bulb form so that we could replace it with something like the LED bulb that is linked in a previous post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
16-58 in the Manual clearly shows bulb replacement.

From what I see it is not a bulb like a regular brake bulb. It is rectangular shaped from the looks in the manual.

It would be crazy to have to replace the whole light as some suggest. It is a LED bulb and probably will never wear out.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts