Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front brake fluid indicator is getting a little low and the brake pads seem to be fine. Can I add fluid? I was advised not to but to bleed the system and replace all the fluid in it?

thank you

·
Registered
507 Posts
First -- and important --- step is to figure out where that brake fluid went. Do a thorough inspection for fluid leaks. Second, how old is the fluid in there? Kawasaki says it should be changed every two years.

If all that's handled, it's fine to top it up. DOT 4, heavy duty brake fluid.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Yea, It's a closed system so it had to go somewhere. When I got my bike the fluid was pretty dark but full. I bled them out with fresh. Yes, DOT 4

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As mentioned in trainermb's post the brake fluid should be changed each two years - as specified in the Owner's Manual. With that, unless there is a leak or the owner uses their brakes extremely hard, there should be no perceptible change in the brake fluid levels in the reservoirs between fluid changes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
As the pads wear down, the pistons have to extend further and further for the pads to make contact with the rotor. As the pistons extend, it can make it appear that the fluid level is dropping. That could be what's going on, especially if your bike is 5 years old and still has the original pads.

I replaced brake pads on my Yamaha last weekend and they were toast. Since I had not too long ago flushed the brake fluid, the system was full and there was no way the new pads would fit. I had to open the bleed valve and force out a bunch of fluid so the pistons would go back in and make room. Enough came out that I could see where, if I started with the new pads and full fluid then just let it go until the pads were at their current thickness, my fluid level would certainly seem low. EDIT: In the case I just described, the fluid level actually would be lower, not due to a leak or having less fluid, but due to having to fill more volume in the system with the same amount of fluid.

(I finished the pad replacement by completely flushing the brake fluid then bedding in the new pads. So far so good.)

·
Registered
308 Posts
you may add some fluid of course.

but while you're working on the bike, open the bleed valve and check the quality of the fluid coming out. if you see dirt or air act accordingly...

in theory the fluid should be replaced every 2 years because it absorbs moisture. this moisture boils at a lower temp than the brake fluid and in the process it can create air in the system. that may lead to the brakes not functioning properly in an emergency braking situation.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just note that if you're going to open the bleed valve, make sure there's pressure on the brake control for that valve, and that you close it before you release that pressure. Otherwise you risk sucking air into the system if there's no positive pressure.

Brake fluid is super cheap and it's an easy process to change it. When in doubt, just replace it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
next question one of the screws holding the front brake cylinder cover on is very tight is there any way to loosen it up? I don't want to put soo much force on the screw head that I damage it

·
Registered
308 Posts
next question one of the screws holding the front brake cylinder cover on is very tight is there any way to loosen it up? I don't want to put soo much force on the screw head that I damage it
use a little lubricant and some tapping -with the screw driver and a light hammer...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you using a set of Japanese screwdrivers? There is a difference and you risk buggering up the screw using an American screwdriver.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the info I just ordered a set of Japanese screw drivers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts