Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 06 900 classic with about 25k on odometer. I put out new shinko 777’s on front and back since my dunlops were worn and making my bike shake on on every turn, the bike wasn’t bouncing the way it is now. The mechanic said he balanced the tires and they’re all set. After about 60 miles on the new tires they still make my bike bouncy as hell. The bike isn’t shaking at all now feels great when turning and I am able to take my hands off the bars at any speed, but when going straight the front end seems to be bouncing up and down. Has anyone experienced this issue or any knowledge about it? I have been planning on replacing the stem bearings, or at least re-greasing them also changing the fork fluid while it’s apart. Personally I don’t think that is the issue though since it felt less bouncy with bald tires. I think maybe the front tire is the issue. Psi is 40 both tires, any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

· Registered
353 Posts
Hello, I have an 06 900 classic with about 25k on odometer. I put out new shinko 777’s on front and back since my dunlops were worn and making my bike shake on on every turn, the bike wasn’t bouncing the way it is now. The mechanic said he balanced the tires and they’re all set. After about 60 miles on the new tires they still make my bike bouncy as hell. The bike isn’t shaking at all now feels great when turning and I am able to take my hands off the bars at any speed, but when going straight the front end seems to be bouncing up and down. Has anyone experienced this issue or any knowledge about it? I have been planning on replacing the stem bearings, or at least re-greasing them also changing the fork fluid while it’s apart. Personally I don’t think that is the issue though since it felt less bouncy with bald tires. I think maybe the front tire is the issue. Psi is 40 both tires, any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you
40 psi is way too much for the rear tire. drop it down 8-10 lbs.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I lowered my tire pressure to 29f and 32r with the no difference in my bouncing symptoms. Could it be an out of round tire? I’ve heard many mixed reviews on these Stinko tires. maybe I’ll bring them back to the guy who balanced it and see what he thinks.

· Registered
2007 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
14 Posts
I had a bounce on my bike last year between 30-50 mph. After 2 months of trouble shooting, I found a flat spot on the front tire. Changed it to another new one and smooth as butter. Crazy.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Your symptoms sound like a tire that's not round you most likely have a bubble or a flat spot.
Easy way to check if you can get front tire off the ground is spin it and look at it on a level plain to see if it humps up or drops down when looking at it from the front,
Since it was not present with your old tire and its well known how hard dunlops are i would not think its related to your stem or your forks, It might not hurt to have them checked but i dont think the problem is there.
Front wheel bearings could also be the issue same thing spin the tire while its off the ground you will feel/hear/see it.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you I will get the bike up and check some things out and let you know how it goes, also if my tire is the culprit I will have to contact champmoto to see if they will send me a replacement tire. If not I’m back to square one

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Take it one step at a time and you will get it sorted out the key is to not shotgun parts at the problem trying to fix it.
Take the time to locate the problem then fix it with the right part.
Shinko tires used to be very bad but their quality has come WAY up and they are now one of the preferred brands.
That doesn't mean that you didn't get a new old stock tire that's why they were asking for the dot information to see if the tire is very old even though its new.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I was able to check out the bike today the dot numbers for the front are 3121 rear was 5021 so they’re pretty new. The front tire does have the slightest bubble in one spot. The rear looks fine, however the belt was super tight so I adjusted that to spec and we’ll see how it goes. Should I return the tire? Or just deal with it until I need new ones? This is my first bike and I am new to riding. Thanks for being patient with me! 🍻

· Registered
353 Posts
So I was able to check out the bike today the dot numbers for the front are 3121 rear was 5021 so they’re pretty new. The front tire does have the slightest bubble in one spot. The rear looks fine, however the belt was super tight so I adjusted that to spec and we’ll see how it goes. Should I return the tire? Or just deal with it until I need new ones? This is my first bike and I am new to riding. Thanks for being patient with me! 🍻
these other guys would know best, but if it was me, i'd return it if possible. i bet that bubble is the source of your trouble

· Super Moderator
1,297 Posts
I'd return it. A bubble could be the start of a split belt. If you can't return it, maybe try to file a warranty claim. Either way, get it checked out. Any kind of bulge on a tire tread is not a good thing.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Do not mess with a faulty tire. EVERY RIDE you would be taking your life in your hands and flipping a coin to ask if today was the day the bubble will get bad enough to cause and accident. Its not worth it get that tire replaced ASAP. Some may say you can ride the bubble out and that it may be due to being stored improperly my opinion is its not worth the risk and if i had a tire put on and then found that I would have been pissed since a good shop should have taken the bike for a test ride to ensure everything functioned properly.

Keep in mind that it is best to pair tires so you need to get another shinko 777 for the front. Mixing brands is not recommended. Sometimes you can do it but its hard to find out which ones will pair well without trying and that can be costly.
Mismatched tires can cause all kinds of stability and traction issues (ask me how i know)
If you don't trust that seller find a different one and if you had it put on at a shop i would question who did the balancing since the bubble would have caused issues and should have been visible to who ever was doing it.

· Registered
108 Posts
You have received some excellent advice. That tire must be replaced, even if you have to pay. It's not worth getting injured or worse. Return it to the place it was installed and show them the defect. It should be replaced free and the distributor of Shinko should bear responsibility. Since tire "bubbles" are not unheard of, you shouldn't have an issue with the replacement. But do it asap. Manufacturing defects happen and I'm glad you caught this. Best wishes and safe riding!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts