Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the Kawasaki Dealer install new F&R tires because my others were dry rotting. Was looking forward to silky ride as the old ones were bouncy on even super smooth road. The last time the tires were changed the ride was without bounce or vibration. This time not so much ; now I bounce like a ball from about 25-50 mph and after that it smooths out. Not 100% certain but I sure think it is coming from the front wheel. I pinged the spokes and did not hear anything different- they all sounded the same. Interestingly the front ones sounded like hitting a water glass, a pitched tone versus the back spokes which all sounded like hitting something solid, a very flat pitch. Since all spokes on the front sounded the same and the rear as well I figured this was normal. Anybody think different? For you experienced ones out there: why does the bounce go away at higher speed? Where would you look to diagnose and fix the problem? And if the wheel or tire is not concentric why does this go away with greater speed. I rode it 75 and it was as smooth as can be. Thanks

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Same happened to me. I took it to a different place and they told me the front tire was way off. They rebalanced it and all fine.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I suppose "balance beads will not work in a tube, only tubeless tires?

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I suppose "balance beads will not work in a tube, only tubeless tires?
You can use them on tubes as well. I have them in my front tube. I had my last set of tires put on and I also noticed the dealer still put on wheel weights tho. That just boggles the brain. Even tho the tech knew I had the beads installed already. Depending on what type of machine was used for balancing I gues it's fine. But she rides nice either way.

In your case tho I would recommend checking out the front suspension. Is it possible someone installed after market fork springs? Might be too stiff for you.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Sounds like it's time for more research about the balance beads.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi guys same thing is happening to me now, just did the tires as it just seemed like the thing to do to start a new season, bike rode perfect before now not so much, installed the me888 up front lined up red dot to valve and I am using the beads as I have always had luck with them... so here us what in getting lower speeds bike bounces like your running over little speed bumps, past that great till you go past the 120km speed then wobble wobble like tear the bars from your hands and also now notice the odd occasional decal wobble

so what do I do where do I start again all was fine before tire do I break bead spin tire and try again, or take beads out remount and take to dealer to be balanced I would think that the beads should still balance the front regardless where the red dot is but maybe for some reason its to far off didn't know if any one had run into this

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Had beads in my tube last time i had tires put on and the installer still had to put weights on the rim. So beads are not always a perfect w system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had beads in my tube last time i had tires put on and the installer still had to put weights on the rim. So beads are not always a perfect w system.

so i took the tire off sucked out the beads and got it ballanced at the dealer with weights do not feel any shake over 120kph, i do occasionally still notice a lower speed decel wobble which i do not recall before

the guy at the dealer that has been there for ever explained that there are many tires i can use on the bike but the oem tire might not last as long but is made specifically for the bike its on the weight handling and the rake of the forks but it has to be the oem line .. i dont care if i have to spend 200 bucks on a front tire start of every season or two if it means the bike will handle as intended so next tire is oem :wink2:

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
so i took the tire off sucked out the beads and got it ballanced at the dealer with weights do not feel any shake over 120kph, i do occasionally still notice a lower speed decel wobble which i do not recall before

the guy at the dealer that has been there for ever explained that there are many tires i can use on the bike but the oem tire might not last as long but is made specifically for the bike its on the weight handling and the rake of the forks but it has to be the oem line .. i dont care if i have to spend 200 bucks on a front tire start of every season or two if it means the bike will handle as intended so next tire is oem :wink2:
You can certainly do that. My experience has been that Dunlop tires suck. Don't last and they follow all grooves in road surfaces. I have had great riding experience with the Metzler 888 and 880 on mine. No wobble, ever. Huge difference in Handling. Michelin Commander II's also are very popular. I wouldn't just go on the advice of the installer. Try different brands and see what you like. And as stated before on mine. I have beads in front tube and weights on rim.

·
Registered
328 Posts
+1 on the Metzlers. I used them on my 900 and now have them on my Nomad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
+ 2 on the Metzlers. I never noticed the bounce with my Dunlops but they did follow every damn imperfection in the road! There were times I actually worried I get pulled over for drunk driving on grooved highways because my bike would pull and sway so much, worse as they wore down. I now have ME880 White Walls on my 07 900 classic. The difference was like night and day. I can actually ride on the side of a groove and it will pull only very little. Of course the factory size was not available but the 170/80 is virtually identical in width. The bonus is that the overall diameter is greater which helps helps correct the factory 10% Speedo error closer to 5% now and reduces highway RPMs. My only complaint with these Metzlers is due to their much harder compound I notice the back breaking loose much easier than with the soft factory Dunlops. A few times accelerating with moderate aggressiveness out of a tight corner I have had the rear "drift" momentarily. Now I'm no slouch with performance and adventure but drifting on this bike... Yeah not so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts