Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had an understanding of why it rubs so bad... I am about 250lbs, but even at that I have the shock on setting 6 and the bike is 2" lowered. When I hit a bump, my chrome belt guard and swingarm slams into the FENDER. It has taken the paint off the swingarm and is almost worn through the belt guard. I also ride two up often, and you can only imagine... I am wondering if my rear spring is shot... I have yet to hear or see of another 900 owner with such problems.... and even though I am far from a featherweight, I can't be the heaviest guy riding one that is lowered.... I made a thread a while back looking for ideas and I dont think anyone responded. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The problem is likely that it's lowered. Lowering a bike usually reduces the suspension travel. Also, just make sure that you have the spring set at it's stiffest position; not it's loosest. Sometimes people get it backwards!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The problem is likely that it's lowered. Lowering a bike usually reduces the suspension travel. Also, just make sure that you have the spring set at it's stiffest position; not it's loosest. Sometimes people get it backwards!

I would also suspect the lowering.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's why I had asked on the other thread. That 200 tire is fine on a non-lowered but you decreased the travel distance and increased tire height/width at the same time :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had mine (Classic) lowered 2" and raised it back to a 1" drop because of bottoming issues. Sometimes it felt "plasticky", like the tire was hitting the splash guard. Others it felt metallic, like the shock was running out of travel. That could all be wrong, but that's what my butt was telling me. I don't always listen to it though, it's often full of shit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, just was wanting to check... because I see all of these people running 230 tires and are lowered 2" and claim no bottoming out occurs... It was bottoming out even before I changed the tire and lowered 2"... The shock is on setting #6 for certain... The frustrating and confusing part is that the tire isn't hitting anything, its the swingarm that is hitting the fender on the belt side.... I think I'm going to take the complete coil over out and have a friend machine me an aluminum spacer to put between the bottom of the spring and the actual shock flange... That way it should be a little more stiff.... I can't seem to find beefier springs for sale for them..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow. My bike is a Custom, lowered 2" and running the 230.

If I put my full 200 lbs on the pylon seat (remember it is further back, so applies more torque to the suspension system), my bike only drops around an inch, and the swing arm is so far away from the fender I cannot imagine it ever hitting. There are no witness marks on my swing arm, fenders, or upper belt guard.

I am running at the 6th preload position.

Like I have said in other threads, I never ride 2-up, but have never bottomed riding solo with my set-up.

Just for giggles, take a measurement like this:

1) put the bike on the side stand
2) make sure the bike is nicely settled on a flat surface
3) measure from the lowest point of the rear fender (say somewhere around where the red reflector is mounted), but measure from the lower lip of the rear fender down to the upper exposed edge of the rear rim, but try and keep the tape measure/ruler vertical.
4) you should get something between 2.5" and 3.0"

If you get less than 2.5" from the above measure, then you have more drop than I do using the Barons drop kit, set on 2" drop for me.

If you start with more drop, then you may experience a rubbing/hitting that I do not.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If it was bottoming out before you lowered the bike, maybe the something else is to blame? I used to load near on 500 lbs on my 900 by the time I had the myself, the wife, the luggage and all whatnot hanging from it. I NEVER bottomed the suspension once in 8000 miles. I ran with the preload at 7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts