Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I removed the gas tank and cleaned out the rust. I red coated the tank and made sure the breather tube nipple under the tank was not plugged by the coating. I also replaced the filter and fuel lines. I also replaced the leaking petcock with exact replacement. I replaced the lines one by one so as not to mess anything up. Like I said that was last fall. Yesterday I went out to finish up putting it together. I have two connections under the gas tank and I'm not sure what line goes to what nipple. lol may be old age. One nipple is towards the back middle and is metal. The other nipple is on the plastic cover that goes over the fuel gauge unit. I looked at microfiche and service manuals but nothing is clear.

Am I correct in assuming the two lines that turn into one line from the carbs goes into the metal nipple And the plastic nipple connects to the small white check valve ?

Also, I was sooooo disappointed to see the carbs are now leaking. They are leaking around drain screws and seal around bottom of carb. They didn't leak last year.
I did open the drain screws and flushed the carbs with wd40 thru the fuel lines. Could I have done something wrong? Did the wd mess up the seals?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
there is 3 air vent lines you should have, 1 vent line/hose is for the carb bowl to make the outside air same as inside the carb bowl, that vent line can run back towards the battery or below the seat or run into the side cover, it's only an air vent line so put it where it's not being blocked, the other #2 vent line is a nipple under the gas tank, actually both metal nipples under the gas tank are vent lines, 1 vents air into the gas tank so as not to create a vacuum inside as the gas drops from usage, and the other one is actually a gas drainage hose for when you fill up at a gas station and it overflows into a small hole near the gas cap and that gas will drain by gravity to down below the bike and onto the pavement, so both those gas tank nipples need to drop down below the bike into the outside air

1 - 3 of 3 Posts