Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now own two Voyagers I have had several over the years, really like that bike. I was planning on selling one but it must have gotten wind that I'm planning to send it to a new home because it developed an intermittent knock which sounds like it's coming out of the crank case. It's more of a tap really not a knock. I've had it into two shops so far and at first they can't hear it. Then over a period of several days and several starts it shows up. Sometimes very slightly and sometimes it's distinct. But nobody can put a finger on what it is. It's very expensive to take it out and split it open just to look. Does anyone have any experience with this? Bike has just under 25k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 just started doing that mid summer it’s like low on oil sound only cold goes away after 10 minutes? And when parked for couple of days ?? I was told to check oil pump pick up, but can’t get it looked at till spring will keep you posted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much, I wondered about the oil pump but never thought specifically about the pick up apparatus. Possibly an air leak where the actual pick up tube goes into the pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks very much, I wondered about the oil pump but never thought specifically about the pick up apparatus. Possibly an air leak where the actual pick up tube goes into the pump?
Just thinking- If that is the case, if the vacuum is not as good as it could be because the joint where the pick up tube attaches to the actual pump housing (undoubtedly a pressed joint) lets small amounts of air through, I wonder if keeping the oil exactly full (maybe even overfull as far as it can be without having engine oil get up into the air cleaner) and if it would keep that joint immersed in oil at all times then the poor vacuum problem would go away? I'm going to try that and see. I'll keep it posted here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just been looking at the blow up of the oil pump for our 1700's. I was way off on my guess about the oil pick up tube for the oil pump, essentially there is no pick up tube. The problem may very will be with the oil pump, but it can't be what I was theorizing. I was envisioning the oil pump on a car engine. When I actually looked at it. I realized that my shooting from the hip was incorrect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just been looking at the blow up of the oil pump for our 1700's. I was way off on my guess about the oil pick up tube for the oil pump, essentially there is no pick up tube. The problem may very will be with the oil pump, but it can't be what I was theorizing. I was envisioning the oil pump on a car engine. When I actually looked at it. I realized that my shooting from the hip was incorrect.
It's a lifter issue they bleed off when sitting for a few days I was able to eliminate mine by switching to rotella T6 15W/40 very high sheer rate helps seal the lifter no bleed down now even after sitting all winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts