Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to riding after a 35 year hiatus. Picked up my Kawasaki 900 classic 5 weeks ago. Have about 1,000 miles on her - love it. Last bike I had in college was a Honda 750 CB (started with a Honda 65 at age 15 and then a Honda 350 in high school). I thought the Honda was a Big bike back in the day - but now - man the bikes are big and powerful - although that 4 cylinder 750 could give the 900 a run. Must admit - was a bit nervous getting on her the first time - bit afraid of the weight but it all came back fast.

Have a question - after break in took her out on the causeway; this is a 24 mile bridge accross a lake, nothing to cut the wind - at 65 mph had a headwind/slight crosswind - made me nervous - I was sort of hanging on - would a windshield help - never rode with one before - any suggesting on the type

Think this is a great site - thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Lake Pontchartrain?

Windshield will help for head winds, but not for side winds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Richard, You and I have similar stories. I started on a CB 350, went to a 60h Yami, then did not touch a bike for 25 years. I bought an 09 VN 900 Classic LT. Similar thoughts, bikes got heavier, and more powerfull during my Hiatus..

That said, The windshield on a classic is tall - at 5'6", I cannot see over it. But after the addition of lowers it is real nice on the higway. I ride about 20 miles of open interstate to work. The window is worth is weight keeping the wind off. Crosswinds are a challenge cause it's so tall, but it is something you'll get used to - I was real skidish at first, but the 9 is such a great ride it handles it great.

Enjoy, and welcome to the 900 gang....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome. Lot of us are riding again after a long layoff.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome. Lot of us are riding again after a long layoff.
Sure are. I picked up my 900 Custom this year after about 15 years of no bike. It's good to be back. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

My LT has a largish windshield, which is great for keeping bugs out of your smile, but it can act like a sail when you're in dirty air (behind a truck) or you're taking a sudden gust of wind on the beam (side).
I've ridden in a lot of both - and it's not too bad on a VN900 - despite the fact that it's not a real heavy bike. You can pick up a LT windshield pretty cheap - and it will bolt right onto your classic - since the LT is a....classic.:D

I'd give it a try. Either way...you'll get used to wind yaw (again) and not even notice it after a while.

Good Luck.
Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I also spent 25 yrs without a bike. The Kawi windshield and any lowers you like to add will help with the wind and bugs. The 900 is a great bike, enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts