Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of boot's do you wear to ride ? I don't have any motorcycle specific boots and what I do have is uncomfortable so I've been looking around for some thing different , any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I wear Carolina Linesmen Boots with a 10" upper. They're a good solid boot with great ankle support. I've been wearing them for 4 years and they show no signs of wearing out. Some folks don't like the idea of lace-ups while riding, but I can't wear slip-ons of any type. Combine a weak ankle with plantar fasciitis makes finding boots that don't cause pain a challenge.

·
Registered
98 Posts
......Some folks don't like the idea of lace-ups while riding, but I can't wear slip-ons of any type. Combine a weak ankle with plantar fasciitis makes finding boots that don't cause pain a challenge.
Now see, for me - I have the plantar's - as well as a HUGE arch and NO ANKLE support so I have to wear some pretty "severe" orthodics in all my footwear ( - and yes, it was my original medical retirement so the VA provides.... thank God) -

"Laced" makes it difficult for me due to the shape of my foot, so I wear (and prefer) a side-zipper on a boot with a pretty snug "upper" to help keep my ankles supported.

Besides that - a really good "composite" sole on the boot to reduce wear and if and when I find a pair that meets/exceeds all my requirements, I keep a spare-pair in the closet 'cuz they're not easy to find!

:D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wear these... ( I think this is the right pic... )

great support and super easy side access zipper on both sides .... and you can lace it up tight or loose and then never have to lace it again !!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/117-264?utm_source=none&utm_term=117-262&zmam=95452747&zmas=1&zmac=7&zmap=117-262
Thats what I'm looking for easy on , easy off ! I'll be by J&P soon so I can try some on , thats the next hurdle , comfortable fit. I believe they might even be on sale right now.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Here's a copy of a post I made somewhere else a while back about boots:

Belleville makes a lot of good boots. I have several different styles for work-330 ST, 330 Desert ST, 340, and 550, but the 330ST in chocolate brown is my favorite for riding. I also have some Bates and Danners but I always come back to Bellevilles. They aren't cheap but I abuse boots and the Bellevilles last a while. I've never worn out a set of brown 330s but my last set of 330 Deserts took daily abuse for three years, including six months in Iraq and six months in Afghanistan before a hole developed at the bottom of the tongue near the laces.

I wanted to add that yes these boots typically have really long laces but I just tuck the extra into the top of the boot and haven't had a lace come loose yet. They aren't waterproof, though. I have some Danners that are more water resistant but can still get water-logged and soak through but they have a somewhat unconventional look to them, unlike the 330s.

·
Megatron
181 Posts
I wear boots made by Bates. They're made for military/law enforcement. They're very lightweight, waterproof, made of leather/fabric/rubber, breathable, lace up the front with a zipper on the side for easy on/off. They have great arch/ankle support.
They were recommended to me by a police officer who wears them every day for work. He says they always last him at least 2 years despite walking a beat several days a week. Mine are 3 years old and with only a bit of polish a couple times a season they still look brand new. I am very picky about the shoes I buy because if I don't have good support my feel kill me.
Check your local army/navy store or uniform supply house to try some on. You won't be sorry. Reasonably priced too at about $120.00 when I bought mine.
When/If these boots ever wear out, I'm buying the same boots again.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I wear these... ( I think this is the right pic... )

great support and super easy side access zipper on both sides .... and you can lace it up tight or loose and then never have to lace it again !!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/117-264?utm_source=none&utm_term=117-262&zmam=95452747&zmas=1&zmac=7&zmap=117-262
That is going to be my next boots! I currently have the MMCC Road Captain boots and I love them because they are the most comfortable shoes I have. They only zip on one side but that sure makes it easier to put on and take off. Two zippers should be even better.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I would LOVE to have a pair of side zipper boots. The laces are getting annoying.

Here are my requirements for boots:

1) Built out of thick and sturdy leather that can handle a slide, preferably steel toe (ever 'kick' something on the highway? I did a while back, truck shredded it's tire around a corner ALL OVER THE PLACE, I got the bike in between the shards no problem but forgot I was cruising with my feet bowed out. YOWZA when I nailed a piece of rubber at 70 mph on my toe. Thankfully, my boots have injection molded plastic toes)

2) Well above the ankle. Various pics and stories of crashes I've seen and stories I've heard involve short-length boots or tennis shoes flying off, so they need to stay on.

3) Thick, oil resistant sole with thick 'off road' style treads. Comes in handy when your stepping into mud or stopping on a bunch of gravel or something, I like to have lots of grip in my boots.

4) Some degree of waterproofing. Nothing is more miserable than wet feet. If I get caught in the rain, I want my feet to be dry. Now, my boots lets some water in at the tongue, but the only time that's caused my feet to get wet is when I've waded through water. Hard rains I don't get much water.

5) Laces must be secured. I like those velcro tabs that go over the laces. That way they don't get caught on the shifter or brake pedal.

I run with Vega touring boots. I like them, very comfortable to ride in, but not the most comfortable to walk around in. Sturdy though, and not too expensive. I'd prefer a zip side.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wear a pair of red wing boots... they are pretty tall, waterproofed, and cost $160. Work paid for $100 of it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wear boots made by Bates. They're made for military/law enforcement. They're very lightweight, waterproof, made of leather/fabric/rubber, breathable, lace up the front with a zipper on the side for easy on/off. They have great arch/ankle support.
They were recommended to me by a police officer who wears them every day for work. He says they always last him at least 2 years despite walking a beat several days a week. Mine are 3 years old and with only a bit of polish a couple times a season they still look brand new. I am very picky about the shoes I buy because if I don't have good support my feel kill me.
Check your local army/navy store or uniform supply house to try some on. You won't be sorry. Reasonably priced too at about $120.00 when I bought mine.
+1 on Bates. The side zip is easy on and off and the rubber sole really grabs the ground, especially in those slippery spots.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I found these by accident at a Goodwill store (yeah, I'm a tightwad). Brand new,all leather, steel toe, non slip molded sole, made in Brazil :( for $19.99... they feel pretty good walking and have good room in the toe area... draw back is you can't just find another pair easily.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wear my issued combat boots :) I get 2 pairs for free and can get them replaced for free when they wear out!

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
2 weeks ago I bought a pair at the Harley store, I was a bit reluctant buying boots over the internet so wanted to try them on before buying, I bought the HD Recoil boots, the toe is a bit big and will need to adjust my bikes toe shifter up a notch

·
Registered
259 Posts
get whatever boots you find most comfortable, then get the waterproofing spray that is available at most outdoor stores. it works! you may have to re-apply from time to time, but dry feet is well worth it.

also, if you end up with leather boots, kiwi polish not only makes your boots shine, last but it also keeps your feet dry!

·
Banned
102 Posts
Since you asked...

I'll tell you, I'm a software engineer and I work in an office with business casual dress code 3 or 4 days a week (you can donate a dollar to the American Cancer society to wear jeans on Mondays) with Fridays being jeans day.

I've been told I'm pretty fashion-conscious or "trendy" by co-workers. I'm probably guilty but I'm 6'4" 215 lbs and I'm particular about the way my clothes fit - mostly I want them to fit properly and, like cheap tools, you get what you pay for. (I've found that quality pays for itself over time) I'm especially particular about my shoes. The only dress shoes I own are a brown and black pair of Johnston and Murphy cap toes. My "casual" shoes are Cole Haan and, again, Johnston and Murphy. I have really a high instep so the wrong shoes kill my feet. In other words I have no qualms about spending $200 or more on a pair of good quality shoes.

Having said all that.... I was in Sears one day looking for a cheap work boot for mowing, cutting wood, etc. because my old pair (10+ year old) finally lost the soles...literally. I found these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_067B0021000P for $39. I bought them, wore them to work the next day, and I've been using them as riding boots ever since. :eek:

There's a saying in the software engineering world: "If it looks stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid." :D

I think they look good and they come up higher than regular 6" work boots. They're almost a mid-height boot. They're taller than a hiker but lower than a work boot. The top is padded and comfy. They fit my instep just right, they bottom 3 eyelets are lace while the next 2 are speed hooks. I never do the top lace. Easy on, easy off. They're cheap leather but the tongue is padded with a sort of suede nap. They don't look $39 and they feel like $150 to me.

If you don't tell, I won't. ;)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
+1

I just went from some HD clodhoppers that wore out the sole in 2 years to a set of Bates goretex boots. These things are LIGHT and comfy, just like sneakers! The side zip is a dream, and riding in a surprise shower proved their waterproofing. Only dampness was the soak in from the top! 119 at the local Bass Pro shop, cheaper online.

Even forgot to swap em one day at work, and no problem! VERY comfy!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 41 Posts