Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I'm looking to buy a Booster Plug or Power Commander to tame my S's twitchy throttle. I know a lot of people have said the BP does what it's advertised to do, at least at first. All the reviews I've read seem to be right after the person installed the BP and took it out for a ride.

What I want to know is how well the BP stands up over time. I've read that ECUs can more or less negate the effects of the BP over time, leaving the owner with a once-again twitchy throttle.

If you have had BP in your Vulcan S for, say, 6 months to a year or more, please tell me what your experience has been. Has the BP worked as advertised all the while you've had it? If not, what has the result been for you?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I have been running the Boosterplug in the Goblin for over 2 years, She still runs like a raped ape. If you go to the site there is a " manual" that you can down load that explains it . Basically the main time the Boosterplug effects the engine is during acceleration . other than that the OEM program is incharge. That's probably the only reason I get over 40mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HTML:
I have been running the Boosterplug in the Goblin for over 2 years, She still runs like a raped ape. If you go to the site there is a " manual" that you can down load that explains it . Basically the main time the Boosterplug effects the engine is during acceleration . other than that the OEM program is incharge. That's probably the only reason I get over 40mpg.
Thanks Bearslayer.
Since I’m looking only to tame the throttle, would it be fair to say the Power Commander is overkill?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been running the BP for 6 months or so. Interestingly every now and then the bike gets a little twitchy (in low gears) to remind me what it was like before the BP, that twitchiness always takes me by surprise but the feeling lasts about 30 seconds then goes back to being smoother. I also have a Delkevic exhaust and I think that has helped smooth out the throttle too.

My experience of BP has been positive and I would buy another for a new KVS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had the BP on my KVS and it worked. Over time I got used to it, where I thought it wasn't doing anything, but I was just used to the new twitchiness (which was way less). So, it does work. Initially, I was going to go with the cheaper "Throttle Tamer", but I decided to try BP. But the Throttle Tamer is an option for those that don't want to fork out all the cash and just want to have a more subtle initial roll on with the throttle. I've been reading good things about the Throttle Tamer, as with the Kawasaki Z900RS. It seems this bike has a lot of complaints about a snatchy throttle, as well. (I've never noticed this as a problem on my Z900?) To the point of I've been reading about people not buying it after the test ride. But, apparently, the Throttle Tamer does wonders for a budget fix and for those "$ all-in $" an ECU re-map can be had.

·
Registered
904 Posts
HTML:
Thanks Bearslayer.
Since I’m looking only to tame the throttle, would it be fair to say the Power Commander is overkill?
If you've got the money to be spending on a power commander and you just want to tame the throttle, just get the Booster Plug or the Throttle Tamer. The booster plug will also help with the heavy decel the KVS has also, if that bothers you as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you TOMB.

Have you run the BP with stock exhaust? If so, is there a difference between that and running with the Delks and the BP?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks VulcanHead.

So there’s still some twitchiness after the BP? I sort of thought that might be the case, but hopefully a tolerable amount.

I don’t know anything about re-mapping. Are we talking significant expense for that, and is it the sort of thing my local Kawasaki dealership should be able to do?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you TOMB.

Have you run the BP with stock exhaust? If so, is there a difference between that and running with the Delks and the BP?
Hi mate.

When I first installed the BP it felt immediately smoother and the engine more responsive (pokey). The delk smoothed it out further but I now feel like I've lost a little bottom end power.
All the stats I have seen say that shouldn't happen but it's what I feel so it's true for me
With or without the delk I'd get a booster plug or swap the front sprocket one tooth up.

Cheers.

Tom

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I went to 43 tooth rear sprocket that really helped. cheaper than other options ( except going up a tooth in front) this not only helps the touchy throttle but gives the lower gears a little more duration.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks VulcanHead.

So there’s still some twitchiness after the BP? I sort of thought that might be the case, but hopefully a tolerable amount.

I don’t know anything about re-mapping. Are we talking significant expense for that, and is it the sort of thing my local Kawasaki dealership should be able to do?
BP fixes it 90% is about my guess. What's left is tolerable for sure. With an aftermarket exhaust, as people have stated, it would help with the rest and the Decel too.

The re-map, as I was stating, was in regards to the Z900RS and it's complaints. I don't know of any ECU mapping for the KVS, other than running the Power Commander and having the bike tweaked via a dyno.
I believe @bearslayer has some experience with this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Totally different bikes but i installed a Booster plug on my friends 08 Kawi zx-6r. On my 3 hour experience on his bike after the install, I've noticed smoother throttle and going thru gears easier, oh and less popping out of his M4 slip on. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi mate.

When I first installed the BP it felt immediately smoother and the engine more responsive (pokey). The delk smoothed it out further but I now feel like I've lost a little bottom end power.
All the stats I have seen say that shouldn't happen but it's what I feel so it's true for me
With or without the delk I'd get a booster plug or swap the front sprocket one tooth up.

Cheers.

Tom

Thank you Tom. I appreciate your information. Good to know the BP works as advertised.
Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BP fixes it 90% is about my guess. What's left is tolerable for sure. With an aftermarket exhaust, as people have stated, it would help with the rest and the Decel too.

The re-map, as I was stating, was in regards to the Z900RS and it's complaints. I don't know of any ECU mapping for the KVS, other than running the Power Commander and having the bike tweaked via a dyno.
I believe @bearslayer has some experience with this.
Thanks VulcanHead. 90% works for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Totally different bikes but i installed a Booster plug on my friends 08 Kawi zx-6r. On my 3 hour experience on his bike after the install, I've noticed smoother throttle and going thru gears easier, oh and less popping out of his M4 slip on. Hope that helps.
Thank you Orange900C. That info does help. Seems BP will accomplish what I need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts