Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some troubleshooting advise. I have an '07 900 Classic LT. It has just shy of 14.5K on it.

At around the 14.1K mile mark I put in about 1.5 gallons of 1 week old gas from a gas can in the garage. I just needed enough to get to work and because of the rain I didn't want to stop off on the way. After work I filled up. Mid tank, about 90-100 miles later it started acting wie...rd. It started bogging out simular to carbed engines do when you forget to switch to the reserve tank. It would surge then bog, rinse and repeat. If I coasted for a few hundred feet in gear ( and piss off the people behind me) it would be fine for about a mile. I managed to get it home. The next morning I was already scheduled to put it into the service department for the 15K mile service and annual inspection. I was hoping it was just some dirty gas and all would be good after the service.

I got the girl back from service, put in a fresh tank of fuel and all was fine until I got a little over 3 gallons into the tank. Bogging out again. Mostly under acceleration after the engine has been under load for a bit (15+ minutes). I stopped got sone Gummout Injector cleaner, filled the tank and drove away without issue. Once again today as I neared the 1/2 tank mark, it started bogging out.

Since the service I have noticed that the old coast trick would not work anymore. If I stay in gear and on the throttle or coasting it stays bogged out with no recovery. The instant I pull on the clutch it stalls. I try and crank the engine, nothing. A few more cranks and finally on try 3 or 4 it fires.

The Fuel Pressure light never comes on unless the bike has been off for a bit. I know the lamp is working. The temperature lamp is not coming on so I am sure it's not overheating.

Some more testing on my own this week and I have clearly noticed a trend, as long as I keep the tank at 2/3 full or more, I do not seem to have the issue. Once I get below 2/3 it will start happening again and progressively get worse as the gauge goes down.

Again, it has the feel of hitting the reserve tank level in a carbed setup (or empty tank if you forgot to reset the switch, been there too). It also could resemble having a hot engine and the choke still fully engaged. Since this is an TBFI setup and I am new to having to troubleshoot it, any assistance you can provide will be appreciated.

Other notes:

Plugs and wires have been replaced.
Fuel tested and no water and clean

I have had a mechanic test drive it. It took three trips for him to finally get it to die at idle and buck under throttle. They have made their recommendation but am curious to get a second (or more) opinion. Therefore I am holding off on saying what they recommended.

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
Welcome in. There is more help in the 900 forum where other owners can assist you with your issue.

Edit: My mistake. I skim pages of messages so fast I only saw his one post count and not his premium membership and thought we were in the new member forum. Damn, first mistake I made this year so far! Hope it isn't an omen! ;):p

·
Registered
358 Posts
Regardless of indicator lights, it sounds like a fuel pump failure to me. With a full tank, gravity and the weight of the fuel will create enough pressure to keep the fuel flowing. When the tank gets low, there's not enough weight to keep the fuel flowing without mechanical assistance (the pump).

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regardless of indicator lights, it sounds like a fuel pump failure to me. With a full tank, gravity and the weight of the fuel will create enough pressure to keep the fuel flowing. When the tank gets low, there's not enough weight to keep the fuel flowing without mechanical assistance (the pump).
We have a winner. This is nearly an exact same explaination the mechanic said. We should know tomorrow morning, pump has been ordered and I have confirmed they have received it. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

I know fuel pumps are not a common failure but hopefully this post can help someone else in the future.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Daboo311,

When it comes to some things, anything fuel related, I prefer new. If it was my Durango (178K miles) and I was just looking to get another year or two, then ya, 1/2 cost internet or refurbished would be acceptable. That may just be me.

Did/does the ebay buy come with new O-rings? Would hate to see the replacement go in and then start leaking. :(

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the mechanic check fuel pressure with low fuel level?
What "fuel pressure light" are you refering to?
Not sure if he put a meter on it or not. I just know I was sitting in the showroom for 2 hours while they did 3 test drives and troubleshooting.

As the fuel pressure ight, I was mistaken, after re-reading the manual, it appears I was mis-reading the purpose of the Fuel Injection Diagnostics lamp that sits just above the oil pressue lamp. I thought it was pressue like the oil. Apologies for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

Fuel pump was replaced. Fuel was also strained. Looks like the gas can use was a bad idea. Was the only time I used a gas can with the Vulcan. A fair amount of grass clipings and dirt was found after straining the fuel. Original pump was retested but still weak, better flow but was <75% that of the new pump. So my initial assumption that dirty gas was the cause was true, but it caused the pump to weaken.

Pump is internal to the tank. Seems that an external pump with an easier to access and swappable filter would be a better option. Not to mention getting a couple more tenths of a gallon in capacity.

2 trips down to the empty mark on the tank and no issues. Note to self, NEVER use non-pump gas ever again.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A fair amount of grass clipings and dirt was found after straining the fuel.
I was filling my riding lawn mower early spring and saw a lot of trash in the tank. I have no idea how it got in there. My gas can is never left open and has a metal strainer. I've used this can a few times on my bike when mixing fuel with seafoam.

I think it's okay for you to use a gas can as long as you're careful.

As for the nasty fuel tank on tractor, I just added some seafoam and let her rip. :) It hasn't missed a lick!

·
Registered
498 Posts
:)2 trips down to the empty mark on the tank and no issues. Note to self, NEVER use non-pump gas ever again.
No...No.. NOTE to self clean the dang gas can out before you go thru the same with other motorized things you own. And a clean can is perfectly fine to use as long as the gas has not been sitting in there for months on end.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No...No.. NOTE to self clean the dang gas can out before you go thru the same with other motorized things you own. And a clean can is perfectly fine to use as long as the gas has not been sitting in there for months on end.
I've made a plastic tube siphon that has an automotive fuel filter on the end so that the fuel is filtered before added to the tank. There's all sort of sh*t that gets into a fuel jerry can.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Hi Sonofaking. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Unfortunately you have awoke a nine year old thread. It is easy to miss the original posting date and all of us have done it at one time or another. Since you posted on the 900 Model Section, I will assume you have a 900. The fuel tank vent hose is located at the front of the fuel tank and connects under the gauge nacelle. What issue are you having? Here is a link to download a factory repair manual for reference. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts