Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got the rear brake adjusted, chain slack adjusted, clutch adjusted, brake fluid filled, front signals mounted and headlight bracket made.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Been a slow week..... I got the wiring for the signals lights, headlight, and taillight all properly soldered and heat shrunk. I also had to re-wire the clutch lever wires because my new lever tangs didn't match the old connector. I cleaned up and painted the headlight mount I made..... That's about it. Not a real productive week, but work was busy. I'll be back at er on Sunday!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its looking great....I'm hoping to start mine soon...what are you going to do for a seat support...Fabrication???

Did you just spray bomb the parts, or powder coat??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The parts I'll be fabbing are the headlight mount, license plate side mount, battery/wiring cover/seat support, rear fender mount, and exhaust. The only other metal work I've done is grinding off the passenger peg mounts on the frame.

Everything is spray-bombed using Rustoleum Auto paint and Duplicolor for anything high-heat. Super budget build... although I probably could've used automotive paint for the same price by the time you start adding up all the spray bombs! I've done both before.... A true 2k paint job is definitely better, but I just wasn't set up for it properly this time around. I fully expect I'll be doing touch-ups since the paint isn't nearly as hard as a 2k job. I did a full 100% restoration of a Massey Ferguson tractor and did a proper hard finish 2k job that shined like a show car. The bad side of that is if it does get scratched/dented it's a lot more work to blend in a touch-up. That just wasn't the intention for this bike. Maybe it'll all flake off after the first month of riding... but we'll see! Haha!

·
Registered
473 Posts
When you say 2k, are you referring to the clear coat? I used 2 cans of that stuff on my bobber paint job... I hope it holds up well, but after 2 weeks of sitting, I accidentally dinged a screwdriver off each fender while installing them, and it chipped down to the primer. Ugh.

-John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
When you say 2k, are you referring to the clear coat? I used 2 cans of that stuff on my bobber paint job... I hope it holds up well, but after 2 weeks of sitting, I accidentally dinged a screwdriver off each fender while installing them, and it chipped down to the primer. Ugh.

-John
By 2K I mean a two component paint. It’s the paint + hardener. It’s what I’d use when mixing my own paint for my spray gun. There’s some options in rattle cans where you have another container inside the can that you “break” and the can is a one shot use.

You did a base + clear.... both paints being “1k” out of rattle cans (I assume).

No question that rattle can look great... it’s just going to be a much softer finish and more susceptible to damage and likely UV rays, etc.

I have several scratches I’ll need to touch up too. You hit any of this stuff with a metal object and it’s gonna scratch easy!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I used spray cans of automotive paint for the color, but used a 2k epoxy clear coat - with the little container of hardener. It's supposed to provide a similar hardness to factory paint.

-John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I used spray cans of automotive paint for the color, but used a 2k epoxy clear coat - with the little container of hardener. It's supposed to provide a similar hardness to factory paint.

-John
Oh nice! That should definitely help with durability!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh nice! That should definitely help with durability!
Thanks, I hope it does!

If not, it'll develop a nice "shiny rat" bike patina LOL.

It was my first time painting, after all.

-John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Progress Update

Well it was a crappy Sunday. It started with simply filling the bike with oil so I can get around to starting it. And.... I have a leak. Of course it's in the side cover where the sight glass is, which is impossible to get to without undoing motor mounts and removing the larger stator cover. So I had to remake that gasket. Then I tore the gasket on the stator cover.... so had to remake that one.

That outta the way, I started chasing wires to try and find out why it won't engage the starter. Got kinda lost so I resorted to making a wire diagram specifically for ignition off the main schematics. I also found a short on my right handlebar control and fixed that.

So kind of a 1 step forward 2 steps back kinda day. Nothing really accomplished other than fixing some of my own blunders.

All this for simply starting the bike..... haha. At least now I can start tracing the circuits to see why power isn't getting to my start switch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorted half the problem with the starter. A bad wiring on one of the connectors I had apart and the run switch was not put back together quite right. Got power to my relay now! But still not wore to the starter yet... Challenges for another day.

In the meantime, I got the headlight on.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts