Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started my build about a month ago. I’m chipping away at it in the evenings and weekends, but it’s coming along good!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. This is a budget build and I only needed the rear tire, so I stick with the Dunlop 404D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine is done and put back together. Installation should go faster later this week once some other bits dry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Initially I was looking at cheap seats on Amazon... the $50 ones. But then I figured if I'm putting this much work into it, I need it to be comfortable enough to actually ride! :) So I splurged a bit more on the seat and got a Biltwell Solo 2 Tuck and Roll. It feels firm, but should break in ok. Plus it'll be spring mounted and there's the bike shock.... should be a half decent ride...... hopefully!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha....new parts coming in fast!! Are u doing a rear fender??? Where did you get the seat???
Yup. Doing a 7" trailer fender, cut to size. There'll be nothing on the fender because I'm side mounting the license plate and taillight. I might consider an LED strip taillight tucked under the fender if taillight visibility is a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aside from the paint job (the majority of the work).... It's mostly all bolt-on stuff pretty much anybody can do. I will need to fabricate a headlight mount, rear fender mount, and under-seat cover for the battery area. And I chose to hack the exhaust and do 2-1/4" straights myself. You can buy all this stuff ready to bolt on, but the price is very high for what it is imo. I was trying to keep this entire build under $1,000USD and so far so good! 1/2 that cost was sandblast media, paint prep and paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Initially I was looking at cheap seats on Amazon... the $50 ones. But then I figured if I'm putting this much work into it, I need it to be comfortable enough to actually ride! :) So I splurged a bit more on the seat and got a Biltwell Solo 2 Tuck and Roll. It feels firm, but should break in ok. Plus it'll be spring mounted and there's the bike shock.... should be a half decent ride...... hopefully!
I was thinking the same...Blue Bobbers seat/adapter looks nice but at $500 + Canadian, I'm going to do the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tires mounted and balanced, rad put in and a few electrical pieces. Realized I needed the swing arm off to put the coolant surge tank in! Doh. I’m also braiding everything as I go.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dude, that is SO awesome! I do not have a garage or great space and time to work on my bikes, so I went the route of BCB, and am impressed with what I got. Sure, it's expensive, but even a dolt like me can install their kits!

I also painted my tins myself, so it's got a good 6/10 paint job on it LOL.

-John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some “not so sexy” work tonight. Got the wire harness and cooling system installed with the side covers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the bars, levers, controls all installed... and a clock! :)
* I have an issue with the throttle cables I'll post in the general forum...

RK chain and sprockets installed. I went with the same 17/39 setup that was on the bike when I got it.

The axle bolt is too short for this to work, so I'll need to find another mounting location. I may need to weld some tangs on the frame for this and the fender stays.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts