Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as a native Floridian, I have always owned both. In boats I have owned both sailing and power, bikes both cruisers and sport. Well, what we called sport bikes back then. But I have never given much thought to a comparison in injuries and deaths. Now, you hear a lot about how DANGEROUS bikes are, but not much about boats. I was reading last night, and came across stats for boat fatalities and injuries in Florida. WHAT??? They OUTNUMBER the ones for bikes!!!!!! So where is all the bad hype about boats?

According to the U.S. Coast Guard's 2007 statistics, 5,191 accidents caused 3,673 injuries and claimed 685 lives. Property damage was estimated at $53 million.

In 2007, there were 530 motorcycle deaths that occurred throughout Florida.

huh???? I am sticking to my bike...............

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think it is all relative. What I like about bikes is that I won't drown (unless I run it in to the lake). What I like about boats is no road rash.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm scared to death of drowning... but scared to death to get run over by a car after dumbing my bike. though I would rather die on land, then in the ocean. Which is why I joined the Army! My dad was Coast Guard in Viet-Nam and really REALLY wanted me to join, but I told him HELL NO. I asked him if he wanted a body to bury too. Kinda sad but thats how I see it...

And yes... More deaths do occur through boating then riding, mostly because everyone brings a cooler full of drinks out on the boat with them. And a lot of people dont even have the slightest CLUE how to handle a boat, or are just plain stupid about it. My boyfriend and I spend 4 days at lake Havasu, AZ for leave and when we asked the rental place how many people get hurt, he couldn't even number it. People just dont think about how dangerous boating is, plain and simple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well...I've come to learn the 3 B's, and that for various reasons, most men of modest income may only choose 2 out of the 3:

1) A bike
2) A boat
3) A bride

Don't know any married man that had a boat that bought a bike, nor a married biker who took up boating. I do know some divorced men with a bike and a boat...coincidence?

Disclaimer: I don't know enough female operators to know if it works the same for the ladies (replacing bride with "boy", of course).

-=Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not a big boating guy, mainly my grandfathers when I was a kid, but it was a 14' Al boat in a small lake in MN. I've been on a few Navy ships, some were massive, but I am no mariner.

The amount of injuries/death nationwide on a bike is still larger than boating.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My 2 cents... a boat you can see the lake or shoreline while at sea... on a bike you can see the world by land :D

I have been there and done both... boating is great too... used to love to water ski (knees would not like it much now), fish (no patients for that now), and is great for your sun tan (exposure to UV & skin cancer). It cost far more to run a boat than a bike :cool:

I know here in Tennessee we hear on the news at least as many stories of boating accidents as bike accidents if not more for the boats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is right in my wheelhouse- I've been a boater all my life; my parents were powerboaters, waterskiers, etc. In the Army I was a marine engineer (the Army has more small boats than the Navy 'cause they admin ports around the world.) During Vietnam, '68-'70, I was stationed on a tugboat in Thailand. Great duty for a single guy and I thoroughly enjoyed my two years there. A buddy and I used to rent Honda 350s and we rode all over the Sattahip and Pattaya area. After my discharge in '71, I took up sailing cause it didn't involve a large cash outlay for fuel and liked the purity of it. I rode Hondas, Triumphs, Kawasakis, then didn't ride for years, but stayed with sailing, moving from a 16 footer on up to my present boat, a 40 foot Beneteau sailboat. Three years ago I began to get the itch to ride again cause my sister's second husband rode both dirt and street. My BIL let me ride one of his and it all came back. I bought an 883Sportster, rode it for awhile, then went up to a 1200 Sportster. Nice bike, but Sporties are a young man's ride. Traded the Sporty for an '04 Kawi 1500 Vulcan Nomad. Through it all, I've stayed married to the same wonderful woman for 32 years. I guess I'm the exception to the rule; I have a wife, a boat, and a bike. I give thanks every day.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This is right in my wheelhouse- I've been a boater all my life; my parents were powerboaters, waterskiers, etc. In the Army I was a marine engineer (the Army has more small boats than the Navy 'cause they admin ports around the world.) During Vietnam, '68-'70, I was stationed on a tugboat in Thailand. Great duty for a single guy and I thoroughly enjoyed my two years there. A buddy and I used to rent Honda 350s and we rode all over the Sattahip and Pattaya area. After my discharge in '71, I took up sailing cause it didn't involve a large cash outlay for fuel and liked the purity of it. I rode Hondas, Triumphs, Kawasakis, then didn't ride for years, but stayed with sailing, moving from a 16 footer on up to my present boat, a 40 foot Beneteau sailboat. Three years ago I began to get the itch to ride again cause my sister's second husband rode both dirt and street. My BIL let me ride one of his and it all came back. I bought an 883Sportster, rode it for awhile, then went up to a 1200 Sportster. Nice bike, but Sporties are a young man's ride. Traded the Sporty for an '04 Kawi 1500 Vulcan Nomad. Through it all, I've stayed married to the same wonderful woman for 32 years. I guess I'm the exception to the rule; I have a wife, a boat, and a bike. I give thanks every day.
Sounds to me you are living the life... ya know the rule... he who ends it all with the most toys wins ;) and ya got a wife that has stuck with ya while you are doing so... life don't get no better than that :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was stationed on Northern Vancouver Island I attended many drownings from either boating collisions or people falling overboard. One of the most overwhelming things in common with the boating deaths was that the zipper on the pants on a very high number of the male victims was found to be down when we recovered the body. Yup, you guessed it. Drinking beer and pissing off the side of the boat and SPLASH!

You know, every thing we do carries with it a certain amount of risk. We can either assume that risk and do whatever we can to mitigate that risk (ie: obeying speed limits, driving defensively, wearing proper helmets, wearing life jackets, taking boating or motorcycle safety courses, etc.) or we can just jump on, fire it up and throw caution to the wind. When I see someone on a crotch rocket flying down a busy road pulling a wheelie or speeding and weaving in and out of traffic or flying down the highway at over 100 miles an hour, I see a statisic waiting to be recorded. I'm not saying that riding a motorcycle doesn't have risks. It certainly does and some of them are completely out of our control, however, there are many things we can do to make it far safer than it has a reputation for. I guess I did my stupid riding when I was young and was fortunate to have walked away from it. I lost friends doing stupid things out there. I ride now, and have for years, like I have a brain in my head and am always watching out for the other guy. I do the same in a car, a boat, my ATV and anything that I drive or ride.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Never done much boating, Air Force flew us everywhere. I do like to ride in them. I guess the main reason I have a bike over a boat is that there is no real rivers to laze around on a good boat around here and this is where the job is right now and we don't have a Bermuda Triangle on land that I know of;)

·
Registered
719 Posts
According to the U.S. Coast Guard's 2007 statistics, 5,191 accidents caused 3,673 injuries and claimed 685 lives. Property damage was estimated at $53 million.

In 2007, there were 530 motorcycle deaths that occurred throughout Florida.

huh???? I am sticking to my bike...............
The CG annual reports comes out every spring. I don't recall the details but the accidents get broken down by category. You don't need brains to own a boat...only money. At least you need a license to operate a bike. 20 years ago MD started requiring people born after 1972 to pass a Coast Guard safety class. My daughter was 7yo when she took it (passed). Since I usually took the kids out I wanted someone else able to drive the boat in case something happened. We had 2 major accidents on the Chesapeake Bay last week. One was a go-fast boat late at night and alcohol was involved - his gps was also not working. The other was seasoned and respected captain that ran into a jetty at night. Results aren't in yet but it's suspected he may have had a health crisis that contributed to the accident. This captain had recently received an award for saving several people from a boat that sank.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
On the lakes here in Tennessee what we hear about crashing the most are the speed boats and Jet Ski's... same goes for bike accidents... speed (and alcohol), even if the bikes a cruiser... but many times it's a sports bike. Man seems to have a need for speed (saw an I-Max Movie once one this topic)... have to admit myself I like the feel of the acceleration still... no worries as far as alcohol goes as I don't drink... guess we would all be better off if we were to make better decisions and ride near speed limit and don't drink and drive.!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts