Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused on this subject and there doesn't seem to be a lot of useful information around.

My friend just bought a Bilt Bluetooth equipped helmet with DWO-4 (whatever that means) and I would like to have rider-to-rider communication with her but I don't know what the compatibility issues are. The Cardo Scala website always refers to use with other Scala products but doesn't come right out and say others are not compatible. So... Is Bluetooth compatible across brands, or not.

Bilt also has DWO-3 and DWO-4 helmets but doesn't make the differences clear. Since I don't need a new helmet I might like to consider a Scala unit but I have no idea if it will pair up with other brands like the Bilt, or whether the DWO thing is at all important in compatibility.

The folks at Cycle Gear where she bought her helmet steered her to the "newer generation" DWO-4. She is not clear what improvements might be between the models, but the DWO-4 was more expensive. I couldn't find any reference to DWO-3/-4 online that didn't reference the Bilt brand. So I guess that means it is not a Bluetooth feature?

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You may want to investigate the Sena 20S. They claim that they are compatible with other systems but I don't have any experience with DWO-4. You can find information for the Sena 20S here: 20S - Sena

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to investigate the Sena 20S. They claim that they are compatible with other systems but I don't have any experience with DWO-4. You can find information for the Sena 20S here: 20S - Sena
Thanks for the link SpinDog. I never heard of them until you posted the link.

Looks like a great unit and claims universal compatibility which is perfect. The latest models seem to be Bluetooth 4.x and the older spec is Bluetooth 3.x, That may be what Bilt is indicating with their DWO-3 and DWO-4 units.

The Sena unit is a bit pricy at the 4.x level. I could just get the new Bilt helmet with 4.x for a few just a dollars more.

Does anyone else have any knowledge or experience with cross-brand compatibility? I've been spending a lot of money on accessories and toys for the new Vulcan. Iould live to save a few bucks if I can.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Bluetooth devises "should" all pair (talk, hookup to) with each other.
The DWO has to be from the helmet maker only.
Bluetooth has revs which I think are at 4.X now.
Its kind of like a radio. Every radio can receive and play a station doesnt matter how makes the radio. So every bluetooth helmet should work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluetooth devises "should" all pair (talk, hookup to) with each other.
The DWO has to be from the helmet maker only.
Bluetooth has revs which I think are at 4.X now.
Its kind of like a radio. Every radio can receive and play a station doesnt matter how makes the radio. So every bluetooth helmet should work.
That's what I would have thought too. But Sena sells that "universal compatibility" as a feature, and Cardo Scala makes no mention of it at all. Cardo always mentions pairing with their own products. Hence the question.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you think about it, they universally pair to all phones correct? Should be the same for other sets.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Be forewarned: ChatterBox brand Bluetooth communicators for example will only communicate with their own. When in doubt it's best to ask the manufacturer directly. Don't assume that any two brands are compatible unless specifically noted by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Be forewarned: ChatterBox brand Bluetooth communicators for example will only communicate with their own. When in doubt it's best to ask the manufacturer directly. Don't assume that any two brands are compatible unless specifically noted by the manufacturer.
Lol, so much for my brilliant theory!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lol, so much for my brilliant theory!
Well it's a fair assumption. The only reason why I know is that I've fallen victim to this myself. It's a free-for-all out there for the moment but eventually the manufacturers, hopefully, will conform to a universal standard.

·
Registered
705 Posts
All I can say is bluetooth IS a universal standard.

The fact that one manufacturer is for some reason NOT connecting up to all bluetooth devices would make me NOT want any of their stuff!!! They are just after your money to buy their higher priced things.

Bluetooth is a defined standard and all devices SHOULD connect to each other no matter WHO makes them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bluetooth should pair up. I use a Scala system and I have a friend that has both the Scala and Sena and he said they communicate just fine to each other. I like having a Scala to communicate with my gal while we are riding.

My Scala is paired to my smart phone. BUT, I WILL NOT, ever answer ANY cell phone call while I am riding. I simply do not understand the logic and rationale of answering a friggin phone while riding a motorcycle. C'mon really? A phone call is really so important to interrupt something as special and intimate as riding your bike? To answer a call, even inside your Bluetooth equipped helmet is worth it? To me, my riding is FAR to sacred and personal to me to have it spoiled by answering a damn phone. My time on my bike is when I am away from all the other crap of life, especially all the crap on the phones these days. I note when my phone beeps a notice into my Scala when I am riding, so that the next time I stop and I'm off the bike I will check my phone. Beyond that I have absolutely no use for a phone capability in my helmet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts