Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone. I am curious about anyone's experience with Apple Pro Airpods versus in-speaker helmets like Senna. I am using the Airpods with noise cancellation on, and thought that would be an ideal solution, but I have to crank the iphone volume all the way up at freeway speeds, and still can't hear very well. Otherwise, I think my hearing is normal (although my wife might disagree). I am using OEM pipes on my Classic, so there is not a lot of exhaust rumble, but my helmet seems to have a lot of wind noise. Am wondering if the Sennas would work better for music and phone conversations without blasting the db's. Second question: can anyone recommend a relatively quiet helmet that won't break the bank? Typically use a 3/4 with face shield to catch some breeze, but am flexible if it is quiet. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use the Cardo system for communication and link it to my phone for Sirius/XM and it works great with their JBL speakers.

I'm on a 900 with Cobra swept exhaust using a modular helmet

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
139 Posts
I don't talk on the phone when I'm riding. I only use it to stream music and occasionally to hear GPS directions from my phone's GPS app. About 90% of my riding is on the highway.

I have a set of the original Apple earpods.. They wouldn't work with my 3/4 helmet because of the little 'arms' that stick out. When I put the helmet on, they'd always catch on the liner and pull the pods out of my ears. I picked up a set of Jabra Elete 65T Earbuds. They fit completely in the ear and don't get pulled out when I put on the helmet.

The Jabra's are noise cancelling.. But as you've experienced, the volume still has to be turned up on the highway. Unless you can get a soundproof helmet, I don't think there's much that can be done. It gets annoying having to turn the volume down whenever I go into town and have to turn them down.

No idea what helmet would be quiet on the highway.. I have a half helmet and a 3/4.. Don't plan on going full face, so I've got to put up with the higher volume on the highway.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I use the LG HBS760 with my half helmet (helmet skirt on) and the Cardo/JBL freecon4+ with my modular helmet (no mic at this point). The cardo will adjust according to how loud is in the helmet - nice feature. The JBL speaker is pretty decent but I only have stock pipes.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
431 Posts
I've used Uclear for over 5 years. I really like it. Sound is decent, good battery life, waterproof, cost effective, cross brand linkable, simple to use and has linked to multiple phones without any issues. I've used them over 9 hours before low battery tone started beeping. Wife has one on her helmet and intercom works great. I used the Uclear in HJC 3/4 helmet, HJC modular, HJC full face, Speed and Strength full face and Hawk full face. Fits well on all. I swap helmets often while washing helmet liner. I have bought additional mounts($10.00 each) for all my helmets. I use it on my daily commute and take phone calls often. Call quality is good up to about 60 MPH. Above that it can be hard to hear. Streaming music is good at any speed. Recently was coming back from San Antonio and went 84 miles in 59 minutes, so I averaged 84 MPH and music was good the whole time. If I had to replace it I would buy again.

·
Premium Member
2003 Nomad Maroon/beige and 2003 Nomad Black
45 Posts
I use a modular helmet with

The integrated SENA DWO-5 Bluetooth v3.0 system offers the following functions:
  • Universal Intercom protocol works across all brands up to 430 yards
  • Smartphone music sharing through the Bluetooth stereo headset
  • Automatic audio boost in noisy environments
  • navigation instructions
  • Up to 8 hour talk time with 7 day stand-by time
  • Voice operated phone communication
  • Free phone pairing in-store
I have no `issues with it.I can here my XM fine also my phone calls.Wife said she could him me fine and no background.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a Torc T15B modular helmet that has a built in system and I really like it. This is my second one after a low speed crash in the previous model. I feel like I can hear most phone calls and radio while still hearing road noise for safety reasons. They run around 215 I believe and also give you the ability to sync with another of the same helmet for coms purposes if you ride with a passanger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have tried many things for listening to music and for me the absolute best sound while riding has come from these bluetooth ear plugs.

They work really well, I do not have to turn the volume all the way up to hear them on the highway and they do not get in the way of the helmet. I have tried other similar earbuds but so far these have been the best for me for motorcycle riding and listening to music. Now these are not really communication devices, you can talk on the phone with them but cannot use your voice to control it and they are not gonna talk with cardo's or sena's etc...

·
Registered
2014 Vulcan Voyager with a few mods, 2004 Honda VTXc pretty much stock except for pipes
14 Posts
I use the Sena 10U pad with a modular HJC. Not the best quality sound but certainly load enough at any speed I wish ride.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan S 650 ABS
25 Posts
I do not know why helmets these days cannot offer bluetooth noise cancelling headphones as an option?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good day everyone. I am curious about anyone's experience with Apple Pro Airpods versus in-speaker helmets ..
I use and love a Cardo Freecom 4 Plus in a Schuberth C4 modular. The absolute best feature is that it works with “Hey, Siri”. I can leave my phone in my pocket and tell it to play a playlist, or a radio station, or raise or lower volume, or if it’s mounted on the handlebars, I can ask her to map a route to somewhere.

Hands-free isn’t perfect, yet, but it works for 95% of what I need.

The Freecom 4 Plus may work as well with Android phones, too, but no experience with those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts