Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic. Every time I try and start the bike the 10A ignition fuse blows. It does start with a 15A fuse but I don't want to run it with the wrong size fuses.

Any and all help on where to start and what could maybe be the problem would be much appreciated.

Also any good websites to order parts from?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. How many miles on it?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Any modifications to the electricals...lights, etc?
4. Have you done anything so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stair about 32000
It has a light bar that was there when I bought it.
Had it about 2 year
Had the ignition coils and ecu replaced last year. Told the shop about the blowing fuse and made the mistake of assuming they fixed it.

The battery is over charging and it wasn't till I started tested the stator and rectifier that I noticed it still has a 15A fuse.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
The shop replaced the coils and ECU for the fuse blowing?
If you replace the fuse with the 10 amp, does it blow when key is turned on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sort of. It all started October of last year. I was on a long ride and at one of the stops it was making a loud squealing sound (hard to describe the sound) coming from the left side of the bike. After reading some of your other threads I think it was the stator. No one knew what the problem was so I just left it to enjoy the activities of that stop. When it was time to leave the bike would not start just make a ticking noise like the battery was dead. Towed it to a dealership who jumped it and it ran for about 5 mins. Towed it home cause I did not have the money to have it fixed. Put in a new battery I got from the dealer and when I tried to start it the ignition fuse blew. And it blew 2 10A fuses total. The only other fuse I had was a 15A which did not blow but the bike still would not start. It sat for a couple months till I could get it fixed. The shop spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong and they noticed one of my ignition coils had melted. They also noticed the ecu was throwing bad signals so they replaced the bad coil and ecu. On a ride a few days later I noticed I was only running on one cylinder and the exhaust was insanely hot. Took it back to the shop and they replaced the other ignition coil. All was well. I put new cobra exhaust and intake and a Dobeck fuel processor. It ran great for about a week. I got of the bike one day and heard the loud squealing again. I took the battery out and noticed the sound was coming from the battery. The battery was also steaming and swollen. Called the shop, that did the repairs, and they said the charging system is bad and over charging the battery. I tested the stator and rectifier, best I could, and both tested fine. I am not convinced that they do not need to be replaced as I am not sure I tested them correctly. I followed instructions you put in another forum best I could but not sure I did it right. When I was doing the test is when I noticed it still has a 15A fuse. I have not yet checked to see if a 10A fuse will blow, the bike is at a friends house.

I know this is a lot and I really do appreciate all your help!!

I will update about the fuse when I get a chance to test it with a 10A.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to my post.

I was able to replace the ignition fuse with the recommended 10a fuse this weekend and the bike ran great. She did not hesitate or anything.

I did however check the voltage at the batter while she was running with engine at about 3500 rpms getting a reading of 19.5 volts. Is that to high for the battery?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts