Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlight, tail light, and right blinkers all work but my 2 left blinkers do not. The front one is very dim but never blinks and the rear doesn't come on at all. Could it just be bad L.E.Ds (guessing thats what they are) or is it a single bulb in each? Haven't investigated any further, I'm calling it quits for the night.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The LED's do not draw enough power to properly activate the flasher. You can either add a 'load equalizer' or substitute an electronic automotive flasher.

You may also have to modify the indicator in the dash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
No sir. Only the right ones have been functional.
Okay. Now either move the bulbs from the right side to the left side or install regular bulbs in all housings and recheck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
"Its one switch that I slide to the left for L side and slide to the right for R side."

understood on switch but i'm asking about the L/R indicator (s) ...single for both L/R or twin ..1 for L, 1 for R ?

I've read about (and personally experienced) the type of wiring circuit design (specifically using a single L/R indicator) requiring diodes installed in the harness. I converted my Ducati to full LED front/rear and experienced a "dead side" ...until installing diodes.

Not owning a 500....thats why I'm asking....only trying to help here.

***************************************************************************************

Why Do I need a Diode Kit When I convert to LED’s?
Some metric bikes have 2 indicator lights on the dash for the turn signals, one for left and one for right.
But many bikes only have a single indicator light for both turn signals. It is the single indicator light circuit
that has issues with current “leak” when switching to a low current LED turn signal. A diode in the
circuit at the indicator light will prevent the current from travelling in the wrong direction and allow the
front turn signals to flash properly.

Google the phrase "diodes for LED turn signals" ...common issue affecting single indicator type t/s wiring, may be your issue.

Fully concur with above.....getting all 4 to work with standard bulbs before switching to LED is first and foremost

·
Registered
507 Posts
LED's are one-way valves for electricity, so maybe there's reversed polarity on the non-working side. Could have happened with the install of what I'm assuming is an aftermarket flasher. Wouldn't make any difference with standard incandescent bulbs, but LED's only work when the +'s and -'s match up correctly.

If you stay with LED's you may still need a diode kit, because once you get both sides working, both sides may blink together -- giving you four-ways instead of turn signals. Depends on the voltage drop of the indicator light -- if it drops the voltage enough, it won't make the threshold of the LED's and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My apologies, misunderstood you. I have a single indicator lamp for the blinkers.
and I misunderstood you as well....I failed to comprehend all were not currently operational with standard bulbs. You need to get that down first...trying an LED conversion over an existing fault will drive you/me/anyone absolutely nuts.

If you Google, you'll see that, as trivial or impertinent as it may seem...if doing an all 4 LED swap..bikes with single indicators require the diode add..1 per side actually. As far as I know..this is not a brand specific need...Honda, Suz, Yam, Ducati affected..not sure about your Kaw Vulcan...but some research or another members experiences may clarify.

If memory serves me correct...doing all 4 led's on my Duc...only 1 side worked initially ...prompting me to research and discover the need for diodes. Common, inexpensive 1N4004? ...soldered inline.

I've got a PDF instructional. Can email if you need, let me know. You may find something online.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well something new has come about. I put my instrument panel back on and plugged in and now all lights flash together except one. I'm guessing its probably blown out maybe? because when I turn that side on it blinks really fast. Did I read somewhere that blinking together means I need to unplug the indicator light to operate correctly?

·
Registered
239 Posts
ret squid....this was accomplished to this point with LED's?

Did you ever get all 4 operational using standard bulbs FIRST?

Tellin' ya....working a LED swap over an existing, unknown malfunction could turn into a nightmare!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts