Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a light bar on my 900 classic (probably will be a cobra) but don't want to add any more chrome to the styling. To match the headlight bucket and engine, I'm trying to think of the best way to take the light bar to matte black. After scouring the internet, I'm actually surprised that not many matte black aftermarket parts exist.

Anyone have any cost-effective DIY experience with this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone told me about plasti-dip.

From what i bought and read its basically like a vinyl covering, you can peel it off but it does look to hold up so so.

I've seen where it's started peeling from rock debris.

Otherwise DIY painting or professional.

(I'm in the same boat,trying to get rid of most the chrome) Not many things come in matte black

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would try the Plastidip route. It's easy to touch up and if you don't like it, you just peel it off.

You can't paint over chrome and expect it to stick, so the best way would be sand blast and powder coat, but that costs more.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
plasti dip too. if you get a blemish, use some acetone on a cloth to rub it down to smooth it out, let dry and spray it again as touch up... works well

·
Registered
19 Posts
May not be what your looking for, but I had my bikes engine guards sprayed in Rhino Liner(a surface coat used in truck beds). I have a 900 Custom and I wanted the guard to be blacked out and "disapear". The surface is lightly textured, weatherproof and extremely durable. You can buy "mix yourself" bedliner in auto parts stores for about $40.00

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Great idea for the crash bar...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I'm looking to put a light bar on my 900 classic (probably will be a cobra) but don't want to add any more chrome to the styling.
I am interested in doing something similar. The thing I don't like about plasti dip is how it holds up to repeated cleaning. The amount of bug debris I have to clean up after a ride has me wanting something more durable. I may try a rattle can, taking great care not to create any runs with multiple coats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts