Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi any one have any ideas on how to black out the chrome on my bike I want to black out my gas gauge and tail signal as well as headlight has any one done this

·
Registered
222 Posts
On everything metal I would go with powder coating and paint on the plastic ones. I did my other bike like that and it turned out great.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep. You will need to ruff it up with some sand paper and then shot it with primer then with the finish. With plastic take it slow. Light coats and build it up. If you try and spray a lot at once it won't stick and it will run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool I'll try that and I don't need a clear coat if I go flat or matte black

·
Registered
222 Posts
One last recommendation. Get a piece you can practice on so you can get a feel for it before you try it on your bike.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Ok will do thanks bud
I'm guessing you mean the gas cap, not gauge. You will have to take the cap apart before you can powdercoat the top pieces. Take a lot of photos of the teardown so you can put it back together correctly. Mind the little springs that will jump out at you. I did what you want to do about two years ago and like the look. You may want to consider doing the handlebar, brake reservoir and mirror mounts too. All can be powdercoated. I used a rattle can primer specifically for plastic then shot my top coat and followed it with clear for the cylinder head covers, turn signals and tail light. I know matte clear is available, at least over here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Most of my bike is plastic lol the fenders and the gas guage bezel. I painted mine to match the body color of the bike. Don't use anything less than 320 grit to rough up the plastic chrome. then a good sandable primer after that dries well hit that with 400-600 finer the better just to smooth it out. Then do you color cote is your rattle canning it flat thats it. If you want shiney then you would want to make sure you have no dirt or fuss in the color then shoot the clear. The valve covers are plastic chrome as well as the blinkers. Make sure you scuff the eges well thats where it will start to lift if you don't. Oh the air cleaner cover and coil cover, primary cover and the coolant resevior cover are all plastic chrome too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Biggest thing to remember is to PREP you surface. After you have scuffed your surface, use a degreaser/dewaxer to get all the goopy bits (even ones you cant see and feel) off. Foregoing this step will cause your paint to not stick and look spotty.

Also, painting your metal bits is not a bad thing. Sure, powder coat looks great and is super durable, but, if prepped and sprayed properly, paint can look really nice as well. I have painted my Cobra highway bar black (started chrome, boooo Cobra) and I painted my stock mirrors. Both turned out great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here is what I did on my bike to black it out:

Painted metal headlight surround and metal air filter cover (Arlen Ness Big Sucker).

Painted plastic Tail light cover.

For all of these I prepped the surfaces by scuffing them with a red 3M pad (available at auto parts stores). Then I wiped down the parts with Acetone and a paper towel to remove any finger oils and dust from sanding.

I did not prime them. I find that primer makes for a bumpier surface and I personalty don't care for that look. I painted the plastic piece with Krylon Fusion spray paint that is made for plastic. The other metal pieces were painted with regular Krylon satin.

ALL SPRAY PAINTING SHOULD BE DONE IN MULTIPLE LIGHT COATS! :D This prevents runs in the paint. I wait about 10-20 minutes between coats depending on temp and humidity.

I have had them painted since my bike was new and the paint is holding up great. It looks as great as the day I did it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts