Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been playing around with the idea od painting various chrome peices on my bike (airbox cover, headlight bezel, the trim on the rear fender, and possibily handlebars and exhaust) with this black shadow type chrome paint from Dupli-Color.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shadow/

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with this stuff and or tips and suggestions. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't have any experience myself, but I'd be VERY interested to know how this works out for you if you do it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Personally, I'd be worried how easily it would scratch...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't think that it would scratch anymore than normal, and then if it does you can just strup it and redo it. I just don't want to do it and it turn out looking like crap.

I might just do the air cleaner cover (since I plan on replacing it soon anyways) and see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I have not used that paint but used color-rites paint on chrome and plastic on my Honda years ago. As far as chrome, I painted my headlight bezel and to prep I sanded/scuffed up the chrome so the paint would adhere. I primed, painted and clear coated it. It still looks great, no peeling or chipping etc.

You can see the painted bezel and neck covers in this pic:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm gonna try it! I've looked and looked for black chrome accessories and can't find em. I think I'm going to try the rear belt "guard" first. I love my scoot but was a little surprised when I realized that most of the chrome pieces are plastic.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try it! I've looked and looked for black chrome accessories and can't find em. I think I'm going to try the rear belt "guard" first. I love my scoot but was a little surprised when I realized that most of the chrome pieces are plastic.
If you get to it before I do make sure you SHOW us how it turned out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tried it out today, results were kinda crappy. I wanted a nice deep dark look so I applied about 6-7 coats of the base and 3 coats of the clear. It was way to dark and there is no "black chrome" look to it. I'm going to strip it and redo it. BTW, I did the cover on the right side of the engine.

I'll post pics for todays work whenever I have the look I want, hopefully this weekend I can work on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd like to see the crappy results too, if possible.

Chances are if it's crappy, that's exactly how it'd come out for me. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts