Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
I wonder what would happen if the black box was "accidentally" disconnected from incoming data? Or maybe something "happened" that caused it to fail to transmit?

After all, anything can be made to look like an accident.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I wonder what would happen if the black box was "accidentally" disconnected from incoming data? Or maybe something "happened" that caused it to fail to transmit?

After all, anything can be made to look like an accident.
Well, my guess is that should it be deemed mandatory, the vehicle just won't run or will operate in some sort of limp home mode if the box doesn't pass self- test/validation or doesn't "phone home".

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Well, my guess is that should it be deemed mandatory, the vehicle just won't run or will operate in some sort of limp home mode if the box doesn't pass self- test/validation or doesn't "phone home".
hahaha!!! this would be the first thing i'd be pulling off my bike.. not running my azz!! wat, you think i dont know how to make a bike run? they ran fine all by their lonesome b4 the SS Gestapo got into office. I'd make it run, like a BOH!!
while I was having fun, I'd probly mail.. better not use USPost service.. this little gift to the white house and tell them where they can stik their lil blak box. up their lil blak.. no, i'm not writing it.

NOW if you want to 'lectrify yor life,, er skoot.. put a dash cam on the bars or helmet and start recording your daily commute in traffic. Post some of the more interesting vehicle behavior on U-Tube complete w/license #s, locations and any other personal info you can dig up.. Lets see if any of the "main-stream?" media pix up on this,, 50% of all drivers are engaged in other activities that distract them from paying attention to thier driving..
and you are out there on your bike among them.. yikes!!!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
hahaha!!! this would be the first thing i'd be pulling off my bike.. not running my azz!! wat, you think i dont know how to make a bike run? they ran fine all by their lonesome b4 the SS Gestapo got into office. I'd make it run, like a BOH!!
while I was having fun, I'd probly mail.. better not use USPost service.. this little gift to the white house and tell them where they can stik their lil blak box. up their lil blak.. no, i'm not writing it.

NOW if you want to 'lectrify yor life,, er skoot.. put a dash cam on the bars or helmet and start recording your daily commute in traffic. Post some of the more interesting vehicle behavior on U-Tube complete w/license #s, locations and any other personal info you can dig up.. Lets see if any of the "main-stream?" media pix up on this,, 50% of all drivers are engaged in other activities that distract them from paying attention to thier driving..
I"m sure you could make it run by stripping off every bit of computer and interfaces, reverting back to carburetors or whatever. But, if it actually came down to that, and such devices were mandatory and enforced, with nothing reporting back to the mothership you'd be on the "let's pay a visit" list.

It really boils down to a matter of how serious "they" want to get about it, not really whether or not it could be defeated. There's a workaround for just about anything but how well that would work out for you in the end is a completely different matter.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wru,, wat yor saying is that they'd be watching me... tell me something new! as for flying under the radar... well if/when they need feedback... i can give them all the feedback to fill thier lil hearts.. it just wont be good data..heck it might even be yors.. just nuff data to keep em at bay.. see no matter how much Krap they can layer.. they are only as good as the layer'er... where did they get all their shiney new toys from anyway.. the layer'ers.. its all doable.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
dang, thought i had a pic to post.. FMJ cranial implants,, 7grams(?) of lead encased in full metal jacket preferably between the eyes.. opens the door to allahs house of virgins. free insertion. painless,, for the inserter. dang, wing'd 'nuther one. got me a heck of a callous pulling this trigger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dang, thought i had a pic to post.. FMV cranial implants,, 7grams(?) of lead encased in full metal jacket preferably between the eyes.. opens the door to allahs house of virgins. free insertion. painless,, for the inserter. dang, wing'd 'nuther one. got me a heck of a callous pulling this trigger.
Sir,,, I like the way you think!!!:) Ride Safe

·
Registered
223 Posts

Lol
Little black box on Bikes is never gonna happen. Although I'm very down for the whole dash/bar cam. Now if they paid me commission on the tickets they get from my cam that would be great$$$
Then I might consider another box up my ass. I come home to one now that needs info on a daily basis and doesn't like the bike so it won't be anything new!

Here's onething I am a bit concerned about. I got a garmin that has Bluetooth. I got my maps that distract me already and my BOX at home can call me on it (Thank You Bluetooth) which makes the roads even more dangerous for guys on bikes. I'm sure soon it will have texting on it.
My solution: enjoy the ride put the maps in your pocket if you get lost pull over whip out the garmin figure out your bearings and continue the ride!!!

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mr inferno., back in the day b4 they invented maps or even ink and paper as I recall.. we just headed off in a direction and did a shet load of dead reckoning as far as gettin anywhere. now I know its not the mos efficient or straight line method, but it sure was a lotta fun figuring out how to get anywheres and you got to explore all kinds of backroads and meet people.. heck, you had to stop an visit just to find out where you was and how to get outa there.. so all these new fangled type gizmos are just another leash on you and subtract from the 'sperience.. mos guys are toy junkies and need their pacifiers to keep em.. pacified.. I prefer to just point the rig on a compass waypoint and head over the mountains, like that bear, to see what I could see. nuther mountain! ponchout

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Lol
Little black box on Bikes is never gonna happen. Although I'm very down for the whole dash/bar cam. Now if they paid me commission on the tickets they get from my cam that would be great$$$
Then I might consider another box up my ass. I come home to one now that needs info on a daily basis and doesn't like the bike so it won't be anything new!

Here's onething I am a bit concerned about. I got a garmin that has Bluetooth. I got my maps that distract me already and my BOX at home can call me on it (Thank You Bluetooth) which makes the roads even more dangerous for guys on bikes. I'm sure soon it will have texting on it.
My solution: enjoy the ride put the maps in your pocket if you get lost pull over whip out the garmin figure out your bearings and continue the ride!!!

Sent by Lordz of Fire!
I don't know if it will ever get to the point it could, or has, in some other places. But, I think to say there will never be a data recorder/black box on a motorcycle I think is having your head in the sand. It's just a matter of time.

News for ya...if you have a fuel injected/electronically controlled engine, likely there is already some data recording going on. Data recording that only factory, engineering-level tools can get to. Dealer stuff won't even see it or know it's there. I know this sort of thing exists. I've seen it, I've done it on the vehicles made by who I work for.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
wru,, and yor saying is that it can't be bypassed, disconnected and or completely replaced with some other system that doesn't collect data? Seems to me that in time a market should open up for 2nd tier back room shops to produce complete replacement processing units to operate efficiently w/o Uncle BoBo's hand up yor hiney. If a true market exist, a natural capitalist would fill that void with a solution... hmm, hmm. wonder what something like this is worth to the True Sons of Liberty? am seeing a bizness develop here.. hmm..

the otterside of what you are throwing down is that Capt NumNutz is gonna own our azz wether we like it or not. well put me down for a BIG NOT. somes of us are on the other side of this equation where we got not a whole lot left to lose and just as soon make a Big Splash on the way out if it even just slows down if not stops this Circus from coming to town. If the people of this country are so friggen stupid(ie.complacent and lazy) to let this happen,, well then they deserve to go the way of the dinosaur.. I dont want to be counted among them. they can take thier blakbox and stik it up thier blakhole. and then now you know. ponchout.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
If you drive a newer tractor trailer you are already living with most of this stuff now. Ontario Canada has a 105 km /65 mph limit and just last week we were downloaded at a weigh station by a diesel detective ( cop) to make sure our speed limiter was in place and at the legal setting (we are maxed out as a company at 100 kms / 62 mph). Truck computers are far more sophisticated than car black boxes and are already used in accident reconstruction. Endless loop windshield cams are also an available option by freightliner as well as gps satellite tracking and communications. here in Canada the legal wrangling continues on who owns the information and who has the legal right to see it at will. Transport companies say .. when the government pays for it they can have it, so far its been upheld as such unless a court order is issued to turn the information over. On board recorders are the next thing on the plate .... Get used to it folks, cause it ain't gonna change.

I deal with it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
wru,, and yor saying is that it can't be bypassed, disconnected and or completely replaced with some other system that doesn't collect data? Seems to me that in time a market should open up for 2nd tier back room shops to produce complete replacement processing units to operate efficiently w/o Uncle BoBo's hand up yor hiney. If a true market exist, a natural capitalist would fill that void with a solution... hmm, hmm. wonder what something like this is worth to the True Sons of Liberty? am seeing a bizness develop here.. hmm..

the otterside of what you are throwing down is that Capt NumNutz is gonna own our azz wether we like it or not. well put me down for a BIG NOT. somes of us are on the other side of this equation where we got not a whole lot left to lose and just as soon make a Big Splash on the way out if it even just slows down if not stops this Circus from coming to town. If the people of this country are so friggen stupid(ie.complacent and lazy) to let this happen,, well then they deserve to go the way of the dinosaur.. I dont want to be counted among them. they can take thier blakbox and stik it up thier blakhole. and then now you know. ponchout.
Couple of problems, not necessarily related to motorcycles but could be, however in general.

Emissions/EPA. Start selling stuff that messes with emissions and EPA? Well, for an individual, who's to say if you'd ever get caught. For a business that wants to sell more than a (relative) handful gadgets AND stay in business AND stay out of the poor house or prison, it's another matter.

Warranty. Believe it or not, people have to buy new stuff so we can buy used stuff. New stuff has warranty, sometimes fairly long warranty. Guess what you don't have if you mess with/disable the systems? Yep, warranty is gone; null, void, kaput. I can tell, without a doubt, if the brain has been unhooked laying on the shelf somewhere and just put back on the machine before the service tech got there.

Complexity. Every day it gets more complex. One more computer talking to all the rest. Can some braniac in a shop somewhere figure it out? Yeah, maybe, probably, but is it worth it? For what reason? At what cost?

In the years I've been involved in this sort of thing I don't recall every actually using this information against a customer. We have used it to understand what's happened and improve the design or make recommendations how to have it not happen again, that sort of thing. Is that the way it will always end up? Probably not, but I don't expect pursecution of our customers is a very good long term business plan.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
i understand the blakbox technology is here to stay. you have all read from my post that i dont give a dam about warranty or any other piece of (false) security because somebody is gonna take care of me. certainly not your Uncle BoBo and his brown shirts. I disconnect any and everything that I can. and then some more. if I have to jerry rig a system to function, i do that too. sure i am the anamoly in the bunch. most would just sit back and let others own their azz. i work at getting some of it back. yeah, that new truk is got some (lots) data on board. its mine. I'll destroy it before ever giving it up. When this gov'ment decides they want to know ever move I make,, well i will pony up the data,, it wont be real, but it will keep them at bay.. Sometime you find that there is something else you need to be doing. sucking up to the gov is not it. If everbody just keeps rolling over like mos you do,, well then you deserve what you get.. sure I will kick against the priks and smart for it. you know what, you only live once. I'd rather be a pain in the ass to every friggen gov official than just roll over like so many sheep. I will continue to go against the fray.. been doing it all my life and not about to roll over anytime soon. ponchout

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Ponch, nothing personal, but I think you've gone off the deep end. :)

I guess in certain situations one often gets what they ask for. Sorta like the folks that like to hassle the police...then bitch because they got hauled off to jail. Huh? Imagine that? Cause and effect are a mysterious thing, eh? Or, maybe not really that mysterious after all.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
this is not the end of the world.. but you can see it coming from here.. or not!

Ponch, nothing personal, but I think you've gone off the deep end. :)
wru, yes I have. am way too not pleased w/everbody wanting a piece of my azz.. Just Because they can.. teknology is paving the way.. only because they CAN own you, they feel they MUST own you.. perhaps you misread, no you didnt.. I comply as needed, "Bear'ly". but where ever I can shed this oppressive wieght of somebody else trying to live inside my life at every point, I rid myself of that krap..
just like all these new fangled Toys, you boys just love and love to play with. to me they are the biggest distraction from actually Living and Enjoying Life. yeah, I know they make life better..for you.. in my opinion, they make you Lazy. Dependant upon them. Sure you know how to regress to basic methods of figuring things out and getting them done.. We are Breeding a Generation of Fools who do not have a Clue as to how to tie their own shoes. When not If all this house of cards/smoke & mirrors comes falling down.. its built on such loose sand.. this whole world full of teknojunkies is gonna starve in the first 30days. 30/60/90 days. 3 half lives will thin the ranks substantially.
as my investment broker advised; best place to put your resources is in canned goods and ammo.. to keep the canned goods. ponchout

1 - 20 of 23 Posts