Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the economy here in Alberta continues to suck, especially the oil patch, I find myself laid off yet again. 3rd time in two years, each time it gets longer to get another job in my field.

So after getting my bike all back together and back on the road the other day, I thought I'd go for a day of wind therapy on Friday. Figured I'd have the roads to myself.

I stopped for lunch at an old hotel in a small town on a back road route that's normally popular with the bike crowd.

Because it was a Friday, it was full of mostly locals, but there was a few bikes out front. It was an amazing day out, so I wanted to sit on the patio, but every table was full. There was one table that had only a couple of guys at it, and they were obviously riding a couple of the bikes out front, so I asked if I could join them and they said sure!

Turns out that they worked together, and the one was the boss, and they were playing hooky from work that day to ride. They were sorry to hear of my situation, and both knew other people who worked in the patch that are out of work as well.

We had some good conversation, had some beers, some dam good burgers, and when it came time to settle up our tabs and get back to our rides, the one guy picked up the whole thing. Said he owed his boss from another time, and wanted to get mine because of my crapy situation.

Not a lot of people would do that, but I think most Bikers would.

Bikers are awesome people.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
As the economy here in Alberta continues to suck, especially the oil patch, I find myself laid off yet again. 3rd time in two years, each time it gets longer to get another job in my field.

So after getting my bike all back together and back on the road the other day, I thought I'd go for a day of wind therapy on Friday. Figured I'd have the roads to myself.

I stopped for lunch at an old hotel in a small town on a back road route that's normally popular with the bike crowd.

Because it was a Friday, it was full of mostly locals, but there was a few bikes out front. It was an amazing day out, so I wanted to sit on the patio, but every table was full. There was one table that had only a couple of guys at it, and they were obviously riding a couple of the bikes out front, so I asked if I could join them and they said sure!

Turns out that they worked together, and the one was the boss, and they were playing hooky from work that day to ride. They were sorry to hear of my situation, and both knew other people who worked in the patch that are out of work as well.

We had some good conversation, had some beers, some dam good burgers, and when it came time to settle up our tabs and get back to our rides, the one guy picked up the whole thing. Said he owed his boss from another time, and wanted to get mine because of my crapy situation.

Don't forget to "pay it forward" when your situation changes for the better and you can afford to do so. Yes, the biker culture can be one of the best vibes to be a part of.

Cheers! And good luck with your job situation.

Mike

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. No matter what you ride most bikers share a kindred spirit. Best of luck on your job search.

R

·
0 Posts
Rocnrol, feel your pain my man . May 31 is my last day at the factory ! 27 years and the company I work for is heading back to the mothership . When I found out last year the plant was closing, I went and found a clean used bike !!! Nothing has helped clear my head like a road trip . I'm taking a two week trip late July , early August to Louisiana from Illinois . Lots I haven't seen or places I've never been !!! Afterword....ill find something somewhere !!!! Gods speed brother , I'm there with you !!! Ride safe, ride often, have fun !!! P.s. They can't take your sense of humor !!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry about the job situation and hope it looks up.

Yes, biker people are the best. I just bought my first bike literally 3-4 weeks ago. Have been out riding every weekend since. I mainly ride solo and last weekend I went A1A to Jupiter... was a couple on a harley in front of me... at the red light they asked where I was going.. told them jupiter for no reason.. they said they were too and to follow them to a spot for lunch.. I was like HECK YEAH... We pulled into this cute place, had a drink and lunch and wouldn't you know they picked up the tab for me... said congrats on the bike, have fun riding and we exchanged #'s. Clyde and April. Cool people.

I feel so lucky. I look forward to paying this forward next time I'm out & about and hopefully run into a newbie... Such great folks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sorry about the job situation and hope it looks up.

Yes, biker people are the best. I just bought my first bike literally 3-4 weeks ago. Have been out riding every weekend since. I mainly ride solo and last weekend I went A1A to Jupiter... was a couple on a harley in front of me... at the red light they asked where I was going.. told them jupiter for no reason.. they said they were too and to follow them to a spot for lunch.. I was like HECK YEAH... We pulled into this cute place, had a drink and lunch and wouldn't you know they picked up the tab for me... said congrats on the bike, have fun riding and we exchanged #'s. Clyde and April. Cool people.

I feel so lucky. I look forward to paying this forward next time I'm out & about and hopefully run into a newbie... Such great folks.
Just let us know where you are heading next, lol
Most riders are great folks. There are always "others" in all walks of life. I have found the best to just start talking to folks, we truly are social creatures.

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for shout out MsLola ! Glad to hear your enjoying your bike and meeting great folks !!! You have started a journey that can last a lifetime if you want it to . Here is a web sight you mite like, just scanned it awhile back seemed ok. You be the judge, think your more qualified !!! Lol !!! WOMENRIDERSNOW.com, again I'm not endorsing it . Keep your head on a swivel and ears and eyes open !!! Ride safe, ride often, have fun !!! Later sister

·
Registered
56 Posts
Back when I was in the Navy, we used to love telling/hearing "sea stories". Just cool or weird things that happened to other sailors throughout their service.
Now that I'm riding, I'm finding that these "road stories" have that same vibe. They're great to hear about, and even more amazing when they actually happen to you.

Your situation may suck, rocnrol, but it sounds to me like your head is in the right place, which I think is more important. Here's hoping more great things like that ride come your way.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I'm picturing Black Diamond. I drive that southern loop through Turner Valley and 549 to Bragg Creek regularly if I need some wind therapy... like this morning. I have to agree with you, bikers and Albertans certainly pull together when it's needed. There is a ride this weekend (Sunday I believe) for the families affected by what's happening in Fort Mac right now. I'm trying to get there myself. If we're in the same neck of the woods we should go for a ride and discussions about work sometime. This weekend is a little crazy for me but during the week next week I have time, if you're game.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm picturing Black Diamond. I drive that southern loop through Turner Valley and 549 to Bragg Creek regularly if I need some wind therapy... like this morning. I have to agree with you, bikers and Albertans certainly pull together when it's needed. There is a ride this weekend (Sunday I believe) for the families affected by what's happening in Fort Mac right now. I'm trying to get there myself. If we're in the same neck of the woods we should go for a ride and discussions about work sometime. This weekend is a little crazy for me but during the week next week I have time, if you're game.
You pretty much nailed it, lol. It was at the hotel in Turner Valley ;) I'm booked Thursday next week, but totally open to getting together next week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay Great. I'm booked Monday Tuesday now, so why don't we say Wednesday? I'll send you a pm as well

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for shout out MsLola ! Glad to hear your enjoying your bike and meeting great folks !!! You have started a journey that can last a lifetime if you want it to . Here is a web sight you mite like, just scanned it awhile back seemed ok. You be the judge, think your more qualified !!! Lol !!! WOMENRIDERSNOW.com, again I'm not endorsing it . Keep your head on a swivel and ears and eyes open !!! Ride safe, ride often, have fun !!! Later sister

Thanks for the heads up on the site - I believe I read a few articles from there when doing research on bikes... Looking forward to riding this weekend if the bike's ready after the tune-up!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almost a year ago that I wrote this. I did this exact route on Saturday, it was another awesome spring day.

Stopped at the same ol hotel for a beer and food, and thought about this day a year ago, and felt good that my wife and I have managed to keep everything through the shit.

I've had a job for almost a year now, it's paying the bills, so that's OK.

Riding always helps.

Thanks again to those two guys.... They'll probably never know how much that meant to me.

James, we never did get that ride in. Always up for a rip.

Keep your knees to the breeze all!!

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
You pretty much nailed it, lol. It was at the hotel in Turner Valley ;) I'm booked Thursday next week, but totally open to getting together next week.
Jeez, I'll have to message you guys when I get back to Calgary from the farm. It would be great to meet up with you two.

We should take that breathtaking highway 40 between Longview and Kananaskis (wow did I ever spell that wrong, lol)

Much like the OP I was let go (redseal JM Millwright) and am having difficulty finding work, ah well. Still putting in 16-18 hour days at the farm getting the last of the seeding in the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts