Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always wave at everybody. Here in the south (Arkansas) it's very rare to have someone not wave. I wont wave to mopeds unless they wave first though lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I give Harley riders the big Forrest Gump wave when I see them, especially if I’m on my Grom

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering, too. Read a lot of things of who waves to whom and how. Basically like kind, i.e. cruiser to cruiser v (2 fingers victory) for v-twin (often used by HD), 2 fingers straight (parallel twin). Hand position/number of fingers also depends on handlebar/rider position due to kind of bike.
Whether to greet or not aside from safety/practicality reasons seems mostly about attitude.
Personally, I greet everything motorized on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Someone waves at me..meh sure I'll wave back, it's no biggie.
But I don't be waving at everyone passing by. I don't do it while I'm driving my truck or walking so why do it riding. ?
Thats just me, to each their own. ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
We ride on the wrong side of the road in the country I live in (Thailand) so its harder to wave at someone on your right side with your left hand. Either that or have to let go of the throttle. There is also the fact that almost half of the traffic in Thailand is bikes (scooters, trikes, mopeds, big bikes etc) so nobody waves to anyone anymore because otherwise the whole commute is spent waving. As a foreigner and a newbie to bigger bikes, I have tried to wave at some bigger bikes passing by, but they all just seem to be confused and wonder wtf do I want and why am I waving at them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Essonimex, Being from the UK originally, I believe you, Australia and many other countries ride on the correct side of the road.
I say this for the fact that one mounts and dismounts from a horse on the Left Hand Side. All motorcycles have the kickstand on the LHS so that we dismount and mount from the left.
When you consider that N.America drives on the RHS, one is always dismounting by leaning into the path of the flow of traffic. For those driving on the LHS, they are leaning into the kerb. (curb in N.Am.) A much safer place to be!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you misunderstood. Right-hand side IS the right side. Thailand just like the UK and Australia ride on the WRONG side of the road, the left one. Do note I'm saying "wrong" side because majority of the world drives on the right hand, my country of origin included. Americans have to be awkward with their measurement systems, all the countries with British influence have to be awkward by driving on the opposite side of the road I guess.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wave to all motorcycle riders.
Not to mopeds.
In the state where I live the government has made special provision for repeat offender drunk drivers can still ride a speed governed moped.
95% of folks on mopeds are repeat offender drunk drivers.
I don't wave to the drunks on liquorsickles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wave to all motorcycle riders.
Not to mopeds.
In the state where I live the government has made special provision for repeat offender drunk drivers can still ride a speed governed moped.
95% of folks on mopeds are repeat offender drunk drivers.
I don't wave to the drunks on liquorsickles.
What state do you live in? Thats crazy!

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 ABS
35 Posts
I wave to anything on less than 4 wheels, LEOs and pedestrians, circumstances permitting. If they wave back, you've been noticed, and being noticed when riding is safest. I've occasionally not noticed an oncoming bike due to obstructions, etc, and not returned a wave, and I have had the same occur. I don't take it personally, you have no clue what they have going on. Could be downshifting, concerned for an obstruction ahead of them, or they left the stove on at home.

99% of riders are there for the fresh air and awesome community. Never have I head someone go "awe man, I have to ride my bike today." Hell, I know a couple guys who ride even in snow and rain. (I can't wrap my head around it.)

·
Registered
2020 VN900 Classic LT
28 Posts
In the 70's everybody waved when on the highway. I never passed anyone who didn't. I remember riding by about a dozen Hell's Angels once and every one of them waved.

Into the 80's when the big Japanese cruisers with bags and fairings became popular, a lot of them never bothered. They wouldn't even wave back. That's when I thought the practice was dying. I haven't been on a bike since 1990. Good to hear it's still done 30 years later...

As a side note, I also have a Jeep Wrangler.. Most Wrangler owner's wave at each other as well. So I'll be doing lots of waving on the highway this summer :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why didn't the crotch rocket biker wave? His left hand was busy smoothing down the back of his T shirt. Why didn't the Gold Wing wave back? He was on a 3 way cell call with his Stock Broker and Accessories Dealer.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts