Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty stupid about the various makers and models of V-twin bikes, knowing practically nothing about them, other than what I see here.

After a 30 year layoff and coming from a Honda 750 and dirt bikes, I decided to get back into riding in August of last year, but wanted a V-twin, cuz I like the looks.

Well, I didn't know what to buy and had no friends that rode at the time, so I just looked around a few dealerships and practically bought the first bike that I liked, which is my 900 Classic LT. I almost bought a Honda VTX 1300, which I really liked better than the 900, but I was afraid of the size/weight.

Now, I've got almost 10k miles on the 900 and am looking into another bike to add to or replace the 900.

If I had the money, I'd buy a Harley that has all the goodies and looks that I want and like. There are a couple of Harley touring/bagger models that I really love the looks of, right off the showroom floor. But, they're so dam expensive..... :( OTOH, I'd love to have one of those blue Voyagers, which I think is one really sharp looking bike. Confliction and confusion reign..... :rolleyes:

Never been a joiner and don't care about cliques or trophy type stuff, so couldn't care less about the make of my bikes. I just want a good, solid, big bagger type ride that makes my eyes, back and butt happy. The only exception to that is the lack of aftermarket goodies for Kawi and other Jap bikes. There are tons of goodies available for Harleys that you'll never see for Kawi. I understand the reasons for that, but that doesn't make it a happy thing...

Anyway, I'm really pretty lost on Harley, Star, Yamaha, Honda and other V-twin bikes and have no idea really on what I should be looking at and ignoring. Price is always a factor, so I'll probably stick with Kawi and get a nice V2k if I can find a good one or maybe a good Nomad. I like the Nomads but I think that I want a fairing instead of windshield.

I know that the Goldwing is a top touring bike, but I just don't like the looks of those bikes. Dunno if I'd be better off getting a V-4 or inline 4, rather than sticking with the V-Twins....

Eventually, well within 10 years I suspect, the new bike will have to become a trike, cuz I'm getting old and feeble. :( I really regret having lost those 30+ years of riding and hope to be able to ride, even if only a trike, right up to the day I die. I figure that the new bike will be the last one that I buy, unless I win the lotto or something.

Would there be a good reason to buy a bike with a shaft drive rather than belt, if the end game is a trike? I dunno but probably should figure that out.

Sorry for the confusing rant and if you've made it this far, would really like to see your thoughts and comments on any or all of the stuff I touched.

thanks

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for your thoughts, Ponch.

You misread me. I don't have to have a Harley. It's the only bike I've seen that has it all, for looks, in the showroom. Looks are only part of the equation. I figure I can make any bike, look like I want, but I don't want to be stupid about it. If it costs me $23k to buy a Harley and $21K to make another bike look and run the way I want, plus a bunch of fooling around, time wasted. Then, the latter is not a smart choice.

I just want to try to make the best choice to begin with. I don't know how a Harley rides, so will have to try one. Same with some other bikes.

I tend to agree with you about the water cooling. I think it's a better deal.

I don't understand what you're saying about the Long Stroke motor. What bikes would that be, a specific brand or just a certain size, like 1600cc or larger?

hmmm, your fairing thought is intriguing. Maybe I should buy one for the 900 and try it out. :)

thanks again

·
Registered
546 Posts
I heard some Charlie Davidson dealers will let you test ride some of their bikes, if not you can always rent one. I have the vn2000 it's great on the highway very stable but a little difficult for me to manuver at slow speeds aka parking lots, Im 53 years old and all of my bikes have been metric's most Kawasaki because that is what I enjoy riding , but mostly all of my friends ride Charlie Davidsons, they are very proud of their bikes, but Im also proud of mine.

do your research and make the right choice good luck

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am 60...and female...and ride a V2K. It is a big bike but I have no real trouble at low speeds, etc. As Ponch says, it has tons of torque and always responds powerfully. It is my third bike as I have been learning what works for me and this one is a keeper...

It is not a bagger, but I have a great touring seat ( the Russell Daylong ) and the Tsukayu 'strong' hard bags on it and that provides tons of room to pack stuff for our trips. It is an absolute dream to ride long distances....

Good luck with your choice...and dont go for the trike too early... ;)
Annie

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think the best thing you can do is just get out and put your but on all the bike you can test ride and see witch one talks to you and says I was built for you That's what I did before I traded my 04 nomad for my 2011 Vic Vision and I have been very happy every since. IMHO it don't make a difference what you ride just that you are happy with what you ride.
I steal love the Kawi's and still have my first one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton for the replies, folks! :waving:

Ponch, great info, thanks for explaining that for me. The V2k is the top of my list. :drool: Are the 1600s and 1700s from ma Kaw also Long Stroke?

I'll bite the bullet and get a Memphis Shades for the 9. I need better cold protection for this winter anyway. Then, I can move it to the next bike when the time comes. :p

Annie, Angel and RHK, thanks for your thoughts. Good stuff. Annie, if you weren't already married, I'd be chasing you around! ;) I hear ya about doin the trike too early. My plan is to hold off on that as long as possible, but I don't want to miss any riding because of waiting too long. Ideally, I'll be able to keep the 9 and ride it the last couple of months that I'd need to get the new bike converted to trikedom. The 9 is easier to throw around than a biggie, so, in theory, that will work out okay as I get more feeble and stupid as old age sets in. Plus, if I crash it, rather than the new bike, I won't be out much. :D

Heh, I wish that I could afford all of the bikes that I want. Jay Leno would be jealous. :eek:

thanks again.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think I got the pitcher, Ponch. The 1700s that I've ridden, seem to have all the power that I'd want, but the low end power band seems like it would be ideal for a trike. I rather doubt that I'd be abusing it, running high RPMs cuz I don't like to do that on the 9, where it seems Ma Kaw wants folks to run.

Thanks again for all the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts