Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 20 miles with some buddies last night to get milkshakes. When we got on the bikes to head back home my 3-week old classic wouldn't start. It cranked over and over but wouldn't fire. It's never failed to fire right up. I let it sit for about 8-10 minutes and tried again. Fired right up.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
67 Posts
3 week old classic that wouldn't start real piss me off for sure. Time for a trip to the dealer for a look over but watch you get there there look at it. and then there tell you cant find a thing wrong with it. when if ready breaks then the dealers will finally help. Some dealers have ran into are like this. Just make sure you check those battery connects could be loose hopeful that all it is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yea check the battery.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
May be a Vapor Loc...never happened to me. Next time try just releasing the pressure by opening the fuel cap and then close. Battery connections sound fine if the bike cranks over.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
1. Did u inadvertently throttle before the start? (Bike flooded))
2. Idle set too low. (Turn idle up, knob on breather)
3. Dirty gas. (Run some Seafoam or similar product through system)
4. Dirty air filter (check and replace)
5. Fouled plugs (check, replace)
I hope these simple ideas help, generally speaking, trouble like this is a simple fix. Don't overthink it.
Regards, SH.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happened to me twice on my (then) new Custom.

Both times it happened, I had turned the key just a shade past 'on'. The fuel pump had started pressurizing, then stopped when I turned the key too far. It cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. I turned the ignition to off, waited a tick, then turned it on again. Fired right up...both times.

Don't know if that's what happened to you, but that's the experience I had the two times mine wouldn't start. Of course, my trip to the dealer was fruitless for me as they couldn't find anything wrong with her...

-neil

·
Registered
39 Posts
+1 to tkerugger. Did it the other day while trying to leave the bar! was just a touch past on somehow. Shut it off, tried again, fired right up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought a new '09 Vulcan 900 Custom. Traded in a '05 Z-750 to help pay for it. I was trying to adjust my headlights, which meant adjusting beam against garage door with the cycle running, driving off into the night a short distance, readjusting, again. Heard my fan kicking on a lot. Just when I thought I had it done, I turned off the engine to do something real quick. Came back a few minutes later, wouldn't start. Turned over, noticed the oil light blinking while trying to turn over. Was hot, humid, about 90 degrees out. I think the engine was just too warm and some safety thing kicked in to keep from damaging engine. Left it alone overnight, started fine next morning. Been fine for the past week. Just have over 600 miles on it so far. Casual observation, I like my new Vulcan 900 but just doesn't seem as 'tight' as my Z-750 was. Fan kicks on the Vulcan more too in this Kansas summer heat than the Z did. Not unexpected going from
Z-750 to a Vulcan, I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeez, same exact thing happened to my bike. first day I owned it. I rode up to my sisters house and wanted to show off how much easier it starts compare to her Harley. Cranked forever, no start, until I cycled the key. It did it about 5 more times over 2 months.I took it to the dealer for first service. Told them in detail what happened. They had it for 3 days and called Mamma Kaw. Got the bike back with a shrug from the service advisor. He said they didn't find anything.But strangely enough, it hasn't done it since. I suspect a connection problem or something they checked like a ground.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Both times it happened, I had turned the key just a shade past 'on'. The fuel pump had started pressurizing, then stopped when I turned the key too far. It cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. I turned the ignition to off, waited a tick, then turned it on again. Fired right up...both times.

Don't know if that's what happened to you, but that's the experience I had the two times mine wouldn't start. Of course, my trip to the dealer was fruitless for me as they couldn't find anything wrong with her...

-neil
I think that was the problem. I recreated it last night. Glad to know that's all it is!

·
Registered
60 Posts

-neil
I have had this exact same thing happen twice to my 900. Less than 1700 miles on it. It was the 2nd time that I realized I did not hear the pump pressurize like normal. Key off, then on, let the pump cycle and it fired right up.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Just as a point of interest...don't crank the starter for more than 5 seconds at a time. Then wait. You will scorch it or lessen it's life. Glad you found the trouble.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have had this exact same thing happen twice to my 900. Less than 1700 miles on it. It was the 2nd time that I realized I did not hear the pump pressurize like normal. Key off, then on, let the pump cycle and it fired right up.
I think I had this happen to me last night. I had just changed the oil & filter at 600 miles on the odometer and started her up to get the oil filling in the nooks / crannies. I turned her off, topped of the oil and tried to start her again. Starter would crank but no firing after the usual 1 second starter push.

Cut-off switch? Check.
Kick stand up? Check.
Neutral? Check.
Clutch in? Check.
Oil light on? Check.

Starter was doing its job but could never get her to start firing. WTF. :confused:

So I shut off the key and then turned it back on. Hit the starter and she fired right up just like normal. Thankfully I found this thread so I can now just mark this down as nothing more than the quirkiness of the Vulcan and nothing more serious. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had it on my 2015 classic LT. The FI lights flashed as it cranked. I assumed at the time as it was on the side stand that it was the sensor that detects if the bike lays over. Only did this s few times. Each time turn key off and on then fire right up. I not convinced that was my problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take a look at your battery connectors, it is possible they got thin layer of dirt on them
and that can cause problems with starting the engine ...
or rusty or corroded fuse box may cause the similar problem ...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't believe that this sort of problem is normal. I've not had it with my '07 900. Mine will not crank at all with the side stand down and the trans. in gear, but it always does with the trans. in neutral. If the FI light actually flashes while the starter is cranking that likely indicates either a problematic connection or a bad or weak battery. When I got my bike new the OEM battery lasted for only a year - I suspect that the dealer had allowed it to sulfate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts