Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Very new to riding. Only been riding about 4yrs. I will try my best to explain everything. Please keep in mind my knowledge of bikes is slim to none.

So I bought a 1997 vulcan vn800 for just under 2k and jeez louise did it have a lot of problems. Have gotten most things changed and replaced. Needed mirrors indicators new seat etc. Mostly cosmetic replaces. Long road to being road ready but the only trouble now is it won't start. To start it I have to use something metal (I use an Allen/ hex key) to touch the relay im guessing? To get the bike to run then press ignition to start it. Once its started we're off no problems. Hoping its not an expensive fix.

At first I thought it was the battery cos the starter did nothing. So I've already bought a new battery. But apart from that have no clue. Wondering would it be the relay box and how do I check if it is?

I can jump start it and push start it but thats not very convenient if those options aren't available especially if I have to do it everytime I fuel up. I have to take my seat off everytime and start it with a allen/ hex key.

Please help. If pics would help let me know and I'll take a pic of where you want to check on the bike or video if my explanation made no sense. 🤦‍♂️

Open to all suggestions but tools is a luxury I don't have. Just the usual socket set Allen key set and power tools. (Carpenter)

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you can get the bike running it’s most likely and electrical issue you’re up against. Coukd be as simple as a corroded wire, pics would definitely help.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
check inside the Junction Box that is found under your seat, check that the 10 amp ignition fuse is ok, or else maybe the Start Relay is bad, or the problem is with Starter Lockout switch on the handle bars on the left side, i think its at the clutch lever, maybe that switch is not working, but if you can jump start it and bike starts then that starter lockout switch might be ok, but what I don't understand is when you use allen key to bypass starter relay and press starter button on right side handle bars the motor starts, but i would check the 10A ignition fuse in the Junction Box first

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Registered
984 Posts
Pictures of what the allen wrench is touched to would be great.
We are scratching our head on what that is all about.
And since as you put it not great with this stuff, I won't tell you to check the nuclear pressure of the thing-a-ma-bob.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
maybe it needs a new fuse

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, photos please. There is a Main fuse on the starter relay, its a 30A - check it,
but if you can jump the bike its probably OK.
I would check all the fuses under the seat, 10A for horn, tail lights, etc., and ignition.
Doesn't look like the fuses effect the starter relay or solenoid.

There is a starter relay inside the junction box, the "brain" - That controls the starter relay (with the 30A fuse)
Junction box relay is controlled by the Neutral Safety Switch (so make sure its in neutral and actually if that switch is working correctly). also controlled by "starter lock out" (think that's the clutch handle, I'm looking at the wire diagram).
Also controlled by the Kickstand Switch.

so, kickstand down, clutch lever in, bike in neutral, and it should start with the handlebar button.

Hey, also, do you know the starter switch on the handlebar is good?
Have a multi meter with continuity checking?

·
Registered
255 Posts
if all your fuses are good first i would do is unbolt the kickstand switch.
see if it cranks.
Then pull in the clutch lever, see if you can hear it clicking.
if it's making noise Tie the clutch lever to the handlebar, like you have the clutch pulled in. Rope, electrical tape, velcro, pulled all the way in.
have a buddy hold the starter button and jiggle the shifter up and down from neutral to first and up to second (you are trying to see if the switch is adjusted and working).
If non of that makes any change I say its the starter relay, or the starter button. Relay is about $10 used on ebay. starter button can be sanded clean if you take it off the handlebar to clean.

let us know what you find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts