Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 Vulcan custom. After having it sit on the shelf for over a year, I tried starting it and SURPRISE! it won't start.

But here's the thing - the battery is fine, and so are the spark plugs. By spraying some engine starter into the carburator, it starts right up and runs great. Turning it off and back on immediately, and it starts up again. But if it sits and cools off for a few minutes, then it won't start again until I spray more engine starter in it.

Once it's up and running, performance seems to be perfect.

I'm no mechanic, and I have no idea what would cause this, but it seems unique enough that some smart people should have some ideas right away.

Thoughts?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
I'd dump the gas, put in new gas with some seafoam in it as well.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
not carburated

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
If the fuel was not properly treated before letting it sit for a year, you likely have solidified gasoline in the lines. Guess how I found this out? :mad: :D

Seafoam might clear it out if you can get it to run long enough to circulate it. Otherwise, you're looking at a teardown of the throttle body, injectors and for sure I would replace the fuel filter. The stuff gets to be like something between molasses and rubber cement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts