Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I fired my bike up after sitting for about a month. Ran for a few mins then stopped. Couldn't get it started again. I tried again a few days later and still nothing. It only runs for a few seconds using ether but I can't keep it running on ether. I also noticed that when ever I give it throttle there is no gas shooting out of the jet between the air filter and the carb slide. I checked the gas and it has plenty and there is gas getting to it. Don't know what to do here don't wanna pull the carb off if I dont have to

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have you tried the PRI position of the fuel petcock for a while? That will bypass the vacuum operation and just allow fuel down. Sounds like a clog in either the petcock, fuel line, or carb. Since you said it ran for a minute then died, and the carb has the smallest passageways I'd bet that.

To (quick) flush it you can turn the valve to PRI, place a tube under the carb drain, and loosen the drain plug (bottom of carb bowl - like a 3mm or 4mm socket head cap screw). If fuel doesnt pour out for 30 seconds straight and the tank vent is good, it's plugged and you'll have to take the carb off to clean it. It only takes an hour or so if you have never done it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I drained the bowl to see if there was gas in there and it was. I drained it completely and then went back to trying to start with ether and after screwing with it I stopped. While looking around the carb gas start flooding out of the hole where the needle goes into the bottom of the throttle hole. I hit the starter and it started kinda and I kept at it and now it's running. The weird thing is when I hit the throttle the gas is coming out of that hole where the needle goes through instead of that little jet. That's not right is it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gas will come out around the needle at part throttle conditions. The little jet/tube before the needle is an accelerator pump to avoid a lean condition when you initially hammer it. However, gas should not come out around the needle (through the main jet) with the engine off. I am no expert but sounds like the float is stuck open. May be a piece of crud in there.

If it stays running, try using seafoam if you're not already. If you can find the shop manual online and have a free afternoon Id recommend taking the carb off and cleaning it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas will come out around the needle at part throttle conditions. The little jet/tube before the needle is an accelerator pump to avoid a lean condition when you initially hammer it. However, gas should not come out around the needle (through the main jet) with the engine off. I am no expert but sounds like the float is stuck open. May be a piece of crud in there.

If it stays running, try using seafoam if you're not already. If you can find the shop manual online and have a free afternoon Id recommend taking the carb off and cleaning it.
Well I just did the gramp mod last winter so the carb is clean and I also put a fuel filter on it in the fall. But I got her fired up and eventually gas stopped coming out of the hole. Your probably right something was stuck in there but I guess it came out because I took her on s good 15 min ride with no problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts