Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I need a little help here. Just finished the first oil change on my '06 V2K. Simple enough, right? Followed instructions and advice given various forums. Rotella t6 that all say. "It's the shit!" they all say. Now she won't fire. Cranks and cranks, but nada. I've ruled out all the, "Dave, you're an idiot." mistakes I think I'm capable of - like not in neutral, key in wrong position, kill switch off, etc. Charging the battery now as I've run it nearly dead trying to start it. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Still just cranks with no fire. Letting it sit on the tender over nite. Still hoping for a simple solution. Maybe battery, fuse, or kick stand switch. Beyond that, I'm lost. Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Nope. Still just cranks with no fire. Letting it sit on the tender over nite. Still hoping for a simple solution. Maybe battery, fuse, or kick stand switch. Beyond that, I'm lost. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Hmmm...that is odd...

1) Have you checked to see if you're "getting spark" from your plug wire(s) to ground?

2) Triple check that you do in fact have the killswitch closed...done that one toooo many times to count, my friend
3) Extending/retracting kstand while starting
4) Check that petcock is open/on
5) Fuel in tank...yes done that one too

Will update if anything else comes to mind...midnight here...very tireZZZzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
225 Posts
How much oil did you put in? Chances are its just a low battery and it will fire up in the morning. If not, I would pull the plugs and check them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5.5 qts. Then added about a half more at someone's urging. But didn't see how that would have prevented it from firing. Been on tender all night and still does not have full charge (according to the red light on the tender, I have not attempted to turn her over yet). So I'm leaning toward battery at this point. Just confounded as to why it chose this precise moment to shit the bed. Again, it turned over and ran fine just before I dumped the oil. <shrug>

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Did you knock the oil pressure sensor plug off or loose?

·
Registered
225 Posts
5.5 qts. Then added about a half more at someone's urging. But didn't see how that would have prevented it from firing. Been on tender all night and still does not have full charge (according to the red light on the tender, I have not attempted to turn her over yet). So I'm leaning toward battery at this point. Just confounded as to why it chose this precise moment to shit the bed. Again, it turned over and ran fine just before I dumped the oil. <shrug>
Take the battery to Autozone or Orielly's and have it tested. Could just be a coincidence that it took a shiz the same time. It happens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...no bad fuses. And no start with a jump. Fouled the plugs somehow? Messed up the fuel line maybe? I don't know. 'Bout ready to blow a gasket myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. So I'm not convinced it's the battery. Thanks to PA UL, I ran a few tests. Pulled a plug wire and there is no spark at all. So there's enough juice to push the starter and crank the motor. But nothing to make fire. Any other thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Check the plug on the Rectilator® (the regulator/rectifier thingie). I don't know that this would cause what you're talking about, I'm just trying to think of things that might have got bumped while you were playing around. The oil filter is close it so maybe it got moved enough to cause a broken or intermittent connection.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Take a battery reading of your vehicle to make sure meter is working correctly.

How do you know battery is OK? How and who tested?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts