Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello guys

ive got a 2005 vn2000 that ive owned for about a year. riding home from work at night i hit a rather large pothole and bike started running bad. i limped it home and pulled my seat and i found that i had crushed my power commander between me 300lbs and my rear shock. i replaced the powercomander and took it to local dealer to have mapped just like my last one. now i have no change in how my bike runs. dies all the time backfires pops bangs black smoke fouled plugs wont idle(idles adjusted all the way up) poor fuel mileage. i pulled the powercomander off put on factory intake system. pretty much back to stock and bikes still wont run normal or as it did before.

need some help alot of help i think

thanks
grant snider
amarillo texas

·
Registered
91 Posts
hello guys

ive got a 2005 vn2000 that ive owned for about a year. riding home from work at night i hit a rather large pothole and bike started running bad. i limped it home and pulled my seat and i found that i had crushed my power commander between me 300lbs and my rear shock. i replaced the powercomander and took it to local dealer to have mapped just like my last one. now i have no change in how my bike runs. dies all the time backfires pops bangs black smoke fouled plugs wont idle(idles adjusted all the way up) poor fuel mileage. i pulled the powercomander off put on factory intake system. pretty much back to stock and bikes still wont run normal or as it did before.

need some help alot of help i think

thanks
grant snider
amarillo texas

Is there a way to test the ECU and maybe the regulator under the radiator. Sounds like a computer issue. If you'll hold on a while I bet the Panchonator :cool: will come the rescue. :D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
more like the Panaramanater... for those who really fly their ships to far off places

Is there a way to test the ECU and maybe the regulator under the radiator. Sounds like a computer issue. If you'll hold on a while I bet the Panchonator :cool: will come the rescue. :D
well that one won't fly, Past 'er. there be a goodly amount of mor 'sperienced wrench'rs n 'lectricians lurking about. but am much obliged to lend an o'pinion when wherever seems appropriate, or not?

mr 300, I'd suspect that when the gravity of yor situation came in contact with the seatpan doing the compression thing upon that wizbang powercommander that a spike of 'lectrons found their way to your ECU and scrambled its normal set of destruction commands that provide a degree of normalcy of operation. since that no longer exists, it may require you to dig into the bowels of that beast and pull the ECU for evaluation and/or replacement.
In my humblest regards for reconstruction project of the innards of yor airship, I offer that you NOT put that powercommander back where you found it. but rather toss those cheap set of tools and relocate the pc to that area. This will allow for quick access under lock side cover and also with a sturdy frame member 'tween you n the money, afford compression protection should another unavoidable pothole sneak up on you.

or just wait for someone else to chime in with thier .02 out, ponch

·
Registered
91 Posts
well that one won't fly, Past 'er. there be a goodly amount of mor 'sperienced wrench'rs n 'lectricians lurking about. but am much obliged to lend an o'pinion when wherever seems appropriate, or not?

mr 300, I'd suspect that when the gravity of yor situation came in contact with the seatpan doing the compression thing upon that wizbang powercommander that a spike of 'lectrons found their way to your ECU and scrambled its normal set of destruction commands that provide a degree of normalcy of operation. since that no longer exists, it may require you to dig into the bowels of that beast and pull the ECU for evaluation and/or replacement.
In my humblest regards for reconstruction project of the innards of yor airship, I offer that you NOT put that powercommander back where you found it. but rather toss those cheap set of tools and relocate the pc to that area. This will allow for quick access under lock side cover and also with a sturdy frame member 'tween you n the money, afford compression protection should another unavoidable pothole sneak up on you.

or just wait for someone else to chime in with thier .02 out, ponch
Poncho,
Well I for one really enjoy your posts as I imagine most around here do. Your knowledge on these beasts and others has helped me get over some high hurdles myself. Thanks for all your input.

Is there a way, besides trial and error, to test these ECU's? On the wife's Volvo my son was able to hook a little electronic gizmo to check the codes. Is there such an animal out there for these two wheeler types?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys.

i did order and try a brand new ecu pn 21175-0059 that i ordered from the dealer a few weeks ago with no change. i returned it because had no change it the way the bike ran. i do have a friend that has a 04 v2k and it shows to use the same ecu. i have been thru every connector on theis wiring harness and found no major issues. just cleaned all connectors and resecured. i will probley try my friends ecu again after ive done all of this. ill let ya know later this afternoon how it goes.

thanks
Grant

·
Registered
240 Posts
I might be stating the obvious, but have you checked the battery connections or battey output? These beasts don't like poor electrical connections or low voltage. Also, check the connectors on the regulators for corrosion, dirt or poor contact. Lot's of problems caused by the rectifiers getting moisture inside their connectors.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Pull the plugs and describe "exactly" what you see. Note any differences, front to back and side to side.

Post back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts